Tarp
    DIY OGEE,WL BD
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

Threads

I was wondering is there a real difference in polyester threads, when it comes to making hammocks?
    I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
    Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY DWR nylon
    Insulation
    DIY pad
    Suspension
    Depends
    I think threads are personal preferance. I hate polyester, I use nylon, even though it can be harder to find. I have seen on this site where people say nylon causes problems on the machine, but I just can't seem to find a happy spot with poly. I use it on the pfaff embroidery machine, but thats not weight bearing or structural, just lettering and decoration. But I also make fishing poles, and then there is a huge difference in thread quality, and I like Gudebrod.
    An emergency of my own making...is still an emergency.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    People I trust say there is a real difference in polyester threads when it comes to sewing machines ... excuse me, PTIs. Get good thread.

Images
    The real difference is in the amount of stretch (think hanging straps). Also, polyester thread is said to have a much higher UV resistance. I use the cheap cones of poly thread from JoAnn's Fabrics and my machine has never even so much as hiccuped because of it. I say get a small spool and give it a try. That's the only way you'll know for sure. Good Luck
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Any good quality thread _should_ be usable in most machines. What you absolutely want to stay away from is the really cheap stuff. You know... the $1 spools. Or 5 for $1. That stuff is horrible. Fabric stores are likely to have good thread because the turnover is consistent. They don't have thread sitting around in warehouses for years. Also their customers expect good thread when they are paying full retail for fabric and patterns. Gutterman's and other quality brands have a consistently smooth fine polished finish to the thread. The cheap nasty stuff doesn't.

Walmart can be hit and miss with thread. I've used some successfully and others have been nothing but trouble. Even the color of the thread can make a difference when using cheap stuff. The fibers finish differently depending on the color. Thread also has a shelf life. Buy it where there is a high turnover and consistently fresh stock.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts