Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stefprez View Post
    In all honesty, the hype on here about Slap Straps being like bungee cords is quite inflated. I used nylon climbing spec webbing for over a year. Does it stretch a little? Sure. Can you use it just fine anyway? Yes. I never once woke up with my butt on the ground or anything.
    Thanks, stefprez; you find some orthodoxies stifling, too?

To the OP Pre-stretch them. Find a way to find mechanical advantage, some leverage, and get tighten up the weave by heavily loading them, but within their strenght rating.

To RamblinRev: Because he alread has them. Nobody is taking issue with Ed Speer. He shows multiple wraps around trees.

Sure the OP can do better and lighter. We all can.

To Dutch: Maybe they use nylon because across the distribution of failure modes, nylon stretching provides good warning. Put a 280 lb person in a hammock and being lowered to the gound is non-catastrophic notice that he's at the limits of the system. The stretch in nylon fiber is very linear with fraction of rated load, beginning right with away with even small loads. It absorbs shock well, which is better than suddenly ripping of the polyester fabric in the hammock or failure of the cheap metal hardware when beer buddy climbs on or 50lb kid jumps in, too.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250/NX-270/NA/NX-200
    Tarp
    HG 8x10 cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    The only reason why I even got them was because I had seen a lot of videos with people useing them. I only spent $5 and some change on them so its not like Im out a lot of money. Personally I like useing the stock Clark ropes and the drip ring as a quick adjust. I can have everything set up in just a couple of minutes and laying comfortably in my hammock.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    To RamblinRev: Because he alread has them. Nobody is taking issue with Ed Speer. He shows multiple wraps around trees.
    You feel free to use any thing you want based on anyone you want. No never mind to me. But I've got webbing and ring buckle system and have _never_ felt the need for more than a single wrap.

Edit: The reference to Ed Speers got me to thinking. Perhaps some terminology clarification is in order. Slap straps and tree huggers are _NOT_ interchangeable terms. I doubt very much that Ed Speers ever used Slap straps. Tree Huggers are used to protect the tree. They are separate and distinct from the suspension but a part of it. Tree huggers used with other kinds of rope suspensions are often, but not always wrapped more than once. There are good reasons for that and before I went to my webbing suspension I did double wrap the tree huggers when possible.

Slap straps are a product name from ENO and designed to be used with the ENO hammocks.
    While they can be used with other systems, they are made and sold by ENO. They are a length of webbing with single loop at one end. Hook loopsare are attached at various intervals to hook the s-hook on the hammock ends into the loops. The slap straps _are_ the suspension. The interval loops are passed through the folded loop at the end and the whole thing is cinched around the tree.

A webbing/ring buckle or cinch buckle system is a suspension that replaces the tree huggers, like the Slap Straps, but goes to an infinitly adjustable mechanism on the hammock. They are cinched around the tree and a single length of webbing goes down to the hammock. Because they are cinched they need only one wrap in the vast majority of cases.

Treehuggers and Slap Straps are not interchangeable terms.
    Last edited by Ramblinrev; 06-24-2011 at 00:18.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    You feel free to use any thing you want based on anyone you want. No never mind to me. But I got webbing and ring buckle and have _never_ felt the need for more than a single wrap. But what do I know. I'm not you, obviously.
    The OP is laughed at for not getting the bargain in tree straps he thought he did, and told why. Suddenly nobody takes credit for laughing at the naif. Right.

My claim --question, really -- was whether he couldn't constructively use extra length by wrapping it around a tree, and also effectively shorten the quantity of strap which would otherwise stretch and lower him during his hang. Now, I'm curious about cordage or strap behavior, whether it would creep on the tree, or not, because its the kind of question that riggers and others really familiar with the behavior of materials and situations could answer.

What's called for, as some respondents have done, is to suggest best uses of what OP already has. Spending more money, whether a little or a lot on something else, isn't problem solving that stays within the subject of the thread.

Do you recall, Ramblinrev, what Ed Speer preferred to use, or what he did use when he wrapped trees several times to hang hammocks?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Please go back and read my previous post that you quoted. I edited the last section out of there with the understanding it was not very polite. But the added material may address some of your underlying questions.

First of all... he is not using them as suspension anyway... so the question of that use is moot. If you read my previous posts I did suggest the benefits of the slap straps however limited they might be.

I am not familiar with Ed Speers set up and so I can't directly answer that question. The vast majority of people who spend any length of time in hammocks eventually swap out the suspension. Unless they build their own rig and fit it out with what they want. There are a couple of suspensions that are shipped with the more recent cottage industry hammocks which are sold to meet the demands of the modern hammocker without the need to swap it out. The rest of us... pretty much the first thing we do is swap the suspension.

In my opinion the multiple wrapping of the strap would not significantly change the stretch dynamic. That dynamic is linked to the working length of the webbing from the cinch point to the hammock Using a very short distance from the tree to the hammock would but that is not always feasible. They just simply don't work very well.
    Last edited by Ramblinrev; 06-24-2011 at 00:48.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pdcollins6092 View Post
    The only reason why I even got them was because I had seen a lot of videos with people useing them. I only spent $5 and some change on them so its not like Im out a lot of money. Personally I like useing the stock Clark ropes and the drip ring as a quick adjust. I can have everything set up in just a couple of minutes and laying comfortably in my hammock.
    +1 on under-appreciated Clark system.

Totally boring, that system behind exagerated claims by Clark, "special [cheap tri-strand polyprop] rope" etc, etc, etc.

And it works a charm because the size of the aluminum drip rings they chose / found works suits the diameter and stiffness of the rope they chose / found to hold a hitch securely. (Sadly, Clark no longer supplies the rings, which were a $4/pair bargain.)

Very fast system, with only the rings to fuss with or lose.

I changed it out only because it lacks straps to protect trees -- something that could be fixed with the kind of pads you slide over 1/2 webbing of shoulder straps to distribute the load -- and because it wasn't thin dyneema and spare-me-a-knot-whoopies. It is also a little bulky, --3/8" polyprop --line; but in the context of a larger Clark kit, that extra bulk isn't much.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250/NX-270/NA/NX-200
    Tarp
    HG 8x10 cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    (Sadly, Clark no longer supplies the rings, which were a $4/pair bargain.)
    I guess it is just certin models but the drip rings were supplied with my North American at no extra charge.

Hammock
    Homemade asym
    Tarp
    Homemade blackcat
    Insulation
    JRB Hudson River
    Quote Originally Posted by stefprez View Post
    In all honesty, the hype on here about Slap Straps being like bungee cords is quite inflated. I used nylon climbing spec webbing for over a year. Does it stretch a little? Sure. Can you use it just fine anyway? Yes. I never once woke up with my butt on the ground or anything.
    I have. It was weird, I couldn't figure out what was digging into my back.

Funny that you paid more for shipping. I'm sure you'll find some use for them anyways.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123