Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stefprez View Post
    In all honesty, the hype on here about Slap Straps being like bungee cords is quite inflated. I used nylon climbing spec webbing for over a year. Does it stretch a little? Sure. Can you use it just fine anyway? Yes. I never once woke up with my butt on the ground or anything.
    First time I met Hooch was at a Hot Springs hangout. He went to bed early, and his hammock was suspended at a "normal" height. A little while (couple of hours) later as I was walking by, I noticed his hammock was a bit lower to the ground. I thought maybe he got up and adjusted lower. Later that (early) morning he said that he woke up with his posterior on the ground and had to get up and tighten up the suspension. Just a little true story about Hooch's ENO Slap Straps, but YMMV.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    IMO using slap straps with a Clark would be like when Pontiac was putting Chevy engines in their upper end cars. The engine made the car go. But it certainly did not improve the performance.

Slap Straps are fine IF you have an absolutely consistent regular distance for your hang. For example, if you always hang from the same stand or from the same set of trees so you can dial in the sag and the rest of it without having to worry about changing it with every hang. In that case they can be very nice. Quick to unhook and put the hammock away. Quick to re-hook and be set up right.

But on the trail that is usually not possible. In that case they are a pain in the proverbial to set up to your "just right" hang. You are much better off using an "infinitely adjustable" system like ring/cinch buckles or whoopie slings or something along that line.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit NylonD 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Kevlar
    Images
    When I first started hanging, I usually couldn't put my feet on the ground when I sat in the hammock like a chair. Sometimes even a foot away or more. I realize that's a bit higher than most do it, but you more or less compensate for what you've got. I agree though, YMMV.

Hammock
    ENO Pronest w/ Continuous Loop
    Tarp
    OES 4 Season 11x10
    Insulation
    MB Bag, Neo-Air
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by stefprez View Post
    In all honesty, the hype on here about Slap Straps being like bungee cords is quite inflated. I used nylon climbing spec webbing for over a year. Does it stretch a little? Sure. Can you use it just fine anyway? Yes. I never once woke up with my butt on the ground or anything.
    I don't think it's just that the straps are nylon... it's the way they are woven that also contributes to the stretch IMO.

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit NylonD 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Kevlar
    Images
    That is a good point. I'm sure that has some part in the amount of stretch.

Hammock
    ENO Double/HH Ultra Explorer
    Tarp
    OES 4 Season
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    When a used my slapstraps to hang a few weeks ago it rained over night and I ended up an inch from the ground. Not my Fav.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Hey, you got yourself a good (not great) set of Pack leashes for hanging your pack from a tree as you set up camp.

I got a set as a "gag gift" at the Hoosier hang earlier this year. I laughed & laughed.

Used a (different, loaner) set for about 1 hr, ended up about 1' lower than when I started, total length of slap strap used, about 2.5'. I was at work hooked to eye bolts in the wall put there for my hammock.

Welcome to HF, where we will do our best to keep you off the ground.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    1. Is the stretch in the nylon or in the weave, so that the first time it is heavily loaded the weave sets, and after that the stretch is just according to fraction of load?

2. Won't these work fine if the tree permits multiple wraps, or will the load cause the straps to creep during the hang?

3. Even spectra-based rope can creep by amounts that are nothing to hammockers, but which raise havoc in systems not designed to accomodate the smallest amount of slack. That's one reason why there are blends of fibers in ropes.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dl HB noseeum modified
    Tarp
    WB BMJ, HH hex
    Insulation
    winter incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I used slap straps all last year. I liked them for ease of set up compared to all knots. The first time I used them there was quite a bit of stretch but much less after that. I was using a spreader bar type hammock which simplified things. Just hook to the tightest loop I could. I much prefer the cinch buckle setup I use now, however.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    1. Is the stretch in the nylon or in the weave, so that the first time it is heavily loaded the weave sets, and after that the stretch is just according to fraction of load?

2. Won't these work fine if the tree permits multiple wraps, or will the load cause the straps to creep during the hang?

3. Even spectra-based rope can creep by amounts that are nothing to hammockers, but which raise havoc in systems not designed to accomodate the smallest amount of slack. That's one reason why there are blends of fibers in ropes.
    The stretch is in both. Once the weave is stretched it will stay stretched. However nylon has an excellent "memory" and wants to return to it's original size. So the nylon will continue to stretch for quite some time.

the point behind slap straps is to eliminate the need for multiple wraps. The stretch of the nylon is somewhat dependent on the length of the working end so it may help some. But why have to wrap multiple times when a better strap will only need one wrap.

Fibers all react differently and there is little you can do about that. Some fibers co-exist nicely. Some fibers don't play well with others.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast