Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SUL sub 6lb kit

Images
    A cuben kilt? isn't cuben always kind of transparent? The horror

I am seriously impressed. I keep looking at the weight of the hammock/sleeping insulation and thinking how crazy it is that its about a pound lighter together than either my HH or a Cat's Meow on their own.

Need some pictures of the backpack. I'm curious how much room you have to spare inside.
    At that weight it would probably all fit inside a waist pack, though I don't know such a thing would be lighter than what you're using. might be more comfortable.

Pictures!!!!!

Man.... my phone is heavier than most of the items in that kit.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    cuben fiber
    Insulation
    down goodies
    Suspension
    The Force
    Images
    thanks all. the reason I posted this is to get a critique. I want to get lighter and the way to do it is to get ideas and in return to those who read this is to give ideas to those who didn't think it could be done with a hammock. Ill post pics or a video soon. Don't be expecting a shug quality vid. keep it coming! p.s no even noticed the cuben phoenix!

Hammock
    DIY + whoopie SLR
    Tarp
    Golite poncho tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ / Down bag
    Suspension
    Amsteel whoopies
    Images
    Very cool. A few questions tho: i see no fak or basic 'survival' equipment (compass, etc); no knife as well?; and no bugnet? No problems with that? This year I slept right up into may with no net but sleeping on long underwear with a buff over my face to deter the mosquitos, but it's too hot for that now.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Highbinder,

He does reference first aid / hygiene

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Quote Originally Posted by tonejones View Post
    p.s no even noticed the cuben phoenix!
    Yeah I did but thought I wouldn't tease myself by asking for details

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Good job buddy! Btw, I've always heard it as GLP and te-wa said it. I'm no one to citique as I am around 8lbs current for 3 season but a few things I may be able to suggest would be:

Sp 700 could go to a 600, even more so a evernew titanium 500ml (16.9oz) with lid and handles is 2.4oz. The 3 seaon burrow could be a summer burrow, potentially with over fill to extend your "summer" season load down to 30degrees. Cuben if Adam starts making it with TQs. That right there is $200+ for maybe 5-6oz. At this point I'd slow down. Don't spend all your money on making a pack lighter that's already super light. 5lbs probably feels the same as 6lbs, like nothing haha. But hey, where's the fun in that.

Oh yeah, nano biners could go the toggles, this in my experience may require longer tree straps, or extenders though.

I noticed it should know the feeling in a couple weeks.
    Last edited by exup; 06-12-2011 at 16:39. Reason: forgot something

Hammock
    GTUL/WBRR
    Tarp
    Ogee/Diy
    Insulation
    HudsonR/EE20/Leilo
    Suspension
    DynaWhoopie/Hugger
    Images
    There was a sub 5lb kit over at bpl. The guy had a very minimal amount of gear. Now I am all for going ultralight, but there comes a point where you really start sacrificing comfort and sometimes safety to reach the weight goal. That isn't a big deal when you are hiking somewhere like RRG where your car is usually no more than a couple hours away, but when you are thru hiking somewhere like the AT or KT you have to be careful. Just my thoughts. YMMV. Honestly that is a nice kit.
    "If animals could speak the dog would be a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."
    - Mark Twain

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! NO MORE WOOD!"
    - Mancat

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Impressive, most impressive. I got as low as 7lbs but I really wanted to bring a few items I use to film and certain clothes and what not I preferred. So for summer I sit around 9lbs, 3 season I'm at 10.5lbs.

As GLP and Te-Wa (aka flying squirrel) stated SUL is below 5lbs and UL is below 10lbs.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    cuben fiber
    Insulation
    down goodies
    Suspension
    The Force
    Images
    I wanted to get your attention with the SUL heading in hopes of getting rid of the last .9lbs. I have read backpacking light I dont know how many times and understand the SUL chapter very well. The top quilt is a summer with over fill. Adam told me it is the same one he has been using and I have had it in the mid 30's no prob. The only piece i haven't used is the cuben uq. Adam is putting the finishing touches on it as we speak and have been told it will weigh in at +-8 oz. The cuben top quilt is a no go for me because of the breathing factor. cuben is a vapor barrier and next to skin will make you sweat. The cup thing I have been thinking about going lighter. I have used a beer can pot and dont like the whole lining thing when I am boiling in it. The 700 gives me the ability to make coffee and make a meal. I have the mini atomic boiling 2cups in under 5min with about an oz of fuel. just like the set up. oh by the way my swiss classic, compass, and light are on a lanyard around my neck at all times, not in the pack

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    cuben fiber
    Insulation
    down goodies
    Suspension
    The Force
    Images
    Hey this is hammock camping. I have always associated that stigma with ground dwellers.
    For a hammock hanger has to carry more in the ways of a bigger tarp, under quilt and the hammock its self with the suspension. I think we as hangers should be able to decide on our own as light, ultra light and SUL . LOL

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast