Planet Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 9x12
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Tree Slings

Cheap Hammock And Potential Regret

I just bought a cheap hammock while I save up for an ENO or something similar.

The hammock I bought is this one:

http://www.hammocks.com/hammocks/fab...kethammock.cfm

But I did not buy it there, but rather through Amazon for about 16.50 USD which came to 24 USD after s&h. The only reason I put this link in was because it has more pics of the actual hammock

This is not the more commonly known company by the name of Hammock Bliss, but rather another one that is called Bliss Hammocks that makes mostly patio backyard frame hammocks

I noticed this company has 2 different styles of portable pocket hammocks.

One is the type I see used here a lot and then there is the type I purchased above with many strands of paracord coming out from the end of the actual hammock.

I do not know what style anyone would call this hammock. Would you called it a naval hammock, or jungle hammock, or something else?

I have been trying to put together a BOB on the cheap, and the price and packed size (6" x 8") of this item qualified for this, and although I have not received it in parcel yet, I think I should have opted for something else. Oh well, too late, it's on it's way.

I will need a different suspension system then the one provided, if I am to use this, which I would like straps and carabiners for it. I am concerned with pack weight on the hammock, I have no idea how much this thing weighs, but I am guessing I could have done better in the weight department.

I looked at other pocket hammocks, and price and color (green and or khaki) requirements at this time kept me away from final purchase.

The other considerations were the GTU travel, hammock bliss, and out of the more obscure hammock companies, for some reason by impulse based on price, I purchased this one.

Would this be a halfway decent camping hammock, or is this one just for backyards?
    "What's that big funny looking banana thing hanging over there by those two trees?" said little Billy Bear to his mama. "I think it is called a pinata and it is filled with goodies." she replied. "You must bap it around first and then tear it open to find out what wonderful tasty things it holds for us tonight, little Billy. Let us go play with it now." she continued.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I went out for a backpacking trip once in Virginia and forgot my hammock so I picked one up from REI that looks similar -- string/cords tied at the ends. The overall width and length is okay, but it isn't my favorite for camping. I mostly use in when lounging indoors or when the kids want to romp in a hammock.

The biggest problem for me with these types of hammocks (with strings on the ends) is that they get tangled so easily. Packing and stuffing wreaks havoc with the strings. Sometimes under quilts are difficult to attach.

My favorite "cheap" hammock that I often use is the grand trunk ultralight. It's inexpensive (you can find it for $15-20), lightweight, and has a great lay. I recommend it to all my friends and relatives who want to try hammock camping without the expense.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Tree straps & CRL
    I started off with a cheap WallyWorld hammock that has the same bunch of cords at the ends. As dejoha said the main problem is with the cords getting tangled. I have been careful stuffing it into its bag and the tangling was never a major problem. I am 220lbs and found the hammock comfortable enough. Its good enough to get out and hang and start deciding what will work best for you. After awhile you will know which better piece of gear you need.

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    The one thing you may want to try with this one to take care of the tangling is a set of snakeskins for the hammock, then roll the tube into your BOB.
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter
    Insulation
    down bag, pad
    Suspension
    strap,biner,D-ring
    The hammock my wife prefers to use is from Hammock Bliss and has the spaghetti cords at each end. Knowing her all too well I knew these tangling cords would be a frustration factor. What I did was to take 3 short lengths of nylon cord of the appropriate length and melted the ends together to make little loops around the spaghetti cords. (3 loops at each end of the hammock) When the hammock is hung, these loops are slid to the suspension end to allow the spaghetti cords to spread. When I'm ready to pack the hammock into it's stuff sack I slide the loops, spaced evenly, to hold all the cords tightly together. Seems to be working OK.

As far as being good for camping, all you can do is try it out and see if it works for you. When keeping things low budget you won't get all the best bells and whistles but if it hangs and sleeps well and isn't exceedingly heavy then sounds like it fits what you were trying to accomplish.

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    If you don't like it, send it back and get a GT UL for the same ish price.

Hammock
    Planet Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 9x12
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Tree Slings
    I just recently purchased a Planethammock hammock in the colors I was looking for, fairly soon after making the purchase on this multi-rope camo hammock above, which I am also waiting for in post.

The camo hammock, I will either use as a spare for guests, or let my brother use it.

Thanks everyone for the answers.
    "What's that big funny looking banana thing hanging over there by those two trees?" said little Billy Bear to his mama. "I think it is called a pinata and it is filled with goodies." she replied. "You must bap it around first and then tear it open to find out what wonderful tasty things it holds for us tonight, little Billy. Let us go play with it now." she continued.

Hammock
    Planet Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 9x12
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Tree Slings
    The sliding loops suggestion is a very good idea for organizing the cords, but I have also read that some people tie each end of the cords in a loose single loop hitch before stuffing it back into the sack.

I will try to let anyone know these 2 things, if I let someone borrow the cheaper hammock.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    crappy random one
    Insulation
    blue foam
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I'd give it a go in the backyard and see how it is. oughta be fine for awhile. the web treestrap that is pictured there is the exact one that i have and it does its job fine. i sometimes use it a little differently now...when there is a lot of space between the trees i've been using the working end of the strap for a marlin spike hitch. all the spaghetti straps there are attached to a ring...so i would guess that a whoopie sling could be girth hitched on there like it is through the channel of my ENO...or would the girth hitch on a ring weaken the amsteel...? if thats good though, then the bright side is whatever suspension pieces you buy you will be able to reuse if/when you decide to get a different hammock.

Like what was said before, that grand trunk ultralight is a cheap hammock. i just bought one five minutes ago since my kids want to get out of their tents. I got it off amazon for $19.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I got a cheap one to start with too. It was $30 at Sports Authority. It had "S" rings in the ends with a bugnet and ridgeline. We had it up the second time in YellowStone last summer and my 9 YOA daughter zipped it up and flipped it. She ripped out all of the mosquito netting on one side.

Now it makes a great trash around hammock for her. I know better than to let her in any of my other ones!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast