Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst

Any fellow females in Ohio (or anywhere)? I have some questions.

Hi ladies....I've made some wonderful friends already through this forum, but I have some questions for my fellow girls when it comes to hammocking. First and it will be obvious from my questions....I'm a spoiled camper, so this is all new to me.

How do you change your clothes? I'm aware I won't have much in changes of clothes but when you do change are you struggling within your hammock or messing around with your tarp to do this?

What are some other helpful information you are willing to share?
    Last edited by DivaB; 06-18-2011 at 11:02. Reason: Just changed title, doesn't need to be just ohio

Images
    Isn't "Fellow Females" an oxymoron? Even SOME of us guys are modest around those of the fairer sex. During my thru, I carried a very thin DARK colored wrap (think knee length skirt with velcro closure). This allowed me to change and wash clothes in mixed company. I don't see why this wouldn't work for you. Change your pants then velcro the wrap above your shoulders and change your top. This works great in shelters. Of course in the woods you could just hang your tarp at neck level. I used this method a lot to bathe. Just be sure that you are not between the sun and your tarp or you will be giving quite the shadow show.

I know this was a question for the ladies but I thought this might at least give you some ideas to help you make your transition into the woods. It's really not that bad and the rewards are definitely worth it. Good luck to you!
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Well I'm not a female but I have hung with females in group hangs. I think you will find most of the male hangers, associated with this forum atleast, very courteous and respsectful. I think as long as you give a simple heads up that you are changing or need some privacy, they will avert their attention or go for a walk to afford you some time. It's also easy to step to ther side of your tarp and have some privacy. Happy hanging!
    Last edited by HamMike; 06-18-2011 at 11:29. Reason: spelling
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    I promise not to look... had my fingers crossed !

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Well I am not a female but last hang I attended I somehow managed to change completely in the hammock, under the TQ, with the tarp in porch mode hanging about 30ft from the group, haha. It may sound silly but may be worth a shot with a little practice, though I'm sure anyone, especially us ohio hangers would have NO problem leaving the area to give you plenty of space.

Also with bigger tarps, you could take the lines off the stakes and change in between the tarp since it would be hanging most likely atleast to knee length.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl,Hennessy Exped
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    Another guy here... Hey where's the ladies with input?
    Anyway, I used to do a lot of whitewater kayaking. Twice a day there was the struggle of changing without offending or being embarrassed. After a day of paddling I wanted to get out of the cold wet clothes as fast as possible, so didn't worry much about visibility. I usually wrapped a towel around my waist for the worst part.

One lady I met had this big fleece tube she used to change in. She pulled it over her head, the cinched up a draw string around her neck. There was nothing to be seen with that gadget. There's the added benefit of being warm while changing. It was so cool I almost made one for myself.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    On the rare occasion my wife goes with me... I provide her with a tarp with doors. Or she throws a poncho on to change. But.. come to think of it... that may be one reason she doesn't like to go with me. Nah... it's something else... but we won't go there.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

one of the ways I have seen a woman handle this on the AT was that she carried a sun dress that she would put on and then strip off the wet clothes under the dress

Hammock
    GTUL/WBRR
    Tarp
    Ogee/Diy
    Insulation
    HudsonR/EE20/Leilo
    Suspension
    DynaWhoopie/Hugger
    Images
    +1 on the poncho. I am a guy, but that is how I change clothes.
    "If animals could speak the dog would be a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."
    - Mark Twain

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! NO MORE WOOD!"
    - Mancat

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst

Too funny!

Yea...I'd be the moron that would have the sun on the wrong side of the tarp! Thanks for the reply...I actually have velcro wraps, and I hadn't thought about using it for that purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by T-BACK View Post
    Isn't "Fellow Females" an oxymoron? Even SOME of us guys are modest around those of the fairer sex. During my thru, I carried a very thin DARK colored wrap (think knee length skirt with velcro closure). This allowed me to change and wash clothes in mixed company. I don't see why this wouldn't work for you. Change your pants then velcro the wrap above your shoulders and change your top. This works great in shelters. Of course in the woods you could just hang your tarp at neck level. I used this method a lot to bathe. Just be sure that you are not between the sun and your tarp or you will be giving quite the shadow show.

I know this was a question for the ladies but I thought this might at least give you some ideas to help you make your transition into the woods. It's really not that bad and the rewards are definitely worth it. Good luck to you!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast