Hammock
    Hennessy (with mods)
    Tarp
    standard HH
    Insulation
    working on it
    Suspension
    standard (for now)
    If you were to sit the tarp on the hammock ridge line, you would not need a tarp ridge line any longer than the hammock ridge line. However, as you raise the tarp above the hammock ridge line, you get a gap that would allow rain to get into the hammock. Also, as others have said, it is a comfort thing. If I wanted to get out of my hammock and move around a little or maybe cook a meal without getting wet, I would prefer a little more room.

Dave E

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Grass skirt
    I've had a 3m hammock covered by a 3m tarp in heavy rain quite a bit. The ridgeline of the hammock is probably closer to 2m in length, but I never had any problems.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    One of the things that I've found that I have problems with is when I have to set up in the rain. Normally, I'll set up my hammock first then put the tarp over it. Piece of cake in this situation with getting the tarp centered over my hammock. But when it's raining, I'm not talking sprinkling, I'm talking those big fat rain drops that splat.... When it's raining, I have to set the tarp up first then do my best in trying to keep my hammock dry, off the ground and centered under the tarp while I also try to stay under the tarp. I found that in perfect conditions in my backyard, that I still had problems setting up my HH with the HH tarp. I've also found I can set up my homemade huge tarp anywhere under just about any conditions (barring gale force winds) and then set up any of my hammocks under it and not get wet. If it's a bit off-centered, it doesn't make any difference cause my hammock is still dry in the morning. And I've found that being off center is actually usefull because I'll hang my pack on the hammock side with more tarp overhang.

These are just my observations with my homemade tarp (about 11'x11' cat. cut) and the reg sized HH tarp and the XL Clark tarp. Oh, one thing about the Clark tarp, I've never gotten wet in my hammock with it. But when it's in storm mode, I feel like a taco. There's no extra space to hang my backpack to keep it dry.

TinaLouise

Images
    Thanks for all the info.

Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    One of the things that I've found that I have problems with is when I have to set up in the rain. Normally, I'll set up my hammock first then put the tarp over it. Piece of cake in this situation with getting the tarp centered over my hammock. But when it's raining, I'm not talking sprinkling, I'm talking those big fat rain drops that splat.... When it's raining, I have to set the tarp up first then do my best in trying to keep my hammock dry, off the ground and centered under the tarp while I also try to stay under the tarp. I found that in perfect conditions in my backyard, that I still had problems setting up my HH with the HH tarp. I've also found I can set up my homemade huge tarp anywhere under just about any conditions (barring gale force winds) and then set up any of my hammocks under it and not get wet. If it's a bit off-centered, it doesn't make any difference cause my hammock is still dry in the morning. And I've found that being off center is actually usefull because I'll hang my pack on the hammock side with more tarp overhang.

These are just my observations with my homemade tarp (about 11'x11' cat. cut) and the reg sized HH tarp and the XL Clark tarp. Oh, one thing about the Clark tarp, I've never gotten wet in my hammock with it. But when it's in storm mode, I feel like a taco. There's no extra space to hang my backpack to keep it dry.

TinaLouise
    What is the size of your biggest hammock?

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I have made an 11 foot hammock work with an 11 foot tarp but the tolerance is tighter than I really like.Fortunately the tarp has doors.I take a 10 footer in the summer when I use my doorless tarp though.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    For me, the tarp width is more important. I use a 9 foot hammock and usually a 10 foot tarp. Depending on my tree distance, I often break the 30 degree rule on my hammock tree straps. Sometimes they are closer to 40 degrees. So, if I am using an 11 foot tarp, I have to set it up a LOT higher than my hammock just to clear the hammock straps on the ends. The end coverage is adequate, but the side coverage is pretty slim. I have had to get creative to stay dry from wind-driven rain from the sides.
    I usually try to hang from trees about 11 feet apart or even a bit less, but 11 feet gives me a near 30 degree angle on my hammock straps and great side and end coverage. I also like hammocks with less stretch for the same reason; less hammock sag means a bit more coverage. If I use a wide tarp (10 foot wide), then an 11 foot tarp is sweet.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12