Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    You are partly incorrect.....per the HH website, the Explorer XL and Deep Jungle XL are the exact same dimensions. The DJ XL is simply an Explorer XL with a double bottom.
    Actually, the DJ has a different fabric- quite different. At least dif than the Explo UL. I think it is the same fabric as a Hyperlight, maybe. I really like that fabric too! Also, it seems to me that the DJ hangs a bit lower under the ridge line than does the Explorer UL. So I guess a little more sag if the hammocks indeed have the exact same size fabric as the HH site says. But I think they are both very comfortable hammocks and very similar other than the double layer and the fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by Broomstickize View Post
    Not sure about the dimensions but I can +1 the DH XL. I'm 6'4" and about 220lb - still plenty of room for me and kit to roll around in there!
    Love the DJ XL! Still love the Explo UL too!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Winter Dream 12
    Insulation
    WL 20degree UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/cinch buckl
    Quote Originally Posted by T-BACK View Post
    At 6'4" and 260#s, wide shoulders and all, I used a HHAE for two and a half years (2003-2005). I was very comfortable in the hammock. The reason I got away from it was that it did not offer enough bug protection for me here in Florida as a single layered bed. Also, I hate the non opening bug net and quickly replaced mine with full zippers. It would be great if you could try one before making a decision because fit is very personal quality. If no one near you has one you can try (not just laying in one at a store) I could send you mine to try out. I have been using it as a test bed for several ideas over the years and the netting has been completely removed but you are welcome to try it for fit. As far as weight limits (I don't know if that is a concern or not for you) don't sweat it. HH are way overbuilt for strength. If you do decide to get one no matter the model, you can save quite a bit of weight by changing out the suspension ropes and straps. Don't be afraid to remove the end caps and replace that mongo rope with Amsteel. The knot is super easy to reproduce.

Thank you for the offer and advice. I am going ahead with the used Expedition deal. I am 6'2, 180 lbs. so I am, close enough to the height specs to make it work. If I don't like it, I'm sure I can sell it easily and move into something different.

The hammock's owner says he carried it all over the world for six months, but only actually used it about four times. It looks good in the pics, and the only visible flaw is an abraded spot on the storage sack. I should have it in a few days, and I will post back here once I have a chance to try it out.

Hammock
    None
    Tarp
    None
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    None
    Images
    I just got the expedition for fathers day and used it on a trip this past weekend. I am 6'2" and 215 and I slept like a rock and was more than comfortable. Everyone has there own degree of comfort, but that is just my 2 cents.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericasHammock View Post
    I just got the expedition for fathers day and used it on a trip this past weekend. I am 6'2" and 215 and I slept like a rock and was more than comfortable. Everyone has there own degree of comfort, but that is just my 2 cents.
    That is great to hear, AH! It is clear that some folks that are near or a bit over the recommended height limits can do just fine. I'm curious: did you sleep just on your back, or on your side also?

If on your side, was that with legs straight or fetal only?

If on your back only, did you have any issues with left calf pressure or knee hyper-extension? ( apparently not if you slept like a rock! )

Maybe I could get by with a shorter hammock and save some weight? I've never had anything but the longer hammocks. ( I am 6'1", 215 lbs )

Hammock
    None
    Tarp
    None
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    None
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    That is great to hear, AH! It is clear that some folks that are near or a bit over the recommended height limits can do just fine. I'm curious: did you sleep just on your back, or on your side also?

If on your side, was that with legs straight or fetal only?

If on your back only, did you have any issues with left calf pressure or knee hyper-extension? ( apparently not if you slept like a rock! )

Maybe I could get by with a shorter hammock and save some weight? I've never had anything but the longer hammocks. ( I am 6'1", 215 lbs )
    I slept mostly on my side both fetal and with my legs straight out with no issues at all. The first night I did fall asleep on my back trying to get the hang of things since it was my first night using it and didn't have problems there either. As long as I stayed diagonal it was fine. Again this was only my first time using it and I used it for two nights, but I am comfortable enough with it that I am going to carry it on the 133 mile northville-lake placid trail in a couple of weeks. The only things I had problems with were the tree huggers, it did nothing but rain all weekend and they stretched a little through the night. I plan on using it much more between now and when I leave for the trail so if anything does come up I will be sure to post and let you know.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123