WBBB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Yeti/Burrow
    Suspension
    Amsteel UCRs

Noobie questions

I just purchased my first hammock and tarp set-up and I'm really looking forward to it getting here so I can set it up and get to know it before my first trip out. I have a few questions before heading out.

How does the morning dew affect you in the hammock? Do you wake up feeling damp? I know from camping on the ground for years that my gear is often quite wet in the morning. Do you find this a problem? Are there ways around this?

I know everyone is different, but from your experience at what temperature do you feel the need for an UQ? Do you use one every time you set-up your hammock or only if the temp is below a certain point?
    Last edited by crisis; 06-10-2011 at 17:58.

Hammock
    ENO SN
    Tarp
    DIY cat hex
    Suspension
    MSH/whoopies
    I know everyone is different, but from your experience at what temperature do you feel the need for an UQ? Do you use one every time you set-up your hammock or only if the temp is below a certain point?
    The number I keep seeing repeated is 70 degrees F. Most folks tend to believe that below that is when you'll need an underquilt.

Personally, I've only slept in a hammock in temps down to the mid-50s, and I was perfectly comfortable with a simple inflatable pad under me (Thermarest ProLite) and a 50-degree sleeping bag.

Images
    Morning dew "settles" so to speak. If you are under a tarp, dew will not be an issue. You may have condensation in cold weather, which would be a product of your breath. Lots of threads on that listed on this forum. No need for me to repeat all of that.

I use an UQ in temps below 50F, and a pad from 50F to 70F at night. I am a warm sleeper too. Some may use their UQ in warmer temps than I do. All depends on how warms a sleeper you are.

Not a bad idea to bring a pad and UQ if in question. A good nights sleep is important, and why I use a hammock instead of the hard ground or shelter. Comfort is a good thing. Better to err on the side of safe than sorry. My IX UQ (Baby Orca from tree to tree gear) only weighs 8.5oz. Not a bad weight penalty even if I don't need it.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Tarp
    Insulation
    Clark Pockets
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by crisis View Post
    I know everyone is different, but from your experience at what temperature do you feel the need for an UQ?
    I am a noob also and can only base this off of one cold weather hang.

This took place in New Zealand last week at about 3,000 ft with temps below freezing. I had been loaned a Clark nx-200 jungle hammock. This hammock has several large velcro pouches that are sewed into the bottom of the hammock.
    I put a few different items in the pouches to extended the depth of my hammock downward to create a air pocket. I guess you could also stuff this area with insulation for added warmth. All I had was that and a Northface subzero sleeping bag and I was very toasty all night. Not to forget this hammock also has a bug net and shell that zips completely closed all the way over you so this helps out a ton in keeping the warmth from escaping as well.

So I guess it all depends on the hammock!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    I'm a pretty warm sleeper, but I took a quick nap in mine set-up in my basement and actually woke up kind of chilled. Temp was probably around 67.

Haven't had much problem with dew because of the general air flow you get.
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I myself am a "noobie", with only 4 nights in my hammock, but I am an extremely warm sleeper. I took mine down to the upper 40's with only a 40 degree down sleeping bag. My first two hangs were with a thickish Alps Mountaineering CCF pad, and I woke up hot...not just condensation, but hot. I figured I'd give it a shot going padless the third night, and I slept great with no chills whatsoever. I'm quickly finding out that I'm an exception to the "rules" though.

A few weeks ago, I again went padless at about 60 degrees, and I slept fine. Like you said, everyone is different, but the general consensus seems to be around 65 - 70 degrees.

The main advice I can give you is to get out a few times and see how you sleep in varying conditions.

FWIW, I haven't had any dew or condensation problems, and 3 of those nights were in the Smokies...a temperate rain forest.
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    https://backcountrymentor.com
    Check me out on YouTube!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhqpe2xIWBXRVtpB5dxAJA

• + New Posts