Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

Cheap pillows source for stuffing?

I'd like to simulate the pillows for insulation that constitutes most of the Clark Z-liner system. Call it proof in concept.

So you needn't bother to look at www.junglehammocks.com, Clark hangs a second bottom divided into from 2-6 pockets underneath their hammocks. It climbs the sides, and is sewn with a 2" baffle at the bottom and gathered elastic at the top. 6 pockets covers most of the bottom that would be covered by an 3/4 length underquilt.

Just now, Wal-Mart is selling US-made standard size all-polyester bedding pillows @ $2.50. Dunno that batting can be had cheaper, not even from the same WallyWorld. The pillows are sized well for the Clark pockets, but with way too much loft, about 7". And yes, I know, way too much weight, too, at 15oz each. But, I'll open them and distribute the stuff to one or two other pillow casings. And the weight of the Clark "system" is $179 + shipping. vs $10 for these materials.

This all for trial -- I could use plastic bags or recycle pillow-casings from old ones. If it works, I can make 6-7 lightweight tafetta sacks.

Now a general question on polyester batting sourcing from cheap polyester pillows: Given a choice, do I want for underquilt use, to look for pillows which are firm or soft?

I'd appreciate key-words or URLS or suggested threads on this.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 06-17-2011 at 14:51. Reason: corrected statement about 6 pocket length

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    id say PM bradley and ask him how he made his
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY DWR nylon
    Insulation
    DIY pad
    Suspension
    Depends
    Wait... are you also making an underquilt? with synthetic batting from pillows? It wwould be worth my money to buy flat batting, in a width I could cut to my desired shape, width, length. I am making one now. And you are already making the pillows for the clark? I better look at this thread again tomorrow. I drove 11 hours today.
    An emergency of my own making...is still an emergency.

• + New Posts