Hammock
    Clark NX-250, ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Tarp
    Insulation
    Clark Pockets
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Ty for your post! You guys have no idea how much these are helping me. The small details as to why you like different things and for what reasons is really helping me decide what my similar likes would be. It was hard to start off knowing exactly what I want because I don't know enough about all the different setups to really know what is right for me yet. But little by little your answers keep sparking new ideas that are very useful to me.

Thank you for simply answering my questions without trying to figure out if my questions are the right ones or not. My dad once told me this,"People ask questions to simply obtain information that is useful to them". As a man I constantly find it hard to just simply answer someone's question without trying to figure of why they asked it. This is sometimes a bad thing and sometimes a good thing. One thing I know for sure is... I have never once regretted asking any question. ;-)
    It's hard to have a bad day in a good hammock. - Jeremy Flatt

Images
    I thought I might stay out of this one. Mainly because these questions are just really hard to answer. But reading all of these other posts here just kind of makes me want to throw in my two cents.

I have a fair number of hammocks, as well as various insulation systems and tarps and undercovers. But it seems like every time I finally decide on a hands-down favorite, a little while later I find myself leaning towards one of my other favorites. And the reason for that is – I'm pretty sure – because each of them has various pros and cons. I haven't found any hammock that is hands-down better in all areas that every other hammock. I have some that are hands-down better than every other hammock in one or two ways, maybe. But not in all ways. I base these opinions backpacking, day hiking, and almost daily backyard hangings of various hammocks. But it's really hard to pick one favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliteoomph View Post
    What is the best Hammock setup and why?

I'm sure this question has been asked time and time again but I want to really get into the details here.

Best all around hammock
    Best in what way? It seems like as time goes by I get closer and closer to settling on my HH Safari (no net version), as comfort is most important to me. I think it might be the most comfortable hammock overall for me. I almost never have any left calf pressure (a frequent major problem for me) and usually don't need anything under my knees to avoid either the calf pressure or knee hyperextension. I can sleep very comfortably either on my back, on the midline, on either side with legs straight or in full fetal, and just nearly on my stomach. And it has the simplicity of a gathered end hammock. No tarp issues and no spreader bars to keep up with. It works great with several different insulation systems (JRB MW 4, WB synthetic Yeti, for example)Unfortunately, it's also pretty heavy. Not really that much heavier(if at all) than my Warbonnet 1.7 double or JRB bridge, but it is single layer and has no net. At least at ~ the same weight those other hammocks I have those benefits.

Then again, as comfortable as that hammock is overall, the JRB bridge hammock (as well as a GrizzBridge) are even more guaranteed to have total comfort – 100% of the time – in the leg region. It is free of any waist/side discomfort issues while side sleeping, again 100% of the time. The JRB bridge is also for me a superior lounger for reading books – I can get sort of propped up towards the head end like in my recliner at home. There are also some unique sitting/lounging positions. And other than the PeaPod used on my Claytor No Net, there is no hammock/insulation combo that is as slick and idiot proof (IMO) as the JRB MW4/JRB bridge combo. And if that's not enough, again IMO, there is no hammock that works as well with a pad as does the JRB bridge. The negatives? While I find the shoulder shoulder comfort good enough and have no trouble sleeping, I prefer the more wide open shoulder feel of the Safari or several other gathered end hammocks. I cannot draw my knees up anywhere near full fetal position. The spreader bars are weight that has to be carried, items that have to be kept up with, and cause some tarp issues that have to be dealt with. None of which are at all deal breakers for me, but they are pros and cons. So, which is "best" for me? I don't know! It kind of depends on what day it is.

Best lightweight hammock for long distance backpacking
    none of my hammocks are really in the very lightest group. I have a Speer 8.5 that is only about 17 ounces if I leave the net off. It can be quite comfortable either for extreme fetal sleeping or just flat on my back (little to no calf problems, though knee hyperextension can be a problem – need something under the knees). Anything else I have is even heavier than this.

Best hammock while on a tight budget
    Probably the Claytor. The jungle hammock is not the lightest hammock out there, but you get a lot for your money. And many think they are quite comfortable. My Claytor no net weighs about 22 oz (a dbl layer) and I consider it in the top category of comfortable hammocks. But I have not tried WB Travelers and several other possibilities!

Best hammock for the elements (rain,wind,bugs)
    Complete set up from the manufacturer? HH super shelter. (Keep in mind some people don't like this system at all, for some of us it works quite well) This is the only system I know of (except maybe the Clark? Not sure) that comes with an undercover which – even when using a fairly small diamond tarp – will provide excellent wind/rain/snow/fog protection on the underside. In my personal experience, even when using a considerably larger tarp, it is difficult to equal the protection that undercover can provide. Considering that wind can shift during the night.

Best hammock manufactor
    Warbonnet, JRB, Hennessy, Claytor, several others I'm sure, some I haven't had the opportunity to try out yet. With the exception of Claytor customer service (of which I have no knowledge), you can expect both excellent customer service and quality from all of the above.
    Most comfortable hammock
    see above – first answer under "best".
    Best suspension
    Oh boy! Warbonnet webbing. Or maybe the stock Claytor after you do something about the tendency to wick water into the hammock. Or Whoopie slings.
    Best way to insulate your hammock
    one of several excellent under quilts, down or synthetic. And if you have a Hennessy hammock, I count the super shelter as an alternative under quilt. I really like a JRB MW4, also a WB synthetic "Yeti" (cannot buy this one), and do not forget a Speer Peapod especially when wrapped around a Claytor no net!
    Best way to keep your gear close by (cargo net hammock)
    Warbonnet blackbird shelf, Ridge line organizers ( 2Qs or HH), stuff sacks hung from the Ridge lines, and on the ground by the hammock.
    Best Tarp
    my favorite tarp has turned out to be the JRB rectangular 10x11. Mainly because it has so many pitch options, the rectangular cut gives great coverage, and it is a quality item. But I had a MacCat dlx that was extremely sweet also. The Claytor diamond is a great one. And even the Hennessy diamond gets the job done especially if used with the super shelter, and saves a lot of weight. And the diamond tarps only need two stakes.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Tarp
    Insulation
    Clark Pockets
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Wow! Thanks for all the great effort in your response!
    I was actually considering the claytor before I decided a DIY... I think in the end I will be happy... Hopefully but, that is a great package for the price...

I wish I would have reworded the post to your favorite instead of best... To me I was meaning your favorite but I think it came across a little differently...

Thanks for your input... U sure gave me a few more ideas...

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    I feel that by going DIY you not only learn a lot about how hammocks are constructed, but you also learn what you want in one. Five minutes into my first hang I came up with a list of addons I wanted to "improve" my DIY.

*Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Tarp
    Insulation
    Clark Pockets
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I can Def see that happening...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fibre
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

Best Set-up

For me, the best rig I have is generally whatever I'm currently using... put together as the learning curve progresses & budget allows.

I'm fairly new to hanging and honestly I'm not bothered about what gear I'm hanging in coz I'm just having too good a time hanging!

The mere fact I'm hanging is good enough for me. I'm comfy whatever I hang in, each in different ways and all brilliantly relaxing. Couldn't be happier! I pick different hammocks for different trips, different reasons & I learn as I go.

The search for the comfiest hammock is ongoing & probably always will be for most of us. The ingenuity amongst hangers is awesome, the quality of stuff is fantastic, the opportunities for exploring new places are opening right up. It's all good.

Bells & whistles are fun, but even if all you have available to you at the time is a simple home made rig - you're able to build the comfiest bed in the world in minutes with some sheet & cord.

So far, I haven't seen anyone get into a hammock and want to get back out too quickly. It cracks me up coz that's how I got hooked too. Everyone seems to want to have a wee nap within minutes of getting into it - instant comfort. For me the comfort is a given, it's the staying warm & toasty bit I'm working on. If it's stupid & it works, it's not stupid. If it's new & shiny or DIY I don't care - if it makes me warmer or comfier I use it until I come across something that works better.

I use a downy all-in-one mountain suit as a sleeping bag and it's brilliant. I live in Scotland so it's cold at night. I use a Thermarest & a lightweight bag is my quilt or pillow, whichever I need most at the time. If I get up at night I stay warm whatever I'm doing, I take the heat with me instead of leaving it behind in my hammock to disappear.

Everything about using a hammock is brilliantly simple, quick, comfy, light and refreshing to the body, mind and soul.

Hanging is good medicine for bad Juju...

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Tarp
    Insulation
    Clark Pockets
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    very well said chillin! I can't wait to finish my first build!

Hammock
    WB XLC, ENO DN, GT Double, Henn Exp
    Tarp
    Henn Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    [QUOTE=bigbamaguy;484922]

Then comes the "can't be satisfied with what I got" in me and I picked up and ENO DN. This was going to be my "summer" hammock and I got to modding it........suspension changed to straps and triangle plates from AHE, structural ridgeline and Gaurdian Bugnet added. I liked this setup and was content with it, until I met Mandydawn........one thing leads to another and now I have a converted hanging girlfriend to go with the hammock, just needed another tarp for her.

So with that there is another ENO DN ordered and it is setup with same suspension mods, SRL and a DIY bugnet........I find this is a nice hammock to have while lounging in the yard or while watching my neices play softball at the weekend tournaments but I was not as comfortable all night as I was in in the CJH.

[QUOTE]

Hey Bigbamaguy,

When you were using the ENO with ridgeline and the Gaurdian, did you use the structural ridgeline to support the Gaurdian or did you use the attached loops and clips to hang it seperatley ? I have a similiar setup and was wondering if you could use the structural ridgeline, humm ???

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Use the kit you can make or afford, as long as it gets you into the woods.

The best of the best

Rolloff
    Signature suspended

Like most, my BEST changes from time to time. I went from an 8lb tent to a Hennessy ASYM and it was my best. Then I made a DIY or two and they were the best. I use wedding TULE for a bug net it it was the best.

That has all changed over time. Wht is best for you will be the best for you. we can make suggestions, but the decision is yours. I have an ENO DN with the ENO bugnet that I modified..... I cut out the zipper and added shock chord. I swapped out the susspensions and added whoopie slings. I have a DIY UQ and a DIY rainfly. for me this is my best.

For my birthday, I will be getting a Clark Jungle hammock and it will then be the best for me.

good luck with zeroing in on your best and keep hanging

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast