Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Switchback?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Switchback?

Hi everyone!

I am about to make my first hammock purchase and was considering the HH deep jungle and the BB.

However I recently saw the switchback. There isn't a ton of information on the website and was wondering if anyone could give me more information about it.

Also if you could compare it to the BB and the HH and just you overall thoughts on it. Like weight, ease of set up, comfort level, does it have any sort of shelf how the BB does?

Just any thoughts in general.

Thanks a lot!

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I can't speak to weight but I found the Switchback more comfortable than my Explorer Ultralight. In fact I dumped the Hennessy and now use a Light Hiker as my go-to hammock. There's no shelf like the BB but I find the shelf just blocks the view on that side. I prefer to have clear visibility on either side. You can read about the Light Hiker on my blog under the Gear section.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    jlink,

Welcome to HF!

I've probably owned 95% of all the hammocks on the market. Sometimes 2 or 3 variants. I know...it's a sickness, but I'm trying to deal with it.

At any rate, my current inventory consists of a Switchback and a Blackbird. Both are excellent hammocks but the Switchback happens to be my current hammock of choice. The biggest reason for this: no calf ridge pressure underneath from the fabric!

Here's some reading material for you:

Hammock nirvana!

Double layer to single layer Switchback

2 hammocks for the price of 1

Tie the netting up out of the way and have it ready for quick deployment

Not a fan of whoopie slings so I switched out the suspension method

Hammock
    switchback, wbbb, clark ul
    Tarp
    oes standard/ultra
    Insulation
    jrb uq/ leighlo tq
    Suspension
    diy whoopiesling
    i have had a clark , a blackbird and a switchback, for pure comfort , i prefer the switchback, although it is a little heavier and requires a larger tarp to get adequate coverage, so there is a wieght penalty involved.
    my thinking is that i would rather carry a little more wieght , or cut wieght elsewhere in order to get the best sleep i can, after all , thats why i carry a hammock in the first place.
    i can't comment on the hennessy, but i will say that the blackbird is one sweet hammock, i don't think you will be dissapointed with either one

Thanks for all your replies

I have been doing some reading on the switchback and everyone seems to talk about how wide it is. The only dimension I could find it looked like the BB was actually wider. Could anyone confirm that or not?

thanks again.

Hammock
    Dutchware netless
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG 3S
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    I was at the Hot Springs hang this year and tried out the Switchbacks. I have really broad shoulders but even the Light Hiker felt comfortable to me. I like that the bug net zips on both sides. Also, you won't find better guys to do business with. Didn't get to talk with Dale but spent a great deal of time talking with John. Throw in Ed Speer and you have a wealth of knowledge. I'll definitely be doing business with these guys.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL & Switchback
    Tarp
    Mega Ogee & OES 4S
    Insulation
    Way too many
    Suspension
    WBBB Web Strap
    I too was at Hot Springs and tried out the Switchback. I was really impressed. I like both the greater view you get from the Switchback and the zippers on both sides. When I got home I kept thinking about it and finally ordered one. Dale was great to work with. I got it in short order and have done a couple of test hangs but have not had a chance to do an overnighter yet.

Now to the question as to which I like better. Luckily I do not have to choose. I have both. Maybe once I have some more testing time with the two there may be a clear winner, I just am not there yet.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by jlink View Post
    The only dimension I could find it looked like the BB was actually wider. Could anyone confirm that or not?
    Yes the specs show the BB being wider and it is. I have a BB and had a SB Lighthiker briefly. To me the BB felt noticeably wider.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I have a Light Hiker, and I just got a Netless Switchback that I like very much! I'm not an unbiased hanger, since Tree to Tree makes Molly Mac Gear, but the Switchback is a great hammock.

When I had a HH, I found that by shortening the ridgeline as much as three or four inches, I could increase the sag and almost eliminate the cut-across-the-left-leg syndrome.

With the Switchback, which has no structural ridgeline, it's the opposite. If you get any cut-across-the-left-leg at all, it's because you are hanging it with too much sag. Tighten it up a little, and find your sweet spot.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I have a WBBB and both a SB 1.1 dbl and SB Light Hiker.

I really want to love the BB. The design is great. The shelf is great. I'm trying to tweak out the calf ridge. But, last week when my AC was out and I decided to gear test in the back yard instead of slow simmer in a hot house, I went directly to my SwitchBack 1.1 dbl. I wanted a comfortable night of sleep and I got it. It's all about the comfort and for me that is either of my SwitchBack hammocks.
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast