Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Clark NX-250,Original Hennessy,WBBB
    Tarp
    HammockGear Cuben
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RootCause View Post
    Permethrin has been covered extensively on this forum, the archives have some great info.

SUMMARY:
    1- DEET is safe for use on human skin, and acts as a mosquito repellent.
    2- Permethrin is NOT used on skin, is used (in this context) to soak into fabric and remain in the threads. Permethrin is not a repellent- it is an insecticide, lethal to mosquitoes & ticks but harmless to us vertebrates when it is dry.

I've never been bitten through even my single-layer hammocks.....
    The Sawyer web page calls Permethrin a repellent AND an insecticide...
    http://www.sawyer.com/permethrin.htm
    I gotta find me some of this. :-)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rodwolfy View Post
    Billybob58, you said that it will last "for weeks". Does that mean that every couple of months I'll need to re-treat the hammocks with it? By the way, where would I get it and how much will it cost?

Is there anything that treating the hammock with Permethrin will do that wouldn't happen without treatment? My understanding is that the bugs are not biting thru the bottom of the hammocks. What would be the advantage? Does it kill like black flies if they get inside the WBBB and land on the fabric?
    Yes, you will have to re-treat clothing or whatever you treat. I think Sawyer's claims 6 weeks and 6 washings? I think exposure to air causes breakdown. Supposedly it will last longer if you keep things stored in garbage sack in between use, rather than fully exposed to air. I have done this sometimes, but I don't know if that will get you more than 6 weeks.

From Scott's link in previous post:
    By storing the treated clothing in black plastic bags between uses the protection can be extended considerably.
    I usually spray my hiking clothes 2 or 3 times per bug season. I do not always spray my hammock, as I sleep in my hiking clothes anyway plus usually have some 15-20% Picaridin on exposed skin, so the bugs don't seem to come near me anyway. But when car camping or in the backyard, I often am not wearing the treated clothing, then the treated hammock comes in quite handy.

For that matter, Permethrin sprayed in my backyard comes in very handy.

Hammock
    switchback, wbbb, clark ul
    Tarp
    oes standard/ultra
    Insulation
    jrb uq/ leighlo tq
    Suspension
    diy whoopiesling
    i spray my gerar every season with permethrin, i get it from my army surplus store, then i stuff everything in a trashbag for a few hours to let it really absorb into the fabric,
    as for deet , i have seen it burn a hole in nylon, but that was sprayed directly on it, i imagine after a while it would affect the hammock if you dowse yourself in it,
    i use lemon eucalyptus spray from "repel" , not as affective as 100% deet but it does'nt eat nylon either

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by finskie View Post
    No, that's PA! I challenge anyone to travel the length of the PA turnpike from April to October, and not hit construction. I also found out that MN state police can clock you while traveling in the opposite direction
    this is so true... it's not even funny
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    HH-HBPA,2QZQ-Mod2L
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx Spinn
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & TiGoat
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64" UCR's
    Images
    difference between permethrin and deet?
    Deet hides the CO2 signature let off by breath and skin of us warm blooded types. It kills fabrics, but not bugs (unless you really douse one good). It is should be kept away from the face and mucus membranes and needs to be reapplied often.

Permithrin is neurotoxic to most bugs. It coats fabrics well with little if any effect structurally and remains on the fabrics for 6-10 wash cycles. Enzymes in human skin render Permithrin intert in pretty short time when it is applied directly to our body surface, so its ussually not too effective at keeping them away. Keep the stuff away from cats though. It does not like them at all!

I've found that bugs will still land on me with since I started using permithrin, but aren't confortable staying there a while to make a real meal out of me. Trips are a lot more pleasant not worrying about getting deet on equipment, not tasting deet every time someone pulls out a can and not having to reapply bug sprays 10 times day and night.

Take it for what you think it's worth. Just a few thoughts from the swamps and marshes of south Louisiana...

HYOH,

H4x
    H4x
    SM TR49, SR-875 "A boy learns integrity through his eyes, ears and hands."

"You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins, as quoted by Frodo The Fellowship of the Ring

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Permethrin as an insecticide is VERY helpful at keep ticks off during their late spring and early summer active season. Lyme Disease is no joke and can debilitate or even kill you, and it's tough to get a good diagnosis early in its progress. Prevention for me = permethrin on clothing...and hammock too if you're a bit paranoid.

The icing on the cake is that mosquitoes and gnats find me far less interesting when wearing Permethrin treated clothing. Though it's not a repellent, they tend not to bother me or bite me when I'm wearing treated clothes.

Exposed skin, however, may still need DEET or other insect repellent (think shorts or short sleeves). I like the 3M product (Ultrathon), also sold by AMWAY under a different product name. It's cream based and about 30% deet concentration.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Good info! Does permethrin work on mosquitos too? What about black flies? Out here in the Cascades, we get swarms of black flies on the trails by mid summer. They are almost worse than the mosquitos.

I like what you guys are explaining, I was just worried that if I soak my WBBBs in it, then lay in it, it will migrate into my bloodstream. I keep hearing about how all the insecticides that we use in our food production system are causing cancers. Your thoughts?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Good info! Does permethrin work on mosquitos too? What about black flies? Out here in the Cascades, we get swarms of black flies on the trails by mid summer. They are almost worse than the mosquitos.

I like what you guys are explaining, I was just worried that if I soak my WBBBs in it, then lay in it, it will migrate into my bloodstream. I keep hearing about how all the insecticides that we use in our food production system are causing cancers. Your thoughts?
    It keeps all skeeters and black flies at bay well. Some worry about the cancer thing. I don't as it seems like limited expose to me. You may feel different.
    There is always the technique of swatting skeeters away. Burning a citronella coil or candle. Campfires help. Smoking a cigar helps me too...but we are back to cancer and stuff. Camp on a windy ridge or lakeshore....the breeze keeps them at bay a great deal. Increase your garlic intake.
    They are out there......get in the hammock quickly and zip.
    They also make bug-free hiking clothing...http://www.orvis.com/store/product.a..._feeds-_-83094
    Also electronic devices....http://www.amazon.com/Schawbel-Corpo.../dp/B000G9WKE4
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Sounds like I need to get me some.

Hammock
    Half-Wit/Dangerbird, Darien..
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling

Talking New Idea

Try putting listerine in a small spray container. Just a small amount of spray works good.
    Last edited by Greenman; 06-19-2011 at 00:36. Reason: better wording.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast