Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: No More UQ

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Convert2010 View Post
    OKay, I have used an Under Quilt in the past, but in March I went to Springer Mtn. and the weather was to be nice, but we found out (not soon enough) that some cold weather was to move in at night and we were concerned since we didnt pack our UQs. So we had to improvise.

My buddy used an extra tarp ($5 blue tarp from WM) and I Used my ground cloth (4x8 old tent floor) we rigged them just like an UQ and with my winter tarp that hangs down almost to the floor, I was toasty in my bag.

My watch hung on the ridge-line of the hammock and registered 26* at around 0230 which told me that it may have been between 15 and 20* outside.

Sometime in the night we had a fog bank roll in and at that elevation in 15* weather with wind (10-15mph) we woke up to a winter wonderland. There were ice crystals everywhere. (video on YouTube)

In my hammock it was 26 but in my sleeping bag, it was 70* so I feel that the ground cloth acted as a wind barrier along with my rain fly blocking most of the wind.

So I don't see the need for an UQ. Now in the interest of full disclosure I do use an inflatable air mattress under my sleeping bag and a blue foam pad (custom cut to my frame) inside my bag.

So, I don't think I need to extra weight or space.

Do those that do use an UQ...

...sleep on an air mattress or foam pad?
    ...sleep directly on the hammock fabric?
    To make sure I have it right: you rigged a ground cloth under your hammock to function much like an under cover, plus you used 2 pads? That obviously worked good. But depending on the thickness and R rating of the pads, you could have just as well gone to below zero with pads only.

IOW, I suspect that most of your good results were do to your pads- and maybe a little from your sleeping bag if you were inside a synthetic bag which doesn't compress near as much 900 FP down. Also of course, if you slept in layers of fleece or other synthetic clothing, you cold expect some additional boost for back temps.

But that is not to say the ground cloth under cover you rigged did not also boost things a bit. Many HH Super Shelter users will attest to the benefit of having the addition of that wind/rain/fog blocking layer under you. But for most of us, without any additional insulation ( like the HHSS OCF pad and a space blanket it is meant to work with), it is probably not good for more than 60 or 65* by itself. Then most need something else, whether an HH pad under the hammock or a WM blue pad or other type pad inside the hammock. Fleece jackets and such work great down in that UC also.

Also, your pads acted as a vapor barrier kept warm next to your body. Without the pads, you very likely would have had a lot of condensation down in your ground cloth UC. But as it is, sounds like you came up with a usable system using what you already had with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliteoomph View Post

The basic principle goes sort of like this.

Your body gives off heat underneath you which passes through your breathable layer of fabric. Without anything at all the cold air makes contact with your bottom layer and your body heat steadily escapes.

An UQ helps to hold in the warmth through insulation.

The Clark design and the design I would like to try and emulate works off the principle I talked about above. Your bodyheat is released below you and is reflected back up by a non breathable layer. (this is also effective with breathable layers, but I want to work with different fabrics to see what gets the best results) This dead air chamber essentially locks in the heat without a need for insulation. It is the same principle as any other way of reflective heating and why something as cheap and simple as a super thin space blanket can save your life. There is a lot of fine tuning that has to be done and testing to see just how cold of weather this method will endure. But, as of right now I KNOW from experience I was quite toasty at below freezing temps.
    Again, sounds much like the principle used with the HH SS Sil-Nylon UC. But again, most folks have not been able to get much more than 10-20 degrees of protection without putting some form of insulation between the UC and the hammock. And again, without some vapor barrier ( like a space blanket) between them and the insulation/Sil-Nylon UC and very close to the hammock(to keep it warm), most have been plagued by lots of condensation. Some have had condensation problems regardless(luckily, not me).

But certainly sounds like you have had good results with the Clark pockets!

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Tarp
    Insulation
    Clark Pockets
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Yeah the clark pockets worked much better then I ever expected... I am sure they put a LOT of money and research into their method so I am going to pay close attention to that. The velcro pockets the have on the side have little small openings and vents that I assume would help with any condensation problems but, would the problem only be below you if there was one?

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss No See Um
    Tarp
    Walmart Special
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings!
    Images
    I am currently okay with just a blue pad and a sleeping bag. But then, the nightly temps around here are in the mid 70's so I don't really use anything at all. As time moves on, i will look into underquilts and overquilts for insulation. But those won't be pressing issues unless I happen across down comforters, sleeping bags, and the like at a yard sale or something.

The point to be made form all of us is simple, find what works for you and go with it. Don't stop experimenting, but don't think that any one method is THE method to be followed.

Happy hanging!
    Help a Boy Scout Troop in your area - become a mentor.

God created Firemen so cops would have heros.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Tarp
    Insulation
    Clark Pockets
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    that's right... I feel anything can be evolved... There is always a way to make something better...

If you're comfortable with pads, then, by all means, ditch the UQ. Since just a blue walmart pad will easily get you down in the 20 (even without a tarp draped under the hammock) there is no advantage to using both except perhaps at -40 or something. As others have said, the UQ is more comfortable/less fiddly alternative to the pad.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    syn UQ $150
    Down UQ $200+
    WW blue pad $5.88

Insulating performance: By all accounts read on this forum, Bluepad wins.

No trees and icy ground? You stay alive with the blue pad.

Comfort? Well, I suppose a UQ wins, but I don;t feel any discomfort with a blue pad, and with my budget, there is no way I can justify the cost of a UQ.

Oh, the blue pad is lighter than just about any UQ.

IMO, the only bad thing about a ccf pad is that you usually have to strap it on the outside of one's pack. OTOH if I use my 60 litre Alps pack, The pad goes in as a "liner" for the main pack and everything else fits easily.

OTOH2 I just scored a down quilt at the thrift store for $8 or so. I will make an UQ that I will try for car camping where it is safe to abandon when things go wrong.

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Personally, I celebrated the day I could toss the wally pad, and use the uq..
    In the fall I will pickup a tq from Mr. Stormcrow and life will be complete!!...
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Directly on the hammock fabric, no mattresses or pads required. It doesn't make sense to use both. Either an underquilt or a pad system can work, it's just personal preference.

I much prefer the underquilt option for hammocks.
    +1

For a moment, the OP had me wondering how he did it, then the truth comes out: he had a pad! Yes, either or, but not both. Pads can be nice to spread out a tight hammock, but that can also be solved with different hanging techniques or a different hammock

I used pads for a while, but haven't since I received my first under quilt.

Well I never understood the fact that folks only used the UQ. I thought a pad was in the hammock. Now that I know THIS, I may try the UQ and NO PAD in the hammock to see how I sleep.

This was all great info. thanks everyone.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PDA View Post
    syn UQ $150
    Down UQ $200+
    WW blue pad $5.88

Insulating performance: By all accounts read on this forum, Bluepad wins.

No trees and icy ground?
    this was my thinking for a while too, and still a great recommendation for budget conscious hangers. Pads can work. A little tweaking, perhaps, to get good coverage on your shoulders, but possible. My first winter in a hammock I only had pads, and it worked okay, but two pads, or a CCF pad and an inflatable one, worked best for me when it was cold. That said, I hardly ever use a pad as my primary insulation any more with an under quilt.

Weight is a bit misleading unless you compare apples to apples. A lot of people who use under quilts also use top quilts instead of full sleeping bags, so the weight often equals out.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast