Hammock
    1.1 Dbl WBBB/Traveler
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images

Whoopie Sling Single Line Tarp Ridge Line Question

Ok so Im thinking about buying the the whoopie sling single line tarp line and had a few questions for anyone who has used it. Can the soft shackle get sucked up into itself if you arent careful and lock it and is it easier to just go with the S biner?
    Audemus Jura Nostra Defendere

Mā te Atua me te wāhi ngaro tātou e tiaki e manaaki

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    It would be difficult for that to happen. The fabricator sets the length of the lock-down loop very small so that it forms a close collar around the shackle below the stopper. If you have any doubt, improve on it a bit by threading a piece of ribbon, dental floss, or what have you to help you open the shackle. If that helper is buried in the outer layer and long enough, it can also be used to withdraw a tail which has somehow buried itself.

This is more an issue, in my limited experience, with some of the whoopie slings out there, where as toys in adult kids hands (like mine), the loop CAN be pulled too far into the outer constricting layer. To recover from that the next time, I have tied a ribbon to and through the outer housing at the opening of the constrictor. I don't know why the should not be made with an even more substantial stopper. Have a look at the soft-shackles from Colligo Marine, and you will see they add such features.

http://www.tmpmarine.com/pages/colli...le2000_rev.jpg

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie&Dutchstuff
    I have the continuous tarp line with s-biners and think they're great. The soft shackles may save a very small amount of weight but it really is a small amount. The s-biners weigh next to nothing. I also have a soft shackle for attaching my SRL to my whoopies and think you'd struggle to pull the loop in on itself; the bury is measured to stop this happening. Just go with what you prefer, you wont be dissapointed with either.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    The original poster referred to changing or trying something new. The weight savings on the main suspension can be much greater if she had been using standard carabiners and changed to soft shackles.

Carrying a very lightweight kit in a pocket, I like dropping 2oz of leaving behind a pair of carabiners, 15% of the total kit (hammock and suspension) mass.

Then, there's the kit having gone completely soft, too, now all fiber parts.
    Deep textile karma.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 06-17-2011 at 03:15. Reason: editing, correction

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie&Dutchstuff
    I thought the OP was talking about the option to change from std. prussics and s-biners to soft shackles prussics for connecting the tarp to the single tarp line. This is an option when buying the single tarp line from Whoopieslings.com.

I agree that swapping 10cm biners for soft shackles on the main suspension is a much bigger weight saving and like DemostiX says, all the kit is soft and packs away nice and easy. The difference between std. prussics with s-biners and soft shackle prussics is much less, but still a saving.

Personally, I like the s-biner option because its easy to disconnect, and I would be far more likely to loose a soft shackle off my tarp line.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    The soft shackles on the Whoopie Sling Tarp ridgeline are prusiked onto the main line. You wont loose them unless you take them off.

When I put it together, it was more an option for those that leave their tarp attached to their RL and did not want to use hardware to make the connection to the prusiks. While you can take the tarp off everytime you stow, thats not the way it was designed to be used. It wasnt about saving weight.

Wogs, nothing on the SS will get sucked up into itself. Its a simple lock consisting of a tight fixed eye with some room between the brummel and the bury so it can be opened up.

• + New Posts