A Simple Solution For Staying Warm Using A Hammock!

I found a low cost item that's perfect for use as an over bag for hammocks. If you need extra warmth when sleeping in a hammock on cold nights, you'll need a good over bag.

Here's a product from Performance Systems at www.BlizzardSurvival.com called the Survival Tube. It's a survival bag/tube that holds one or two people. It has draw cord closures at both ends, and it's made from several layers of space age Reflexcell™. The bag gives a warmth-to-weight ratio value of 8 Togs - equal to a medium weight regular sleeping bag and they are fully waterproof and windproof. The bag weighs 18.5 oz and can be folded and rolled to a small size for storage. It's delivered vacuum sealed about the size of a video cassette.

It is a bit crinkly as they say, but the crinkly noise is not an issue once you get inside the hammock, because you don't roll around like you would if you were laying on the ground. The benefit of using the Survival Tube with a hammock is there's no strain placed on the bag because it's suspended in the air.

I've used the Survival Tube at 38 degrees with a fleece blanket and sleeping pad inside the hammock and was very warm all night long. This is a good product when used as an over bag for hammocks. If you're a cold weather hammock camper, you owe it to yourself to check this product out.

On a few occasions I found a very slight amount of condensation (damp to the touch) inside the bag at the foot opening. Simply open the closure with the adjustable draw cord and it dries very fast. If you use a fleece blanket inside the hammock it should minimize the moisture. You can also control air flow into the bag by adjusting the draw cord closures to your liking.

I have not used this product over an extended period, so I can't say how it will hold up over time. But for $29.95 (US) it's a great backup for hammock campers when the weather turns bad. I carry one in my gear as backup for that "just in case" scenario.

For the low price of $29.95 (US), I think it's a good product at least for my application. Their USA office is in Houston, Texas - phone number is 888-737-7978.

To use as an over bag, simply slide your hammock through the Survival Tube. Close the end at the foot with the pull draw cord. Get in the hammock, pull the Survival Tube over your body and hammock then adjust the draw cord under your chin. To avoid suffocation, always keep your head outside the bag.

Here's a few pictures

Comes vacuum packed the size of a VCR casstte

Unpack and slide hammock through the Survival Tube

Get in the hammock

Slide the bag over your body and hammock. Always keep your head outside the bag to avoid suffocation.