Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ridgelines, cinch buckles & more questions

Ok, I have my hammock strung, now I need to work out a bugnet, & that means a ridgeline. If I decided to use a structural ridgeline, would I tie these off to the cinch buckles? With a structural ridgeline, would that not be putting a huge amount of force into the buckles & the line that makes the ridge? I am afriad that if I went hat route, there would be a point of failure in thte buckles or in the climbing rope I use... it is rated for 1800 lbs, but knots weaken that, correct? At 250ish lbs, I am afraid I would "break" my hammock.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by traviso71 View Post
    Ok, I have my hammock strung, now I need to work out a bugnet, & that means a ridgeline. If I decided to use a structural ridgeline, would I tie these off to the cinch buckles?
    Not normally. Think instead of tying to the suspension rope just past the whipping. Also, the forces involved on the structural ridgeline and its attachment points are only enough to make sure you use good cord for the ridgeline (no stretch, good for a 200+ lbs maybe). It could kink your main suspension line a little, but not enough to be concerned about failure on an 1800 lb rated line.

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I hafta say I have been happier since I removed my ridgelines. You can still have a bugnet and not need a structural ridgeline tho. Several have been built ala Risk that have a grossgrain ribbon along the peak and others use the shockcord ridgeline to suspend the bugnet from the outside. Many ways to have a bugnet without a structural ridgeline.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogn8r View Post
    I hafta say I have been happier since I removed my ridgelines. You can still have a bugnet and not need a structural ridgeline tho. Several have been built ala Risk that have a grossgrain ribbon along the peak and others use the shockcord ridgeline to suspend the bugnet from the outside. Many ways to have a bugnet without a structural ridgeline.
    Hey Hogn8r,
    Curious as to why you are happy without a ridgeline?????
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Yeah, I can get by without one for sure.... I was thinking as simple as a couple of clips & a line from tree to tree for a bug net, & to hang stuff from. I am not sure how that would work with a tarp though... I havent really looked into the design of tarps.

Hammock
    DIY parallelogram/speer
    Tarp
    guidegear camo 12'
    Insulation
    garlington style
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I was wondering about ridgelines...
    I've read that people have broken 550 line and I was wondering about how tightly you tie your hammocks? I use 400# accessory line on the hammocks I've made and I've never had any trouble and it weighs less than my 1200#sheathed spectra per ft...

Just playing around I can bend my ridgeline a little while I'm in my hammock which leads me to believe that the force on it isn't too great(even in my freak accident micro hammock which needs to be hung super tight - I'll add it to my pics this weekend). Either that or I somehow become super powerful while laying in my hammock

Somewhere, somehow, something isn't adding up for me no matter how many crazy little vector line drawings I do with my nearly 190# self... If you guys have posted a line drawing somewhere showing a reduced load on a ridgeline I hadn't found it and would appreciate your opinion.

Otherwise I will be forced to believe that rather than becoming super strong while in my hammock I become filled with hotair thereby reducing my weight... which may be true
    "nickels and dimes, yours and mine, did you cash in on your dreams? You don't dream for me no" Third Eye Blind

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nickelanddime View Post
    If you guys have posted a line drawing somewhere showing a reduced load on a ridgeline I hadn't found it and would appreciate your opinion.
    Grizz has what you're looking for. He posted it in a thread that I can't locate just now, but the series of diagrams is here - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Just Jeff has posted several times about his real world experience of snapping 550 cord in use as a ridgeline. In learning from his mishaps, I would opt for something different (and less stretching). YMMV
    Last edited by angrysparrow; 03-11-2008 at 18:57. Reason: link correction
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

finding stuff is hard

The pictures in the gallery have no date on them I can see, nor are there any pointers from the photos to any posts that link to them. So I scrolled forward and back in the general vicinity of the photo sequence where these diagrams appeared, to try to be reminded of what month this might have been before going searching. I found an mp3 I'd plunked in there making some wise-crack about "respect for your elders", which was enough for google to find that post. By dumb luck, the post we're looking for was close, in that same thread.

The context for my post was to explain a formula that TeeDee plunked down giving the force on the ridgeline (that post is gone now). I surely couldn't tell where it came from and had to work it out from first principles. I had more time on my hands last summer than of late....

The formula is pretty simple. The force is a function of your weight w,
    and a couple of angles. alpha is the angle of ascent of your suspension line after the ridgeline. beta is the angle of ascent of your hammock up to the ridgeline. The (one-sided) force is
    P = (w/2)( cot(alpha) - cot(beta))
    cot(x) being cos(x)/sin(x).

So, for example, if alpha is 20 degrees (which is actually pretty flat)
    and beta were 40 degrees, a 200 lb person would be exerting
    a little over 300 lbs total. More typically we see alpha at 30 degrees,
    maybe beta at 45, which gives about 150 lbs.

Stringing up really tight makes alpha smaller, which you can see
    from the comparison of the two examples above makes a big difference in the force.

dang that was fun. It's been a while....

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    grizz... check this out if you will... go to any photo & click on it to enlarge. then see if you see a date just below the 3 small thumbnail photos below the large photo. thanks.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    grizz... check this out if you will... go to any photo & click on it to enlarge. then see if you see a date just below the 3 small thumbnail photos below the large photo. thanks.
    ah ha! right you are. Dates right there for anyone to see. That is, those who can see. "He who has eyes, let him see." Or something...

thanks slowhike.

Grizz

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast