Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hammock Over Bag

A Simple Solution For Staying Warm Using A Hammock!

I found a low cost item that's perfect for use as an over bag for hammocks. If you need extra warmth when sleeping in a hammock on cold nights, you'll need a good over bag.

Here's a product from Performance Systems at www.BlizzardSurvival.com called the Survival Tube. It's a survival bag/tube that holds one or two people. It has draw cord closures at both ends, and it's made from several layers of space age Reflexcell™. The bag gives a warmth-to-weight ratio value of 8 Togs - equal to a medium weight regular sleeping bag and they are fully waterproof and windproof. The bag weighs 18.5 oz and can be folded and rolled to a small size for storage. It's delivered vacuum sealed about the size of a video cassette.

It is a bit crinkly as they say, but the crinkly noise is not an issue once you get inside the hammock, because you don't roll around like you would if you were laying on the ground. The benefit of using the Survival Tube with a hammock is there's no strain placed on the bag because it's suspended in the air.

I've used the Survival Tube at 38 degrees with a fleece blanket and sleeping pad inside the hammock and was very warm all night long. This is a good product when used as an over bag for hammocks. If you're a cold weather hammock camper, you owe it to yourself to check this product out.

On a few occasions I found a very slight amount of condensation (damp to the touch) inside the bag at the foot opening. Simply open the closure with the adjustable draw cord and it dries very fast. If you use a fleece blanket inside the hammock it should minimize the moisture. You can also control air flow into the bag by adjusting the draw cord closures to your liking.

I have not used this product over an extended period, so I can't say how it will hold up over time. But for $29.95 (US) it's a great backup for hammock campers when the weather turns bad. I carry one in my gear as backup for that "just in case" scenario.

For the low price of $29.95 (US), I think it's a good product at least for my application. Their USA office is in Houston, Texas - phone number is 888-737-7978.

To use as an over bag, simply slide your hammock through the Survival Tube. Close the end at the foot with the pull draw cord. Get in the hammock, pull the Survival Tube over your body and hammock then adjust the draw cord under your chin. To avoid suffocation, always keep your head outside the bag.

Here's a few pictures

Comes vacuum packed the size of a VCR casstte

Unpack and slide hammock through the Survival Tube

Get in the hammock

Slide the bag over your body and hammock. Always keep your head outside the bag to avoid suffocation.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Yep, looks like it would work. Same concept as the hammock socks lots of us have made.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    How durable is the material, will it hold up over a period of time? I like the idea, it sure likes something to look at. Thanks for the report.
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Quote Originally Posted by Preacha Man View Post
    How durable is the material, will it hold up over a period of time? I like the idea, it sure likes something to look at. Thanks for the report.
    I've talked with the company and they claim it's durable and will hold up over repeated use. Since this application is used with a hammock and there is no strain on the bag, because it's suspended in the air, I think it would hold up just fine.

I pack one for use as a backup in case the weather turns bad.

TG

Hammock
    WBB1.7, HH EXP UL , Claytor Nonet
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, RMS
    Suspension
    buckles or whoopie
    Images

Thumbs up

Pretty cool,
    I like the idea of an emergency backup or into a survival kit as part of a shelter maybe with a claytor no net or DIY kept in the truck etc.
    thanks for sharing the info

did you get it back into the package????

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    On their web site it says:
    "The Blizzard Survival Brand incorporating Reflexcell™ material has become the new standard wherever thermal performance in a lightweight compact package is essential - for military use, casualty care, emergency preparedness, disaster relief, personal survival, outdoor activities...and more.

Reflexcell™ products are totally unique: weight-for-weight far warmer than goose down, yet 100% weatherproof, tough, ultra-portable and re-usable.

Life-saving technology has never been so affordable.

Our product represents a step change in the way both civilian and military users prepare for emergencies and treat trauma cases.

Exciting New Product from Blizzard
    Blizzard will soon launch the Blizzard Heat Blanket an insulated and active warming system for the whole body. Utilising it's unique 3-ply Reflexcell™ material in a reflective insulating blanket with self-activating heating pads it incorporates front & side vents for easy access, and integral hood for head protection."

My questions:
    Did you weigh yours? How much? (The site says 385 grams. My conversion program says: 385 grams = 0.848 pound)
    Once opened, how small can you get it compressed?
    What are it's dimensions? Length? Width? Loft or thickness as aplicable? (the site lists volume, a number totally useless to me at least)
    The "self-activating heating pads" can you re use them or what? Do they activate when you open the bag, or do you open something else? If a good idea, can you get more / replacements? Where are they located?

Seems to have potential. Especially in conjunction with a hammock sock. For the price & weight, I may get one for next winter. At least to test. OH! my conversion says that it costs, without shipping: $54.57 (L 27.49 = $54.57), UM, nevermind
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    home-made
    Tarp
    home-made
    Images
    I saw something kinda similar this weekend while browsing through Sportsman's Warehouse. This is basically the same thing, except made out of "2.5 mil polyethylene." It is 8' long, and I would say it compacts to about half the size of the Survival Tube, but doesn't provide much in the way of heat reflection. No weight is given on the website, but it was pretty light when I held it in the store. I want to say it was in the $3-5 range.

Now that I think about it, this might work to make a sock out of, I think I'd pay more than that for fabric... Might have to look into it! Dunno how long it'd last, though. It's sold as an emergency shelter, so probably not as durable as I'd want.

Hammock
    WBB1.7, HH EXP UL , Claytor Nonet
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, RMS
    Suspension
    buckles or whoopie
    Images
    I think the US$ from the post was 29~30

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by froldt View Post
    I saw something kinda similar this weekend while browsing through Sportsman's Warehouse. This is basically the same thing, except made out of "2.5 mil polyethylene." It is 8' long, and I would say it compacts to about half the size of the Survival Tube, but doesn't provide much in the way of heat reflection. No weight is given on the website, but it was pretty light when I held it in the store. I want to say it was in the $3-5 range.

Now that I think about it, this might work to make a sock out of, I think I'd pay more than that for fabric... Might have to look into it! Dunno how long it'd last, though. It's sold as an emergency shelter, so probably not as durable as I'd want.
    Wow, Does that ever bring back memories. I used a tube tent backpacking in California when I lived there in the 60s and 70s, They are really very good. Mine was 10 feet long. Even used it when I came back to Indiana a few times before I could afford a tent. Wonderfully simple. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    I am impressed by the Blizzard tube and the blanket. Perhaps the blanket would be better because you could leave it open, would not have to be closed all the time. Of course we could alter the tube to open too. I for one will buy one and test it. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast