GTUL/WBRR
    Tarp
    Ogee/Diy
    Insulation
    HudsonR/EE20/Leilo
    Suspension
    DynaWhoopie/Hugger
    Images

Do I need a custom Leighlo for a bridge hammock?

So over in this thread finskie had leighlo create a trapezoid shaped underquilt for his bridge. I am thinking about purchasing one for my bridge hammock, do I need to have it custom made? Anyone using a normal unmodified 2/3rd underquilt on their bridge?
    "If animals could speak the dog would be a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."
    - Mark Twain

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! NO MORE WOOD!"
    - Mancat

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    I know JRB has the bridge underquilt. and Im pretty sure ive read that billybob58 has used other underquilts under his bridge. but I dont know for sure.
    http://leighlounderquilts.webs.com/a...savage-gult-tn
    thats a link of hangnout camping with his bridge with the leighloquilt. his daughter makes them so it might have been special but I dont think so. but you can always PM him and ask
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mancat View Post
    So over in this thread finskie had leighlo create a trapezoid shaped underquilt for his bridge. I am thinking about purchasing one for my bridge hammock, do I need to have it custom made? Anyone using a normal unmodified 2/3rd underquilt on their bridge?
    Of course you need a Leigh UQ The custom part of the one you mentioned is the trapezoid shape for the 2/3 UQ. This shape matches the lines of the bridge very well and eliminates some unused parts of the UQ. It also makes it very easy to seal to hammock. The one mentioned above was also a little longer (60"). In the bridge you normally use a pillow so a 60" UQ will cover anyone under 6' when they use a pillow to insulate the head.

The full length UQ's are already trapezoid shaped.

My personal UQ shown in the video link above is trapezoid shaped 48" 3season that took me well below 20*. BTW I use this same UQ on all my hammocks.

You can't go wrong with any of the vendors on HF and most all of the UQ's will work easily on the bridge.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    The only reason to have a custom bridge UQ is for some reason the UQ doesn't need to be as wide. However any existing UQ will be fine.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NewtonGT View Post
    I know JRB has the bridge underquilt. and Im pretty sure ive read that billybob58 has used other underquilts under his bridge. but I dont know for sure.
    http://leighlounderquilts.webs.com/a...savage-gult-tn
    thats a link of hangnout camping with his bridge with the leighloquilt. his daughter makes them so it might have been special but I dont think so. but you can always PM him and ask
    I think you- or someone- will just have to try it out to know for sure.

As far as I know, JRB does not make a quilt especially for a bridge. I don't think they changed their original quilt designs (may well be wrong) when they made the JRB bridge. And they say all of their quilts can be used on their bridge, as well as non-bridge hammocks. Maybe the bridge itself was designed to work perfectly wit their quilts?

I can say their bridge and the MW4 work as though a custom fit. It appears to be a simple rectangular cut quilt though with a dif cut.

I have a MMP IX UQ that was designed to be used on a HH Explorer. Amazingly, it seems to work perfectly on the GrizzBridge. I have not tried it on the JRB bridge.

I have tried my synthetic WB torso ( seems identical to a "Yeti") on the JRB bridge. I used to think it did not work because there seemed to always be a gap between my spine and the quilt, though sealed well around the edges and ends. But I tried it again recently with more tension and it seemed to work better. Jury is still out.

So, not much help from me except to say you will just have to try a quilt to see if it works. Or, custom made for your hammock. Maybe some one else will know from personal experience.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I can say their bridge and the MW4 work as though a custom fit. It appears to be a simple rectangular cut quilt though with a dif cut.
    The JRB MW UQ's are only 42" wide which helps them shape to the bridge and seal easier than the wider full length quilts.

When you lay in the bridge it forms a hour glass shape and if your full length UQ is pulled straight between the spreader bar ends, above the center point, you can have an air gap in the center on both sides. This is easily fixed with some tabs or anything that will pull the UQ in at the center point. If you use a ridgeline on your bridge, running a piece of shock cord across it to tabs in the center of UQ is very easy. The only time I have had this problem is with a wide rectangular quilt. The JRB MW UQ's are narrow enough to not have to make this additional adjustment.

The shorter UQ (2/3,3/4) is normally being shaped to the bridge around the knee area and is not being pulled out as wide. Just about any fractional UQ from any vendor will be easy to use on the bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    The only reason to have a custom bridge UQ is for some reason the UQ doesn't need to be as wide. However any existing UQ will be fine.
    Hamhocker use's hammockgears full length underquilts (summer, 3 season) on her bridge hammock and they work great. We haven't used the 3/4 winter underquilt on it yet but I don't see any problem.

I am sure Leighlo's underquilts will be just fine without getting a custom one made
    Last edited by Ewker; 06-13-2011 at 14:21.
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    I assumed the MW4 was for the bridge. My bad
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NewtonGT View Post
    I assumed the MW4 was for the bridge. My bad
    It is for the bridge

Hammock
    GTUL/WBRR
    Tarp
    Ogee/Diy
    Insulation
    HudsonR/EE20/Leilo
    Suspension
    DynaWhoopie/Hugger
    Images
    Can anyone post a pic of the 2/3rds length 20 degree leighlo underquilt in a stuff sack next to a coke can?
    Last edited by Mancat; 06-13-2011 at 21:29.
    "If animals could speak the dog would be a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."
    - Mark Twain

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! NO MORE WOOD!"
    - Mancat

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast