Darien UL 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Weight - Hennessy vs Warbonnet

I have a HH Explorer Ultralite and have used it for several years. In fact, I slept in it nearly every night during a 6 month A thru-hike in 2009. I use it with the HH Super Shelter undercover and underpad. I did replace the stock tarp with a Maccat Deluxe for better weather protection after getting wet during a couple of wild lightning storms down south.

I love the hammock, but it has always seemed a bit heavy to me. As I get a bit older and my knees get a bit wonkier, that weight bothers me a bit more. So tonight I was comparing the specs of the Explorer Ultralite on the Hennessy website to the specs of the Warbonnet Blackbird Double 1.1, and was shocked to see that the Hennessy weighs in at 2lb 2 oz, or 34oz for the hammock, plus some portion of the 20ox Supershelter weight for the undercover, while the Warbonnet Double 1.1 weighs in at only 24 oz.

Assuming I use the same tarp, insulation, and similar suspension, can I really drop something close to 1 lb by swapping my HH for the WB? I really do think I am missing something obvious, but I don't see what.
    Last edited by affreeman; 06-10-2011 at 06:33.
    ~
    "Home is where I hang my food bag."

Monkeywrench
    Allen Freeman
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com
    blog.allenf.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    For comparison, here is my WBBB weight with all the tie-outs and whoopie suspension, plus skins: 2.0 lbs even.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
    I have a HH Explorer Ultralite and have used it for several years. In fact, I slept in it nearly every night during a 6 month A thru-hike in 2009. I use it with the HH Super Shelter undercover and underpad. I did replace the stock tarp with a Maccat Deluxe for better weather protection after getting wet during a couple of wild lightning storms down south.

I love the hammock, but it has always seemed a bit heavy to me. As I get a bit older and my knees get a bit wonkier, that weight bothers me a bit more. So tonight I was comparing the specs of the Explorer Deluxe on the Hennessy website to the specs of the Warbonnet Blackbird Double 1.1, and was shocked to see that the Hennessy weighs in at 2lb 2 oz, or 34oz for the hammock, plus some portion of the 20ox Supershelter weight for the undercover, while the Warbonnet Double 1.1 weighs in at only 24 oz.

Assuming I use the same tarp, insulation, and similar suspension, can I really drop something close to 1 lb by swapping my HH for the WB? I really do think I am missing something obvious, but I don't see what.
    I believe the HH weight includes the tarp, whereas there is no tarp in the WBB. Figure 10 or 12 oz for the HH tarp and the differences are not so great.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    Darien UL 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I believe the HH weight includes the tarp, whereas there is no tarp in the WBB. Figure 10 or 12 oz for the HH tarp and the differences are not so great.
    The spec page (http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/s...er_ultralight/) is confusing. They list:

Packed Weight: 2 lbs 2 oz / 960 g
    Rainfly weight: 11.7 oz / 300g
    Stuff Sack: Logo and set up instructions printed on ripstop polyester bag (18 g / 0.6oz)

So does the Packed weight include the rainfly and etc? If so, then it seems the two hammocks are within a couple ounces of each other, except that the WB is a double layer so no need for the undercover which is additional weight on the HH.
    ~
    "Home is where I hang my food bag."

Monkeywrench
    Allen Freeman
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com
    blog.allenf.com

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    But the SS system is pretty light, and will end up similar to a good Underquilt.
    for weight. Although some under quilts can compress to a smaller size.
    I always strap my SS pad on the bottom of my bag.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mountain Bridge UL
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRBShenado& MtWash
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

HH Ultralight Explorer

I recently swapped out the stock tarp for an OES MacCat Deluxe. My HH Ultralight Explorer with whoopie slings, tree huggers, toggle, and the stuff sack and without a tarp weighs 28 ounces.
    Last edited by yardman228; 06-10-2011 at 07:35.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    the weight is with the tarp included. or atleast it was a few monthes ago when I emailed them. like grizz says. theres not alot of difference when you compare the weights after taking off the weight of the included tarp.
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

• + New Posts