Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    diy uq
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images

Overnight in the Ellicott Rock Wilderness

Some friends that I work with (one of them fellow forum member johnfolsomjr) and I went for an overnight along the Chattooga river in the Ellicott rock wilderness the night of 6-9-2011. It was great. We parked at the Burrell's Ford parking area and hiked in about a 1 1/2 miles to a great site by the river with a great beach area. We got to camp around 4:00 pm, got set up, and started some fishing. We fished until we had to start preparing for dark. Of the five guys that went, only three of us were regular hangers, but myself and another guy were able to get the other to guys outfitted for hanging. We had a great night, slept in the next morning, fished a little more, then hiked out. We fished some as we hiked out as well. It was a great trip and we're definitely going to going back again soon.

This is my wilderness logics big daddy tarp on her maiden overnight voyage. It performed beautifully

Here is a view of my diy hammock with my diy tube bugnet pulled back at the foot end.

Here's the view from right next to my hammock. It was great.

Here's a shot of fellow member johnfolsomjr with his rig in the background to the left and with the rig that I loaned to a friend on the right

Overall, it was a great trip and I can't wait to get back out there again.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, DIY
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Nice pics, looks like a great spot. What did the virgin hangers think about their experience?
    "truth is uncontainable, and inexpressible. It neither is nor is not.
    This unformulated principle is the foundation of the different systems of all the sages."
    Diamond Sutra

Hammock
    DIY/Hammock Bliss/GT UL
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    diy uq
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    They loved it. One of the guys had been with us before and gave in to the dark side. They both put up with johnfolsomjr and I talking about hammockforums constantly at work as well as hanging for lunch and any other reason we can think of, so they figured they'd give it a shot. They both said they were very comfortable and wanted to do it again without a doubt.

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    Sounds like a great trip. Love that area. Converting 2 more into hangers, eh? Did they mention if they enjoyed their hanging time as opposed to be on the ground? What am I thinking Of course they did. . . Silly me

Hoping to be on the Foothills Trail this coming November.
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    Dutchware netless
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG 3S
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Did you guys catch any fish? Planning to do a hike up there in the near future myself. It's been so hot lately I'm sure the trout bite is slowing down.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    **** I was gonna go but the weather scared me off I was the other day and it rained 2 days most of the days. We seriously need to get a burrells ford hang going
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    DIY/Hammock Bliss/GT UL
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    diy uq
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ShellD View Post
    Did you guys catch any fish? Planning to do a hike up there in the near future myself. It's been so hot lately I'm sure the trout bite is slowing down.
    We did catch a good number of them. Down by the site we were at, it was very small trout and a couple of blue gills. Up at burrell's ford, we caught a few decent trout. We only fished for about an hour up at burrell's ford. Rooster tails are what people have had good luck with there before, but the bait of the day was a can of "trout worms" from wally world. The guy using those out fished the rest of us 3:1.

Hammock
    DIY/Hammock Bliss/GT UL
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    diy uq
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NewtonGT View Post
    **** I was gonna go but the weather scared me off I was the other day and it rained 2 days most of the days. We seriously need to get a burrells ford hang going
    Burrells Ford would be a great place to host a hang. There are so many options up there. We figured on just the site we were on we could fit 10-12 hammocks as well as a couple of ground dwellers. The whole trail was lined with sites in just the short 1.5 mile span. Great place to go. It's going to be our new go-to location for a quick fix.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    ofcourse man. I go atleast every 2 or 3 weeks. if you hike in to right before the bridge where the trail splits for the hatchery and elicott rock there is a massive camp site that me and my friends always joke about throwing a huge party haha but nobody would walk that for that
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym Zip, Eno double nest
    Tarp
    HH Asym
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    HH, tree huggers
    Nice Tr And pics.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast