Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    Images
    I know it would max out your budget for a hammock, but you might consider the HH Explorer Deluxe at $199.95. If you order it from Hennessy and specicfy that you want the 70D Hex tarp when you place the order they will substitute it for the stock tarp at no additional cost. Then you would have the larger hammock since you were fairly close to 6' if I remember correctly.

Ragnall

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    @lUIDENT: I used a 30 deg bag at 40eg with the blue pad. No problem, I was comfortably warm. I was wearing sweat pants and sweater and had no problem with sweating. If your bare skin is directly in contact with the CCF pad, then you will almost certainly get sweatiness.

re ridge lines.
    COnfusing isn't it? There are two. One for your tarp, and a so called structural ridge line on the hammock. On the Hennessy, the bug net is held up by the hammock structural ridge line. That line fixes the amount of sag in the hammock from hang to hang. It is set for the "ideal" length, which is 83% of the hammock length. The Hennessy Expedition is 120" long, and the STRL is 103". This gives a flat diagonal lay without that bar like ridge down the centre of the hammock.

Hammock
    Clark NX150, HH DJ Zip XL
    Tarp
    Clark Camo
    Insulation
    TQ UQ By HG 3 seas
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Imho

I own 3 hammocks and a tent. I haven't used the tent in 2 yrs. I paddle the Bdub and ATV as well as hike all over East Central and Northeast MN. Save your money and buy a Clark Jungle Hammock NX 250 or a 150. Go all out and get the Camo. You get what you pay for. It sets up easy and It's warm when you need it to be. Although many will say it costs to much, I think it's worth every penny. That's my 2 cents. http://www.youtube.com/user/Fishpig65?feature=mhee.
    http://www.junglehammock.com/models/nx250/index.php

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnall View Post
    I know it would max out your budget for a hammock, but you might consider the HH Explorer Deluxe at $199.95. If you order it from Hennessy and specicfy that you want the 70D Hex tarp when you place the order they will substitute it for the stock tarp at no additional cost. Then you would have the larger hammock since you were fairly close to 6' if I remember correctly.

Ragnall
    The only issue with the explorer is the weight. My knees aren't amazing, and this is being used for backcountry camping/hiking, so the lighter and smaller packing size the better. I was actually 'considering' going with the ultralite backpacker, but I'm not sure the weight difference is big enough especially when you add the hex tarp. However, it is only $30 more at most, because adding the hex to the expedition brings it to $170, the hex is free for the ultralight substitution...

Also, do the hennessy's come with every cord, ridgeline, etc. so you don't need to buy anything else?
    Last edited by luisdent; 06-24-2011 at 16:12.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by luisdent View Post
    The only issue with the explorer is the weight. My knees aren't amazing, and this is being used for backcountry camping/hiking, so the lighter and smaller packing size the better. I was actually 'considering' going with the ultralite backpacker, but I'm not sure the weight difference is big enough especially when you add the hex tarp...

Also, do the hennessy's come with every cord, ridgeline, etc. so you don't need to buy anything else?
    I agree on the weight. That is why I went for the Explorer Ultralight. I am 6'1 and am very glad I did not go with a smaller hammock.

The 70d Hex tarp is also fairly heavy to me. I didn't even want to add the extra weight of the 30d Hex, hence I am using the stock tarp.

Like I mentioned earlier, I found mine on ebay for cheap. It had all of the lines on it, but was missing the tree huggers. I know the tree huggers do come with the hammock when you get it from Hennessy. If I had it to do over again I would order one of the longer sizes. The 42" tree straps just seem too short. This is also something you can switch out when ordering from Hennessy. The only cord you might need would be for the tarp if you did not want to use the stock method. I tie the tarp directly to the tree rather than use the stock attachments on the hammock suspension, so I did need additional line for this.

The hammock ridgeline is already built in.

I do not believe they come with stakes. I bought the MSR Ground Hogs that I have seen other members recomend on here.

I hope I have helped a little in my rambling.

Ragnall

Images
    That's cool. I'm just under 6'. I definitely want to stick to the lightest gear I can, especially with the knee pain I get on longer hikes. I just try to keep a good cost/weight ratio. It skyrockets very quickly from say $60 or less to over $120 just to save weight. Adding it all up I could save a pound in some gear, but spend $500 doing it. hehe.

So the expedition seems a good compromise or even the backpacker ultralight, but beyond that I can't bring myself to spend more for less weight.

I'm still considering a $7 poly tarp from ****'s sporting goods and adding a bugnet. Would bring my total to about $75. Yeah!

But then I'd have a pound or two more, a less convenient setup and more things to pack that take up more space. So I think it's worth a hennessy style setup. I'm just debating until I can test out a night somehow to see how easy it is to find trees here, test the temperature, etc. Blargh!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Luisdent,

A couple points to ponder. A hammock is often purchased for comfort over weight savings. Don't shortchange yourself by going as light as possible. If you save a pound, but are much more uncomfortable, then it's not worth the savings. You might also thing about re-buying. If you start out cheap, you'll end up spending double in the long run.

The HH or similar that will fit you and have a tarp is worth the investment in the long run. That big blue tarp will definitely weigh double the HH tarp. You'll actually save weight by having an integrated bug net as it only covers the top half, not all the way around the hammock, plus the weight of the hammock. Save weight by switching out the straps for $15 with whoopie slings. Also think about other brands like a WBBB and a less expensive tarp like a separate HH (maybe pick up one here on the forum for cheap)

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=35038

Images
    I keep looking at the cheap options, but once you get a bug netted hammock and add an equivalent tarp, they cost pretty much the same as the hennessy. For instance, the WBBB is $160 plus any decent tarp is over $50. That is more than the hennessy. But the hennessy includes straps, snakeskins and all cords, etc.

That's why I keep coming back to them... Otherwise, I'd just add a bugnet to my hammock and buy the hex tarp for $60 and be around $140. But at that point the extra $ seems worth a hennessy to have everything integrated. It may not be the best hammock (I don't know), but it seems like the overall best value...

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by luisdent View Post
    That's why I keep coming back to them... Otherwise, I'd just add a bugnet to my hammock and buy the hex tarp for $60 and be around $140. But at that point the extra $ seems worth a hennessy to have everything integrated. It may not be the best hammock (I don't know), but it seems like the overall best value...
    Well then, PULL THE TRIGGER! Get the Expedition Asym Zip and the 70d tarp. Order from Hennessy & free snakeskins.

At some point I'm going to get more (like 6 isn't enough). I was looking at the HH Deep Jungle Zip and the Switchback.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rodwolfy View Post
    Well then, PULL THE TRIGGER! Get the Expedition Asym Zip and the 70d tarp. Order from Hennessy & free snakeskins.

At some point I'm going to get more (like 6 isn't enough). I was looking at the HH Deep Jungle Zip and the Switchback.
    I'm dying to, but I'm being bombarded with people here (read: nh) telling me tents are better because the trees are too dense and not many prime hanging situations. I don't want to pump $170 into a setup and find out after the return date that it isn't easy to find hanging spots.

I don't know if this is simply because they are "pro" tenters and want to feel good about using a tent?

I am trying to find a way to use my cheapo hammock to test out a hike, but I need a tarp and bugnet as I got eaten alive hanging outside my house! I just don't want to spend another $25-50 on stuff I won't end up using if I get the hennessy. So I'm in a sort of frustrating situation. I want to go this weekend, but it's all rain here. To make it worse EMS is having a great sale on a sweet tent if I found hanging wasn't optimal in the whites. I'm going to usually be with people, so it's not just finding a site, but finding a site near tenters that worries me.

I might grab a cheap poly tent and use my head bugnet if I could test it tomorrow, I just feel bad using the stuff a lot knowing I'm going to return it...

Anyhow, at this point it is just a matter of me getting out there and doing real world hanging. I think beyond that I've got all the info I wanted for now. So thanks to everyone for the help. I'll keep at it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast