Thread: tarp design

Hammock
    DIY 1.3 Ripstop Nylon
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    ccfPAD WM Highlite

tarp design

Other than blackbishop's design, is there any other design that is worth looking at? I am trying to contact blackbishop right now to get some info on how to make is tarp, but I wanted to get some info on other designs so I can make sure what kind of tarp I wanted.

I am 6'1" tall and will have a hammock that is about 10'6" long. I weight 200lbs. I am wondering what the smallest size tarp is that I can get away with. I've heard 7'x9' is a good size but I've also been told 8'x10'. I'm just wanting some of the folks here to weigh in on this also. Thanks for the help guys!
    God Bless,
    Kyle
    [email protected]

"Fearless warriors in a picket fence, reckless abandon wrapped in common sense
    Deep water faith in the shallow end and we are caught in the middle
    With eyes wide open to the differences, the God we want and the God who is
    But will we trade our dreams for His or are we caught in the middle" - Casting Crowns

I would add one foot min to each tarp end, plus the hammock length. Eighteen inches would be better.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    There are many tarp designs out there; probably to many to list. You need to look at what's out there and take the features that you need and incorporate them into your own design.

Blackbishop has instructions on his website for making the Black Cat tarps.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    There are lots of tarp designs that are worth looking at. The question is really what you want to do with the tarp. I have a DIY 12x10 tarp that is really great for spending a rainy day in camp. Not the best choice for fast and light, though. Too many tie-outs to mess with, too heavy, too bulky. A smaller, cat-cut tarp is on my project list, but pretty far down.

You could make a priority list (weight, ease of setup, coverage, versatility for different pitches, wind protection, durability, cost, dual-use, difficulty of construction etc.). Based on what is important to you, it should be pretty easy to figure out the right tarp design. Might be a tarp/poncho for fastpacking, or a 12x10 rectangular tarp for chilling out in camp, or blackbishop's design. The nice thing about making it yourself is that you can get exactly what you want.

Images
    No real websites that I know of. My next tarp is going to be a rectangle with extra tie-outs. I think I can close the ends with it and it will be more versitle.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DIY zHammock / WB BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Spinntex
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts, GG Pad
    I think that maybe a flat 8x10 made out of Spinnker or Cuben would satisfy both light weight, and large area. Also, like HE said, add multiple tieouts for a variety of pitch options. I would love to be able to close off one side or both or a 8x10 tarp around my hammock like a Speer Winter Tarp.
    NREMT-B, WEMT
    CPR goes up and down, up and down......because my patient's dead.
    Hanger Fromally Known as Ghost93.

Images
    On the Speer website, they show the 8x10 cat tarp closed off. I think you should be able to do the same thing with a simple rectangular 8x10.

Hammock
    DIY 1.3 Ripstop Nylon
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    ccfPAD WM Highlite
    schneiderlein,
    I have also seen that page, and I think I am going to make a tarp today. The only thing that I am trying to figure out now is how I need to cut the tarp, and what will be the most versitle shape and placing of tie out points.
    God Bless,
    Kyle
    [email protected]

But will we trade our dreams for His or are we caught in the middle" - Casting Crowns

Images
    If you want to make your life real easy, get a hot knife. I got the one suggested by Darby to cut the fabric for a new 3/4 underquilt I am working on, and it worked really well and saved a lot of time and aggravation tracing and cutting with scissors.

Are you trying to decide whether to use catenary curves or not? Maybe someone who has the Speer can give you an idea of how deep to make the cuts.

FWIW, on my rectangular tarp, I put two side tie-outs splitting the length into 3 equal segments. I did not reinforce the side tie-outs. So far, no problems.

Hammock
    DIY 1.3 Ripstop Nylon
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    ccfPAD WM Highlite
    thanks so much! This is the kind of info I'm wanting so I can know what to do about my tarp. I am not looking to do the catenary curves yet. Just want to get a very basic tarp down first.
    God Bless,
    Kyle
    [email protected]

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast