Tarp
    HH Typhoon 70D
    Insulation
    EE Prospect
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Travel to American Fork, Utah

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place to put this thread. Please move/delete if not in the right place.

I am traveling to American Fork, Utah on 19 Jun 2011 for a short trip for training. I am only there until 22 Jun 2011. I will only have evenings free to do some exploring. Anyone have any good recommendations of some good places to visit? I am more interested in the area versus restaurants, stores, etc.
    I really do not want to just sit in the hotel room so hopefully you all can give me some good places so I do not have to figure it out myself. I tend to end up finding the places that I shouldn't be.

Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY Colorado flag retired
    Insulation
    DIY UQ (old bag)
    Suspension
    Rope
    Images
    American Fork Canyon is a great rock climbing place. There's camping in the nat forest there too. Take some climbing gear and hang from the rock!

Sort of a store, but... Cabelas is just north of you on I15 b4 SLC.

Mt Timpanogas (sic) is South. A neat cave to go thru, although you gotta hike to get to it. But it's worth it.

A drive out I80 to the salt flats is always interesting if you have the time.

The above is based on memory, which I take license with..

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    I don't know what your transportation situation is, but if you can swing it, the Canyon and Timpanogas are both wonderful trips. Sundance isn't terribly far, and you might catch a glimpse of the elusive Robert Redford .

You also have Brigham Young University not far away to the south in Provo, and University of Utah (a bit more of a drive) to the north in SLC. Plenty of things to do and see at large Universities--check them out on the web, and see what activities, concerts, plays, shows, and etc are scheduled for when you'll be there.

Rock Canyon in Provo is a fun hike. And then you can always hike the "Y", just east of BYU. It's a great time of year to be in the area. Not too hot just yet, and the majority of the school kids have gone home for the summer.

Sorry I couldn't give you anything closer to your "base camp," but I hope it helps.
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    It is finally getting warm here and the trails will be a little muddy but there is plenty of stuff to see. American Fork canyon and Timp are close and easy, but pay to play so be prepared. If you go up Provo canyon all of the parks are open and the falls up the east side are pretty cool.
    Shoot me a PM and I can get you in to some decent scenery. Just need more info from you.
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

Hammock
    DIY 11.5'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben /w doors
    Insulation
    BurrowTQ/KoalaUQ
    Suspension
    Webbing, whoopies
    Images
    +1 to what has been said already. AF Canyon is nice. You only have to pay if you get out of the car though technically. Provo Canyon is just as nice and you don't have to pay. The falls are a must see there.

Like MuseJr said, let us know what your hours are and maybe we can meet up. If you're looking to save some hotel money, bring your hammock and we could we could "hang" one night up AF canyon.
    Life's a game. Play HARD!

• + New Posts