Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies

Does This Make Sense?

I'm planing to make a 3/4 length summer uq, 3-season tq, and pillow. I plan for these to be clones of the Phoenix, Burrow, and HG pillow. Combined with my winter Incubator (which I LOVE ), these should get me through any weather I'm likely to face here in the South. I have 30oz of 800 FP down to work with, which should be enough to put 6oz in the uq, 15oz in tq, and 3oz in the pillow. My plan is to use 1.1 ripstop for the outer shells of both quilts and Momentum 90™ for the inner shells and the pillow. This will be my first experience sewing other than hand-stiching a pair of TTs. Does my plan make sense? Are there other fabrics I should consider? Does the 1.1 ripstop for the outer shells need to have DWR, or is that just a luxury item? Thanks for helping me take the plunge!

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    I've got no answers for you, brother, but I subscribed to this thread!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    looking forward to seeing your finished product!

have fun

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It looks like a good plan.

Honestly though, I wouldn't bother using the expensive Momentum fabric for the underquilt, unless you were using it for the whole thing. The minimal amount of weight savings compared to standard 1.1 wouldn't make it worth it.

The biggest benefit of Momentum, to me, is that it feels softer than 1.1 ripstop. Great for a top quilt.

If it were me, I'd make the entire top quilt of Momentum and the entire underquilt of 1.1. Of course, if money is no object, I'd use Momentum for all of it.

Just my opinions.

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowAlpha View Post
    looking forward to seeing your finished product!

have fun
    Don't get too eager. It will take me a while, and I make no promises on the quality of the finished product!

Quote Originally Posted by JerryW View Post
    If it were me, I'd make the entire top quilt of Momentum and the entire underquilt of 1.1. Of course, if money is no object, I'd use Momentum for all of it.

Just my opinions.

Jerry
    Makes sense. I will definitely use all 1.1 for the uq, and I'll use Momentum for either the entire tq or just the inner shell.

Does anyone know how important the DWR coating is for an uq or tq outer shell? The 1.1 uncoated is lighter and much cheaper than 1.1 DWR.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    First of all, it (your project) sounds great. Sounds like by the end of it all, you will have great gear and a great source of pride whenever you get to use it.

Second, You definitely don't need the DWR for a top quilt (I'm jealous of the Mom90), but it might come in handy for the outside layer of the UQ. Not really necessary though, IMO if you set your tarp correctly and pick your locations well.

Important to remember to have fun and post pictures as you go or at least afterwards. We love pictures!

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    1.9 oz DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    DIY sil 10X12 camo
    Insulation
    Dwn SB/dwn DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Does anyone know how important the DWR coating is for an uq or tq outer shell? The 1.1 uncoated is lighter and much cheaper than 1.1 DWR.[/QUOTE]

From the way I understand it the DWR just gives you a little splash/wind blown resistance from precipitation, so your down doesnt get wet. You can always use regular 1.1 oz nylon and add a spray dwr at a later time if you want. I just made two unerquilts and I used regualar 1.1 oz nylon and plan to spray them. my .02
    Last edited by harrell79cj5; 06-09-2011 at 13:43. Reason: Apparently I cant spell From...form

Are you planning to make an oversized topquilt? 15oz of down in the topquilt sounds like a winter quilt to me, not a 3-season. You might be able to use quite a bit less (say, 11-12 oz instead of 15oz).

Do you have any plans for your leftover down? Booties, hats, ???. Fun!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by jayo View Post
    Are you planning to make an oversized topquilt? 15oz of down in the topquilt sounds like a winter quilt to me, not a 3-season. You might be able to use quite a bit less (say, 11-12 oz instead of 15oz).

Do you have any plans for your leftover down? Booties, hats, ???. Fun!
    The HG 3-season tq has 12oz of 900 FP down, which translates into roughly 13.5oz 800 FP down. I'm going to make mine a little bit wider, so 15oz should be pretty close according to my math...maybe 14.5oz.

I bet that I won't have much/any left over down. This being my 1st experience with down (or sewing machines for that matter), I foresee little tufts of down covering my entire living room for many months to come! I'm certainly open to ideas though. I may even attempt a summer tq with the leftovers and just sew through instead of baffling. In the Georgia summer, you don't really need insulation, but I personally need something on top of me to sleep well!

Hammock
    1.9 oz DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    DIY sil 10X12 camo
    Insulation
    Dwn SB/dwn DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakozacho View Post
    The HG 3-season tq has 12oz of 900 FP down, which translates into roughly 13.5oz 800 FP down. I'm going to make mine a little bit wider, so 15oz should be pretty close according to my math...maybe 14.5oz.

I bet that I won't have much/any left over down. This being my 1st experience with down (or sewing machines for that matter), I foresee little tufts of down covering my entire living room for many months to come! I'm certainly open to ideas though. I may even attempt a summer tq with the leftovers and just sew through instead of baffling. In the Georgia summer, you don't really need insulation, but I personally need something on top of me to sleep well!
    Use a tent for stuffing the down!! Its all they are good for now anyway...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast