Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Anyone heard of these tarps?

I'm living in Japan and need a tarp for my WBBB 1.1dl.
    I want to buy some cheap rain protection until I get more experience and learn exactly what my needs are. I'm making a trip up to Hokkaido in about a month and I'm trying to avoid shipping fees by buying inside Japan.

Here are some (relatively) low cost ones I've found. They all include steel poles, but obviously I will be ditching those. The weights listed include the poles so the site info isn't of much use. I couldn't find any reviews/information on these brand names. Sorry but all the text is in Japanese- I'll put the spec info below the links:

Rakuten
    Amazon1
    Amazon2

Rakuten: W440xL440xH220. Polyester.
    Amazon1:W430×L350×H200cm. Polyester. 1000mm water resistance. Weight (with poles) 2.8kg
    Amazon2:400cmx420cm. Polyester

Since my blackbird hasn't shipped yet, if these are all bad options, I can still add a tarp to my order there (and combine shipping). I was considering the MJ or asym-diag but am trying to save a bit of money by choosing one of the above.

Thanks!

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistolen08 View Post

Rakuten: W440xL440xH220. Polyester.
    Amazon1:W430×L350×H200cm. Polyester. 1000mm water resistance. Weight (with poles) 2.8kg
    Amazon2:400cmx420cm. Polyester

Since my blackbird hasn't shipped yet, if these are all bad options, I can still add a tarp to my order there (and combine shipping). I was considering the MJ or asym-diag but am trying to save a bit of money by choosing one of the above.

Thanks!
    Those tarp options are, in my opinion, too big to be practical for hammock hanging use. The 440 cm ones are over 14' in length. Ideally you would want to find a tarp that is 3.3m long by 3.0 meters wide (11'x10'). This would be more suited to hammock use and is the size of most tarps that are made by the hammock gear vendors here.

As for material, any polyurethane coated nylon or polyester will get the job done. If you're car camping mostly, these tarps will be fine at the trade off of weight and bulk.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    +1 on 330 ridgeline length. SHould be plenty long enough. The Hennessy hex is 365 length (which I have) and is more tham long enough to cover my hammock.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    One day, you will wish you had bought the Mambajamba. You might as well get combined shipping.

Thanks everyone for the replies! I guess I might as well bite the bullet and get a proper silnylon fly. I'll be strictly backpacking so the weight would be an issue in the long run.

I was considering a MacCat but I should probably stick with WB to save on shipping. Its looking like a Mamajamba for me then!

Are there any miscellaneous parts that I'll need to get it all rigged up once I have the WBBB and Mamajamba? I imagine it should all be included (maybe minus some stakes?). There aren't many outdoors shops around here so it might take some searching.

Thanks again!

Hammock
    Eno, HH, DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies
    The Superfly is a pretty awesome tarp, in my opinion...I use it for one or two people, and in a number of configurations. My next tarp will be a similar tarp in Cuben...

Thanks for the links in Japan, very interesting. I have bought from Rakutan...it is the Japan equivalent of Ebay...

Hey!

Glad to see another 外人 in these parts!
    I went ahead and ordered the mamajamba w/panel pulls in camo. Besides the price tag I think I'll be very happy with it.

Where have you gone hanging in Japan? I'll be making stops around fujisan and Nikko before getting up to Hokkaido this summer.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl; Nano 7
    Tarp
    Flat 8x10
    Insulation
    Yeti; CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistolen08 View Post
    ......Are there any miscellaneous parts that I'll need to get it all rigged up once I have the WBBB and Mamajamba? I imagine it should all be included (maybe minus some stakes?). There aren't many outdoors shops around here so it might take some searching.

Thanks again!
    You will need to get more than just the stakes. The tarp will not come with anything unless you also bought the line to make the ridgeline and tie-out/guylines. Oh and as for the WBBB you will need climbing grade carabinbers or the equivalent like Dutch biners, etc. for the tree straps.

KP

Ok, thanks for the advice.
    I ordered a set of carabiners from WB. They were out of stock on guylines, so I'll try to grab something similar here.

I'll go and do a test rig when I get it and take care of anything else then.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I think you made a smart decision especially since it'll be for backapcking. Down the road you probably would have gotten another, lighter weight tarp and then you would have spent more in the long run. Have fun!
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast