Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    3 days “In-school”
    Images

couple of UQ questions for the BB

What full size quilt do you feel fits the cut of the Blackbird the best? Also can a a winter quilt be a year round quilt, or do you need a three season and a winter?

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    I know arrowheadequipment makes I believe the new river which is good with the blackbird. but In my opinion most 3 season quilts that go to 15 or 20 would do you find where your at with good layers and a good topquilt.
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    WBBB, DIY, ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    3 days “In-school”
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NewtonGT View Post
    I know arrowheadequipment makes I believe the new river which is good with the blackbird. but In my opinion most 3 season quilts that go to 15 or 20 would do you find where your at with good layers and a good topquilt.
    Yeah, I also thought that could be the case. It's very rare that it stays below freezing here more than a day or two. Its much more likely that it would be 30 degrees tonight and 75 tomorrow.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    haha yea I rarely see it go past 30 around where im at in SC
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Images
    I have used a JRB MW4 on a WBBB with excellent results. I did have to fiddle with the foot end suspension a bit to get it to stay put over the foot area, but no big deal. Also, I added one loop of shock cord over the RL to pull the quilt up more on the left leg area so there was less gap when I was on the diagonal. I don't know if this was needed, but it was easy to do and didn't appear to hurt anything. I was very snug and warm in a very windy 18F. With some wind definitely getting past my tarp. That is the only really cold night I used it on a WBBB. Most other nights with that quilt were on a JRB Bridge hammock. But I thought it worked great. I'm sure an MW3- or MW3 convertible - would be more than enough for most winter nights in the south. Unless you are at 6000 feet maybe.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is a video I shot showing putting UQs on the BB. Hope it helps some.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthpawKurt View Post
    What full size quilt do you feel fits the cut of the Blackbird the best? Also can a a winter quilt be a year round quilt, or do you need a three season and a winter?
    I use a 3season year round and supplement with a pad in really cold temps if necessary.

above 80 stay home
    above 60 torso sized pad as needed
    below 60 3season UQ
    below 15 3season UQ add pad as needed
    below 0 reevaluate or stay home

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    I've been using the Speers Snugfit with my BB with really good and toasty results, naff pictures but you get the idea ...

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    What no yeti talks?!!!

Yeti baby. 3 season goes down to at least 30*F I got mine down to 27

Depends on what kind of sleeper you are but I camp near zero in the winter and prefer a winter UQ
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthpawKurt View Post
    I started with the AHE New River Deep Winter Upgrade UQ and then got a HG Incubator.

NR DWU; Fits the WBBB & Traveler like it was made for it...prolly because it was. The DWU was overkill (no moto camping when the roads are frozen) but my wife will use it mostly (cage camp) and a warm camping wife is a happy camping wife. If travel space (moto camp) was not an issue the NR is the UQ I would always use with the WBBB and Traveler just because of the fit and low fuss factor. I would not hesitate to take this DWU UQ to below zreo.

3 Season Incubator; Fits the WBBB and Traveler very well and compresses very small. While the NR fits my hammocks best the Incubator is no slouch and I kinda like the ability to adjust from head to toe by sliding it on the side mounted shock cord tubes. If I order another it will be custom wide though because I am custom wide too...though the stock works well enough. Earlier this week it took me to around 30 degrees (in very light clothing) and with a good wind block would take me to 20 degrees easily. Add some heavier fleece pants and top with wool sox and cap and I'll wager the Incubator would be good to near zero YMMV.

If compressed space and weight is not an issue the NR wins the fit contest...add some side mounted shock cord (like the Incubator) and it would be perfect. If the opposite is the case the Incubator wins...make it a smidge wider and it would also be perfect. To complicate it more...if I could only have one UQ (God forbid) it would be the Incubator just for space issues. Love both UQs! Maybe a DWU NR (pulling on a sled like the SHUG) and a 3 season Incubator would be the perfect set up.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast