WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I have a WBBB and after my recent 120 mile hike with it, I ordered a Switchback 1.1dbl. I loved the shelf, the width and the weight of the BB. Unfortunately there were a couple of things I just found too annoying. I'm fairly tall and when my feet were in the foot box my ankle bones were pushed together and I would find myself waking in the middle of the night from pain.

I also did not like the tie out configuration on the zipper side. The tie out is connected to the upper part of the hammock which includes the netting and a small section of hammock material. That means that when you are in the hammock you can't unzip and flip the netting out of the way without getting out of the hammock. And disconnecting the tie out.

Those same tie outs impede entry and exit from the hammock especially at night. Basically they require you to exit and enter from the foot end of the hammock. More than once I found some body part becoming entangled with the lines. If you want to sit in the BB with the netting out of the way, you pretty much have to unhook that side tie-out.

I know the WBBB is the most popular hammock being sold on this forum but for me it just wasn't happening. Oh yeah....I couldn't see a thing out of it while lying in it.

I started with a Claytor JH but that too had a couple of drawbacks. I see the Switchback as a similar design but with all the improvements I wanted added on the Claytor. The Switchback is wider, has more pockets, dual zippers, dual tie-outs which don't impede the netting, a non structural ridgeline, dual interior end loops and the ability to tie the netting out of the way while being inside the hammock. Kind of a Claytor on steroids so to speak. I'll give my impressions of the Switchback soon as it's in the mail.

On the other-hand my wife has inherited the WBBB and loves it. She's only 5'2" and doesn't even use the foot box.

Miguel

Hammock
    switchback, wbbb, clark ul
    Tarp
    oes standard/ultra
    Insulation
    jrb uq/ leighlo tq
    Suspension
    diy whoopiesling
    if you think you like it now,wait till you get in it!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I have a WBBB and a SB. Hands down the SB is much more comfortable to me.
    Now I will qualify that statement. I sleep only on my side and I like to switch sides several times during the night. The BB simply will not let me do this, it is a "directional" hammock when it comes to side sleeping. If I slept on my back without turning, I would probably like the BB, but for pure comfort, I don't think it would ever beat the SB. Be aware that the SB's comfort comes at a price - it weighs more and packs bigger than the BB. As a lightweight hiker, that annoys me, but not enough to leave my SB at home.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    Another WBBB + SB owner. I don't find a noticeable difference in comfort, I just like the openess of the SB better. I also like the ability to unzip and roll up the netting, allowing for lounging. My SB is a SL and it really seems to stretch. I have to hang it about a foot higher to compensate for the stretch. I don't get to use it much since it belongs to the wife.

Thanks again everyone for your replies.

i have noticed a couple people talk about the stretch of the switchback. Is this in the actual hammock material or is it the suspension that has a bit of give to it?

I am more of a side sleeper. I can never get comfortable in my bed and often switch my sides a number of times through out the night and hardly ever sleep on my back. It sounds as if the switch back would be a better option if this were the case?

Switchback owners with your experience how long did it take for your hammock to ship?

Thanks again everyone!

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    It seems like the fabric stretches but it's the only single layer hammock I own. Wasn't sure if this is normal. It's not a problem for me, once I learned how to hang it. I also sleep in a bed as you described. I find that I don't turn near as much in a hammock. Seems like the wait was 4 - 6 weeks for my SB, but they were just getting started and didn't even have a website yet.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    I've not experienced any material stretch in my single layer 1.9 Switchback. Mine was quickly to my doorstep after ordering.
    Last edited by Alan; 06-14-2011 at 10:14.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jlink View Post
    Thanks again everyone for your replies.

i have noticed a couple people talk about the stretch of the switchback. Is this in the actual hammock material or is it the suspension that has a bit of give to it?

I am more of a side sleeper. I can never get comfortable in my bed and often switch my sides a number of times through out the night and hardly ever sleep on my back. It sounds as if the switch back would be a better option if this were the case?

Switchback owners with your experience how long did it take for your hammock to ship?

Thanks again everyone!
    I ordered mine on Friday...it shipped on Monday...should be here by tomorrow. It seemes to be next day shipping if it's in stock.

Miguel

Hammock
    switchback, wbbb, clark ul
    Tarp
    oes standard/ultra
    Insulation
    jrb uq/ leighlo tq
    Suspension
    diy whoopiesling
    i have the 1.1 dbl, and have only slept in it a couple of times ,but no stretch, i also sleep on my side and switch a couple of times a night, i like that the lay is the same no matter where i am in the hammock
    i ordered mine while the guys were at traildays, so i can't speak to the speed of shipping,

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brushybill View Post
    i have the 1.1 dbl, and have only slept in it a couple of times ,but no stretch, i also sleep on my side and switch a couple of times a night, i like that the lay is the same no matter where i am in the hammock
    +1 on all of that. No stretch in either my 1.1 dbl or my Light Hiker.

I ordered the Light Hiker when they must have had some stock on hand. It shipped pretty quick. I ordered the 1.1 dbl immediately upon TtTTG making them available - no stock on hand - and it took a bit to get the hammock. It was so worth the wait. Gear from any of the home shops here on HF.net is all worth the wait.
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast