Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY down,synthetic
    Suspension
    some straps?

How to install zipper on a HH - instructions?

Hello all, first post here on the forums. I have spent some time searching the forums and the rest of the internet but have had no luck finding a good instruction on how to install a zipper on a Hennessy Backpacker Asym. I bought a zipper and two sliders and want to install along one side only - like the 2QZQ #3 mod, I believe.
    I have made some gear already, but none with zippers. I am just wondering if there is anything I need to consider/know before I start ripping my hammock up and reattaching things. If you've done this already and can share some insight it is much appreciated! If anyone knows of instructions and can post a link, that would be great as well.

On an unrelated note, I got materials in the mail the other day from OWF to make my first underquilt (0.9 oz nylon, Climashield). I've made both a synthetic and down top quilts already, so I'm just going to wing it. I'll put up some pictures when it's finished.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    If i remember right - it may be best to add the zipper a few inches below the netting. Adding it right at the netting might cause undue stress and damage.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...d.php?p=374068
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Ultralite zip mod
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Winter Nest
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I used a stitch ripper and unpicked mine rather than cut it, except for the small section across the tie out points where I cut it across to keep the curve of the zip smooth, and stop undue stress on it when using the tie outs.
    After unpicking it I sewed the black edging tape back on the hammock, and then sewed the the zip to that, the other side went straight on the netting. I did two rows of stitching for both bits for extra strength.
    I've had no problems with stress on either the zip or the hammock, just the stress of unpicking my beloved hammock
    I put two full length zips on each side, so when I'm not using it I just kind of roll it around the ridgeline.
    It was scary stuff to start with but I'm really pleased with how it turned out, and it's made the whole experience for me so much better, I like having the option
    Good luck

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY down,synthetic
    Suspension
    some straps?
    Thanks for the replies. Scotchbonnet, when you installed your zipper, how far up along the seam did you replace? Specifically, did you rip the seam above the bartacks (yellow box in the picture) and all the way to the end of the netting?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Winter Nest
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I didn't cut through the 'across' stitches that join the two sides together, just up to them and crossed the two ends of the zips one above the other and just sort of tucked the two ends of the zips under the still joined bit of the hammock (the bit in your yellow box) and hand stitched them to stop them pulling out.
    It means I can't completely remove the net but when it's rolled around the ridgeline it's out of the way, and the whole thing cost me about £5 (about $9 I think) for 10m of continuous zip with pulls from ebay
    I'll have a read through the FAQs and try to get some pics up

Hammock
    DIY , HHASYM
    Tarp
    DIY, HH hex
    Insulation
    DIY CLMSHLD, POD
    Suspension
    whoopie
    I used an old zipper from a tent door.. I measured 6" below the net and just centered it on the hammock body. Made one cut after carefully measuring length. Hemmed both sides and sewed on the zipper taking care to close the ends in. I cut the hole about 3" shorter than Max zipper length to allow room to close it up at the end (1-1/2" on each side) so the pulls don't run off the zipper. On my FIRST HH I installed along the netting and it put lots of stress on the netting along the ridgeline.. mostly when exit /enter. In fact I'm getting small holes where it catches on the ridgeline accessory hooks.
    Here is a link: I don't know how to post a pic from my Droid
    https://picasaweb.google.com/m/viewe...12145322831362

Hammock
    diy DL HH explorer asym w/shelf
    Tarp
    jrb hex spinn
    Insulation
    winter crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopies/toggles
    Hey Man keep it simple...
    I drew a line (dressmaker's chalk) about 1" to 2" below the netting (my cut line) then I added reference marks about every foot (perpendicular marks on the cut line to help align the zipper when sewing) then did the cut, sewed the first side of the zipper putting the zipper up-side down to what you want the finished product to be (this way the cut edges will already be hemmed (or kind of), transferred the reference marks on the other side of the zipper then sewed then other side the same way I did the first side
    for the end you have a few choices, either enclose the ends in fabric and sew to the hammock body, (make a "y" cut at the end of the cut line, so you can fold the end inwards for a nicer finish) or leave bare inside the hammock, remember to leave about an inch inside so you can always replace the sliders, to lock the zipper closed, stitch over the folded end of the "y" a few times when doing the over stitch!!!
    I'll try to post pics after work tonight
    Last edited by fred1diver; 06-17-2011 at 05:10. Reason: forgot details

Hammock
    DIY , HHASYM
    Tarp
    DIY, HH hex
    Insulation
    DIY CLMSHLD, POD
    Suspension
    whoopie
    I like it much better below the seam. It allows you to lounge and the netting is held away from you by the shock cord. When the zipper is at the seam, the net gets in the way. ZQ&2Q get the thanks on that as I coppied from them

Hammock
    DIY , HHASYM
    Tarp
    DIY, HH hex
    Insulation
    DIY CLMSHLD, POD
    Suspension
    whoopie
    I tried.to keep it simple ... I used my daughter's white crayon for the line and her 12" ruler and marked dashes @6" down the lenght of my hammock

Thank God for technology .. I'm at work now. Can't get near the CPU @ home... kids
    Last edited by lattie11581; 06-17-2011 at 05:42. Reason: p.s.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Winter Nest
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    the stitching is a bit wobbly but I can live with that, it's not perfect but then again neither am I
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast