Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    WBRR, BMBH
    Tarp
    SuperFly, Hard Roc

Portable Hammock Stand

Thanks, I was setting the stand first and then running the lines out to the stakes. Just didn't think to do it the other way. I know it holds because I have got it set before but I was not able to get consistancy out of the set-up
    [

QUOTE=Alamosa;809710]May fit better in the stake boom thread, but a couple of suggestions I would make:

1) I would guess that you want to lengthen your guy-lines. With shorter lines and sharper angles at the connection with the pole, the force on the boom gets much higher and the angle is more pulling up than through the boom to the stake. 45* at the top of the poles is a minimum. 60* is better.

2) Set your booms first and then let the guy-lines establish the position of the pole(s). This will allow you to make sure both lines are equally tight. With a little practice you will be able to set one end, step off to the stake position on the other and end up with the proper spacing.[/QUOTE]

Just a suggestion on getting distance the same each time. Two lengths of cord. One the length between the posts, and one the length from the post to a boom stake. Takes up little space and much more accurate than stepping or eyeballing. Likely time saving as well.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight
    Tarp
    Moss Parawing
    Insulation
    REI Sub-Kilo
    Suspension
    webbing 'n 'biners
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerscout View Post
    I am trying a bipod portable hammock stand using your stake booms. What I am having problems with is if I don't get the same distance on each stake, then one takes more force and pulls out taking the other with it. I have tried to step the distance to each stake but still having problems. Any suggestions?
    While allowing the 2 guy lines to determine bi-pod placement may initially balance load if one stake gives very much at all then all the load will quickly be transferred to the other stake possibly causing it to fail as well.

The best way I've balanced a load is to use a mechanical balancer such as a pulley,(or even a 'biner in a simple setup) at the attachment point to allow one stake to give slightly while splitting the newly excess line through to BOTH points of anchor. In this configuration your single guy-line would be 2x as long as normal and "V" shaped starting at one stake, then through the 'biner/pulley at the poles, and back to the other stake. Each anchor in this arrangement would receive right around 1/4 of the total lateral load.(a good 30 degree hang is critical to keeping the lateral and vertical loads in check)

For the bigger boys(myself included ATM) you'll probably want more than 4 anchors which is where the rigging gets fun. I'm currently building a setup that uses 8 balanced anchors where I'm using a small rigging plate to balance the load between 2 pairs of anchors on each side. The rope goes from a simple "V" pattern to more of a "W" with each of the 4 points having a stake and each of the 2 at the hammock end being fed through the plate transferring the load to each pair independently. the plate gives a little leeway as to the exact placement of the stakes since it will float and rotate(to a point) to evenly distribute the load from the hammock suspension into the lateral anchors.

By distributing the load you can get the load per stake much lower. I'm actually waiting on a scale to be able to measure this force when I rig mine the first time so I can measure the loads on the system while in use.

I will post the results and pics soon here but they will be applicable to both bi-pod and single pole setups.
    “Rivets are the new duct tape.”

Maybe I missed it, but about how much cordage did you use? I just finished making my boom stakes and will starting on getting the uprights cut down to size. I'm going to try cutting grooves and holes then rubber costing the edges to tie my lines to. Although it looks like you just clipped a biner into the top?

Hammock
    HH A-sym snake skins, hex tarp
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    I just started reading this thread but wondered if anyone has considered a pipe footing as an insert and letting the round peice set the angle with concrete nails

A would be a steel knob that would fit as an end cap like we have on tent poles
    B would be at a different angle than C to provide a short offset to allow for short poles.
    Base bar would be longer as now it is round and spread the weight say 1foot or slightly more.
    Drill holes to allow the concrete nails a little wiggle room and the pin on the knob would go all the way thru? Maybe not, might want to keep the strength.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 10-07-2012 at 12:34.
    There was an Old Man with a owl,
    Who continued to bother and howl;
    He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
    Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl
    .WOO

Hammock
    HH A-sym snake skins, hex tarp
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by miboso View Post
    If I can get the poles short enough, this may be just what I need. I use my motorcycle (Suzuki scooter) for transport and need something that will fit across the passenger seat and side bags. 4 1/2 feet may work.
    Partway thru the thread - how about what was suggested (havent tried this but have the two different pole nest inside each other with different diameters and also sleaves so each pole can lock together.. like old fashioned tent poles but one is larger and the other is smaller.. then it can remain six feet.
    There was an Old Man with a owl,
    Who continued to bother and howl;
    He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
    Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl
    .WOO

Hammock
    Kammock Roo, HH Explorer Deluxe Zip
    Tarp
    HeX
    Insulation
    EE 20* TQ & DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dynex Cinch Buckle
    Very nice.

Images

change in plans

I want to say thank you to Alamosa and everyone else who contributes to these posts.

I was out at HD today and purchased materials to make a turtledog stand for car camping and backyard set ups when I came across this post. This simple solution has some benefits over the tripod design that now have me rethinking my direction. I really like the nested configuration for transport as well as the information shared in the stake boom thread.

I may have missed a portion of this post but, has anyone considered using aluminum square stock for the stake extension? I was picturing drilling the 45 degree stake holes being easier and also thinking of drilling a perpendicular hole in the other end to provide an anchor shackle which the slings would be attached to.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut
    Suspension
    Button Suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by HangDenAround View Post
    I may have missed a portion of this post but, has anyone considered using aluminum square stock for the stake extension? I was picturing drilling the 45 degree stake holes being easier and also thinking of drilling a perpendicular hole in the other end to provide an anchor shackle which the slings would be attached to.
    I believe that Alamosa said in the Stake Boom thread that he tried aluminum, but it was not strong enough. I can't remember how it failed, either it bent or the nail deformed the aluminum, I think. I'm sure if you had the right type of aluminum and it was thick enough, it would work.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by HangDenAround View Post
    I want to say thank you to Alamosa and everyone else who contributes to these posts.

I was out at HD today and purchased materials to make a turtledog stand for car camping and backyard set ups when I came across this post. This simple solution has some benefits over the tripod design that now have me rethinking my direction. I really like the nested configuration for transport as well as the information shared in the stake boom thread.

Glad you enjoyed it and hope it helps. I probably have 20 - 30 nights on my stand now and have really enjoyed it.

I haven't tried aluminum yet, but did try some steel square stock that had much thinner walls. As SweetLou said, the tubing ripped out rather easily. That is when I stepped up to the heavier pipe.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast