Hammock
    Clark TX 250
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    Thanks for the pix. They're quite educational. I never considered hanging length-wise on the bridge beams. Always thought of hanging sideways, beam-to-beam. Most bridges around here are I-beam constructed, so maybe a coupla C-clamps will work. Yeah, now I can be a gen-you-wine Bridge Bum! Gonna hafta try out your system this weekend. That just shines! Hope the homeless folks aren't too unfriendly.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Suspension
    SlackStraps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ice man View Post
    Thanks for the pix. They're quite educational. I never considered hanging length-wise on the bridge beams. Always thought of hanging sideways, beam-to-beam. Most bridges around here are I-beam constructed, so maybe a coupla C-clamps will work. Yeah, now I can be a gen-you-wine Bridge Bum! Gonna hafta try out your system this weekend. That just shines! Hope the homeless folks aren't too unfriendly.

I had noticed them awhile back as a possible hang spot and after a bit of searching for a safe(ish) area I came across these beams. I was in the immediate DePaul area which is a pretty nice part of Chicago due to the rather high tuition costs and historically renovated buildings. A bit loud but definitely would love to hang it on a bridge (make sure its not a drawbridge!) If I had enough money I would hang out and hand out Doublenests to every homeless person in the city

I use the ENO Slapstrap Pro suspension and as it being my first few steps into hammocking I have found the user friendliness and versatility are incredible. Seems you can hang a hammock anywhere, i will surely post more pictures as I make my way around the city!

Funny how you look at everything differently when you mentally place a hammock into the equation

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Suspension
    SlackStraps
    Images
    Here is my usual spot, my "home hang" if you will

The model in the picture is Elle, she loves the nest as much as I do!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    How on earth do you nap under train tracks???????????????????????
    When you live in a city for a while you get used to all the noises and rumbles. I used to live in Newark, NJ, constant airplane noise, train noise, and three major highway noises. Ya get used to it ya know.

I would be worried I would get mugged...

I am visiting my folks in NJ right now, and there are no trees to hang from in the backyard....kind of depressing and a far cry from my country house in rural Maine.

Cute dog btw!
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images
    Good for you for making a home where you are. I don't know that I could survive it.
    And thank you for making me realize, once again, how blessed I am to live where we have trees and sky and water and green all around and alligators and lots of bugs and wierd birds and no snow and no state income tax and a nutjob for a governor but lots o' sunshine and trees. I guess God knew that some of us just don't have what it takes to live up there in the northern hinterlands so he had to make it easier for us.
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

Hammock
    Clark TX 250
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    Tried what I'll refer to as the bridge bum set-up early this morning. Neat trick. Kinda gave me a start when one of the C-clamps shifted, tho. This particular bridge was not really a good spot for sleeping, 30 ft from a jogging/bycycle trail and less than a hundered yards from train tracks that handles 75 trains per day. The skateboard park half a block away would be cause for concern on an overniter, due to the influx of juvenile delinquents hiding under that particular bridge to get buzzed up. The joggers just ignored me, prob'ly thinking it was a homeless guy. The main concern was finding a bridge easy to walk to for a test run. Verdict: Yeah! Dang fine Idea! Thanks for sharing it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    I tell ya, if I was a homeless guy - well, I wouldn't be a homeless guy...my HH would be my home! Just need a larger tarp and I would be all set.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Tried what I'll refer to as the bridge bum set-up early this morning. Neat trick. Kinda gave me a start when one of the C-clamps shifted, tho.
    If you can hang from the top of the clamp, it will self-tighten. In theory.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 Dbl & BBO
    Tarp
    WB Big Mambajama
    Insulation
    Minicel pad & SBag
    Suspension
    Warbonnet stock
    The first time I ever hung a hammock was about 30 years ago. I had one of those nylon string fishnet "backpacking" hammocks that you could get for $9.99.

I strung it up under a railroad trestle crossing a river near the bank. sometime during the night the third or fourth train came by and the friction wore through the suspension (polyurathane cord) and I fell half in the river and half on the bank.

I swore that that was my last hammock - then I saw a Warbonnet 30 years later and here I am - again.
    Steve

You're invited to visit my Blog: www.guideforgeezers.blogspot.com

"I Never knock on Death's Door. I Just ring the bell and run. He hates that"... Methusula

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Suspension
    SlackStraps
    Images
    Tried what I'll refer to as the bridge bum set-up early this morning. Neat trick. Kinda gave me a start when one of the C-clamps shifted, tho. This particular bridge was not really a good spot for sleeping, 30 ft from a jogging/bycycle trail and less than a hundered yards from train tracks that handles 75 trains per day. The skateboard park half a block away would be cause for concern on an overniter, due to the influx of juvenile delinquents hiding under that particular bridge to get buzzed up. The joggers just ignored me, prob'ly thinking it was a homeless guy. The main concern was finding a bridge easy to walk to for a test run. Verdict: Yeah! Dang fine Idea! Thanks for sharing it.

Great to hear! Thanks for the report, I'm glad I was able to spark some inspiration for you

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12