Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Hammock
    Byer Moskito Traveller
    Tarp
    Coleman Hybrid
    Suspension
    Byer MicroRope
    Images
    Hi, I use a Moskito hammock and like it quite a bit. Very comfortable once you realize as SilvrSurf did that it has to be hung with a deep dip in the center. First time I hung mine, it was not correct, but after that it has been great. A ridge line would really make this easier but I have been able to find trees close enough in the backcountry. As far as insulation, you absolutely need it under you. You compress your sleeping bag when your are on it and essentially, the bottom insulation does nothing. I use a ridge rest in mine and have been comfortable down to 28 F.

Hammock
    Byers mosq trav, tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Eno Hotspot, pluq
    Suspension
    huggers, Byers

Hangin' low

Too much of an angle to lie down, but pretty comfortable to sit in while straddling. I connected to one tree, the trunk on one side and a branch on the other.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by toddhunter; 05-15-2012 at 14:30. Reason: typo

Hammock
    TW jungle camo
    Tarp
    Erätoveri
    Insulation
    AMK heatsheets biv
    Suspension
    TW std, & pcord
    http://bambuser.com/v/2842742

My Amazonas moskito hammock ,first hung this summer.
    I like: my 50 cc scooter, pizza, cola.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    HB Sky Tent 2
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equip
    Suspension
    BOM Micro Rope
    I am planning to review this hammock in the future. Stay tuned to my YouTube Channel for the review.

Hammock
    Byers mosq trav, tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Eno Hotspot, pluq
    Suspension
    huggers, Byers
    I'm planning to "review" it next week in the Boundary Waters. Wish me luck!

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    I purchased one in a recent REI yardsale, $20 with a couple of holes in the bugnet. The only other hammock I have is a tablecloth (60"x126"), vs. the MT which is 134" to the rings, and 54" wide. The MT is many times more comfortable than the tablecloth whether set is as gathered end thru newly sewn end channels or folded & whipped. The MT has a very flat lay and many time more comfortable than the table cloth when side sleeping.

Has anyone changed out the "web of strings" with a more water resistant material? I was thinking zingit or lashit with fixed eyes? This would eliminate 1/2 of the lines between the hammock and the eye. I plan to order some lashit and a couple of SMC rings and give it a try since I am genuinely impressed with the cheap hammock's lay.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtwheels View Post
    I purchased one in a recent REI yardsale, $20 with a couple of holes in the bugnet. The only other hammock I have is a tablecloth (60"x126"), vs. the MT which is 134" to the rings, and 54" wide. The MT is many times more comfortable than the tablecloth whether set is as gathered end thru newly sewn end channels or folded & whipped. The MT has a very flat lay and many time more comfortable than the table cloth when side sleeping.

Has anyone changed out the "web of strings" with a more water resistant material? I was thinking zingit or lashit with fixed eyes? This would eliminate 1/2 of the lines between the hammock and the eye. I plan to order some lashit and a couple of SMC rings and give it a try since I am genuinely impressed with the cheap hammock's lay.
    You're messing with disaster by removing the web of strings - I haven't heard any success stories. You may as well buy some ripstop nylon and make your own hammock, 'cause once you cut the strings off that's pretty much all you'll have left - that some bugnet fabric you might be able to reuse.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images

What could possibly go wrong...

Flirting with disaster.....loved that tune! Well anyways, last night I made myself 10 mini-whoppies from mason line:

1) the fixed loop was made around to the hammock body without removing the existing suspension, thoughts of disaster and all

2) attached the adjustable ends to a carabiner, the mini whoppie has enough adjustment to extend the existing length by 12" and shorten by 6".

3) hung the hammock in place snugged the whoopies and all seemed well. It supported my weight, and just needed fine tuning with the whoopies. I was not up for that challenge last night so I slept on the MT using the stock suspension.

I am comfortable the proof of concept is sound, and think I'll order lashit to complete the project. The stock suspension seems to stretch and boy does it hold water! I think the lashit will not absorb water so if it were to get wet you could snap the suspension which would remove the majority of water held between the fibers, which is what seems to take place with the amsteel I've used. And there are now 10 strands as opposed to 20, that's gotta mean less tangles! And since lashit is spliceable, I'm thinking a few horizontal runs thru the vertical should yield a spider web like structure and basically eliminate tangles and save weight! Now I just have to decide how to deal with the ring, which I am leaning toward an SMC ring but a carabiner has real appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    You're messing with disaster by removing the web of strings - I haven't heard any success stories. You may as well buy some ripstop nylon and make your own hammock, 'cause once you cut the strings off that's pretty much all you'll have left - that some bugnet fabric you might be able to reuse.
    Last edited by dirtwheels; 07-30-2012 at 07:05.

*bump*

Def following this one. I wanna see your results dirtwheels, cause if it works, it sounds like a nice solution to a few of the problems in the stock suspension... Pics would be great too... Thanks all...

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Personally, I just can't see spending any time or money pimping a $20 hammock. I'll bet the Lash-It mods, carabiner and ring will cost more than the hammock. It's like pimping a Ford Pinto - no matter what you do to it, it's still gonna be a Pinto.

I've never gotten the stock suspension wet - it's never outside the tarp to find out how much water it holds. My solution to a soggy suspension would be a bigger tarp - don't let the suspension get wet in the first place.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast