Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

linville gorge

i noticed that bird dog mentioned linville gorge in a recent post. that`s a great wilderness area in N.C.
    for those close enough to be interested in linville gorge, there`s a linvillegorge yahoo group.
    not a great amount of traffic on there, but a lot of good info, including maps of unpublished trails.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I'm a whitewater kayaker and the Linville Gorge is one of the most challenging whitewater runs on the entire East Coast. The pictures I've seen of the river are breathtaking. I'm not sure I'm up for tackling the river but I'd sure like to hike it some day.

Here's a link to some info on the gorge. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page there are lots of pictures. The web site is American Whitewater which provides tons of info regarding access points etc to whitewater rivers throughout the country. It's a very good reference for hikers.

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/co...etail/id/1093/

Miguel

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    For those of you who don't know, there's this thing here in NC called the Mountains-To-Sea Trail. Nominally, it goes all the way from GSMNP to the coast, but most of the Eastern portion follows roads and whatnot - not what I'd call a "trail". However, part in the mountains is REALLY nice. I've done a couple of sections.

How does this relate to this thread? The MTST goes through Linville Gorge. I'm thinking about doing that section, plus the adjacent section through Wilson Creek, sometime this spring. I'm shooting for NICE weather, not COLD.

If anyone's interested, let me know. I'm still getting all the details together, but it looks like a pretty easy 5-6 day trip or an intense 3-4 days. That's with my paltry ~ 10 miles/day in terrain.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    I can go on for days about the Gorge. It was my very first backpacking trip many, many years ago. If anyone needs info on the place let me know. Im by no means an expert, but Ive been there more times than I can count.

I never knew that there was a Yahoo group though. thats good info Slow Hike. Im going to have to check that out.

Bishop - Have you seen the MST web site?

BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Yeah, although I haven't looked at it in a while. I found it pretty unhelpful when I checked it out before, though.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    Yeah, although I haven't looked at it in a while. I found it pretty unhelpful when I checked it out before, though.
    Thats how I felt too. I think that it will get better as news about the trail gets out. I know that REI and Blue Ridge Mtn Sports have both sponsored trail work trips to help build and maintain the trail recently. Hopefully my schedule will allow for some work this spring/summer. BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    [QUOTE=blackbishop351;..
    How does this relate to this thread? The MTST goes through Linville Gorge. I'm thinking about doing that section, plus the adjacent section through Wilson Creek, sometime this spring. I'm shooting for NICE weather, not COLD.
    BB... from what parts of the wilson creek area i`ve done, "not cold" would be good.
    i'd say there would be a real good chance of getting your feet (& legs?) wet.
    but i`ve done most of my hikes along the gragg prong & lost cove creeks.
    another favorite place.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    foothills trail in north carolina sc and ga going the 27 and 28 of this month if any body would like to tag along pm me or repley here 3 to 4 of us are going so far 25 miles

• + New Posts