DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    im diggin the stake with a bit tip idea, and i'm thinking that some of those cheapy aluminium y stakes at walmart can be modified to notch together to get the boom effect. this is an idea i can see myself utilizing for years to come.
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    dutch, these need to be up on your site. we would all probably buy dutch stakebooms. you could sell the shepard's hooks and the dutch stakeboom in aluminium and titanium. i'm ready to order two ti booms and two ti shepards hook stakes already.
    J. Garcia
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    They sell flat aluminum-stock bars in several widths/thicknesses at Home Depot [up in the contractor's or hardware aisles].
    It would seem as if on an 9" piece you could bend 1 1/2" back over itself at 45°, drill a 45°reciprocally-angled hole thru both sections and just slip your stake or a gutter spike thru and into the ground.
    With 9" chunks [assuming that the stock comes in 36 inch lengths] that would give you four 7"+ finished length "booms".

I love the vendors, but DIY is always going to be cheaper...

Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    i am on my way to the walmarket to acquire a few of the aluminium v stakes in order to drill a hole at the top for insertion of a regular '7' shaped wire stake in hopes that the wire stake has somewhere near the correct angel to seat in the 'bed' of the v and create a much larger '7' shaped stake. one could even grind an adequate 'guy line retention notch' in the wire stake with a brick if so limited. im thinking thats going to be the easiest DIY version of this, provided the wire stake's angel is sufficient.
    J. Garcia

Hammock
    Hammeck Breezy
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    I am interested in what you find, Theguywiththeeyebrows.

Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wenestvedt View Post
    I am interested in what you find, Theguywiththeeyebrows.
    i found that the y shaped stakes do not get holes drilled into them very well, and they wouldn't keep the angle with just one hole anyway. aluminium tubing at lowes for ten bucks, bout 36", four 9" booms, drilled a hole in at an angle on one end. sanded down all the burrs, looks great. haven't actually used them, however.
    J. Garcia

Hammock
    learning
    I have a thought on something similar--- If one used a length of web/rope with eyelets, you could attach several stakes through the web. 4 or more smaller stakes might give the same effect.

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by theshadownose View Post
    I have a thought on something similar--- If one used a length of web/rope with eyelets, you could attach several stakes through the web. 4 or more smaller stakes might give the same effect.

very old anchoring system. Works pretty dang good. Called Picket Anchors.

Stake booms though, works just as well. but the picket anchor system would also work if you are willing to carry a lot more stakes... There's a variation on this that looks like crows feet; basically for one line, you have 3 radiating stake lines from a central stake. That also works pretty good to support a lot of weight.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by CamoDeafie82 View Post

very old anchoring system. Works pretty dang good. Called Picket Anchors.

Stake booms though, works just as well. but the picket anchor system would also work if you are willing to carry a lot more stakes... There's a variation on this that looks like crows feet; basically for one line, you have 3 radiating stake lines from a central stake. That also works pretty good to support a lot of weight.
    This is a very effective system and contributed greatly to coming up with the Stake Booms. I discussed it in detail in the second post.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    The thread that apparently wont die? I mine as well contribute...was googling about this and that as I experiment with my stand I bought from Cheryl at tiggscraftworkz.com - the NoGround CarCamp model.

I go kayak camping and would love to hang from my stand out on my own, even in "sandy" areas of rivers.

Talking with Cheryl, I have been experimenting with various anchors...its been super fun...I am NOT a ME, but I have enjoyed piddling around trying this and that.

Started out in the backyard using just some 12 inch steel spikes that Cheryl included with the purchase, those worked in the firm soil without failing...but at times were a pain to get out of the ground and they are heavy...not that this is a problem for my kayak camping....also, one kinda bent a bit...did not fail...I think the soil in that spot was loose enough that the force being applied as discussed, took a toll...pretty amazing force here...I am only 155 lbs, and I bounce around when trying these...I think I will reframe from doing that anymore, merely laying and swaying in it may be enough!

I think Cheryl includes the Alamosa anchors with her trekking stand model...

We are trying out also the "orange screw" anchor...12 inchers...I tested them out in the back yard last night and took some video of the anchors under load...you indeed see the movement of the anchor, but these things appear to be super tough, and it took the bend without appears to begin to risk pulling the rest of the anchor out..probably only 2-3 inches of the 12 inches pivoted much...

Found this thread and got me to thinking about adding something to these anchors in even softer soil to prevent that pivoting or even mitigate.

The good thing about this product is that it bends, and goes right back to center...so some tolerance for bending seems good I suppose.

I am imagining a piece of like flat aluminum with a hole that fits perfectly for the orange screw at the top of it, the base of the anchor point...rough idea mind you, but a possibility...these orange screws are pretty light...

I go off camping tomorrow on a river here in Alabama, and I have these organge screws, the sand/snow stakes, the metal spike 12 inchers....AND I have some huge anchors I made from t aluminum cut down to 24 inches a piece time 4 - each with a sharp pointy end and a couple holes along the length of the stake...so its like a "poor mans tough stake" of sorts...40 dollars for the aluminum after shipping.

I have not tested these big stakes yet, my idea is to hang right in the sand on the beach when I go RV'ing...I am thinking that the "sandy beach" along the cahaba river, will be a much tighter packed sand and probably not too far below it it firms up quit a bit....I will have trees as well a good walk from where other tent campers will huddle around...so I am not worried, but why not try to fiddle around? lol...

I plan on Monday to swing out to a local state park that has a beach area, and I think that sand is much more typical beach fluffy sand.
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast