Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    Directing someone to a sticky or a previous thread is a little different than saying
    "Use the search button before you post" cuz I might have to log on and see that some newbie came here and asked a question and might take time for somebody to read and help out.

Can you see how it can appear....
    yes use the search function and look at the stickies....but I hope the " stuck up" attitude from other boards does not leak out here...
    "Proud Pound Hawg"
    Republic of Texas H.O.G. (Hennessy Owners Group)

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    In most cases when I respond to a query, I do the search for the member and give them the link....mainly as I am a slow typer and may short-change them on the answer.
    That is why I do videos to help out the new and old members and have fun myself. It is easier then typing for my two index fingers.
    There is a lot more options now than when I joined HF and i know that it can perplex the noob on here whether they are 'forum savvy" or new to the whole thing. it was totally new to me when i signed up. Particularly helpful to me...once I discovered them...where sticky from JustJeff and Headchange4u.
    They changed my whole hanging world......

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Directing someone to a sticky or a previous thread is a little different than saying
    "Use the search button before you post" cuz I might have to log on and see that some newbie came here and asked a question and might take time for somebody to read and help out.

Can you see how it can appear....
    yes use the search function and look at the stickies....but I hope the " stuck up" attitude from other boards does not leak out here...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    In most cases when I respond to a query, I do the search for the member and give them the link....mainly as I am a slow typer and may short-change them on the answer.
    That is why I do videos to help out the new and old members and have fun myself. It is easier then typing for my two index fingers.
    There is a lot more options now than when I joined HF and i know that it can perplex the noob on here whether they are 'forum savvy" or new to the whole thing. it was totally new to me when i signed up. Particularly helpful to me...once I discovered them...where sticky from JustJeff and Headchange4u.
    They changed my whole hanging world......

Shug
    I sort of agree with both Randy and Shug. I guess what i'd like to see is members who have been around for a while answer a newbies specific question ( if they feel like it),and then direct them to search and stickies. There's been a few times i've seen folks just direct someone to search without answering the question and i thought it was a bit rude.
    JUst my 2cents
    bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    would this idea be helpful, or does even make sense?

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    perhaps a "Be sure to check out stickies" link could be included with the registration?

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Tarp
    Insulation
    Clark Pockets
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    perhaps a "Be sure to check out stickies" link could be included with the registration?
    wouldn't hurt

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    I have to agree that I hate other forums that immediately tell me that I should have searched. I mean dont you think I tried to find the answer before asking? and like randy said this is a real place where nice people will help you out. hands down best forum ever
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Tarp
    Insulation
    Clark Pockets
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Def the best one I have ever been a part of...
    It's hard to have a bad day in a good hammock. - Jeremy Flatt

Hammock
    DIY/Hammock Bliss/GT UL
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    diy uq
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    I think providing a link is helping people. I do agree that simply providing the link with no other response is a bit rude. I had never been a part of a forum before joining here, so I didn't know how it all worked. I didn't post a lot of questions, but I wasn't in any hurry for information. I just cruised around for a while to get a lay of the land. I know a lot of people want tons of info right away, which is totally fine. That's when you ask questions. I love both the information and the community here, and I think where things can go wrong is when it becomes more community, less information. If people have to quit discussing their newest idea for the 37th different suspension idea to help out a new guy and that annoys them, then the whole idea of this forum is lost. New ideas are what drives things, but the old ideas are enough to make you scratch your head for quite a while without some guidance. That's exactly the kind of guidance that shug and so many others freely provide every day. That's what makes this forum so special.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jraffini View Post
    I think providing a link is helping people. I do agree that simply providing the link with no other response is a bit rude. I had never been a part of a forum before joining here, so I didn't know how it all worked. I didn't post a lot of questions, but I wasn't in any hurry for information. I just cruised around for a while to get a lay of the land. I know a lot of people want tons of info right away, which is totally fine. That's when you ask questions. I love both the information and the community here, and I think where things can go wrong is when it becomes more community, less information. If people have to quit discussing their newest idea for the 37th different suspension idea to help out a new guy and that annoys them, then the whole idea of this forum is lost. New ideas are what drives things, but the old ideas are enough to make you scratch your head for quite a while without some guidance. That's exactly the kind of guidance that shug and so many others freely provide every day. That's what makes this forum so special.
    I am weeping on my dirty hotel floor now......
    wVery well said.
    Thankee.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast