HH A-sym snake skins, hex tarp
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    I walked into lowes last week in Delaware and they claimed ignorance. I quick hour proved they are right,,,, nothing,,,,

IF you want to go aluminum you need to talk to professional electrician outlets.
    There was an Old Man with a owl,
    Who continued to bother and howl;
    He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
    Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl
    .WOO

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I walked into lowes last week in Delaware and they claimed ignorance. I quick hour proved they are right,,,, nothing,,,,

IF you want to go aluminum you need to talk to professional electrician outlets.
    FYI, I went into our local Lowe's and did find them, but only two of them. As reported, they were on a stand-up rotating rack, and the price was they same or very near.

Hammock
    HH A-sym snake skins, hex tarp
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    Well it was one store. I will try again.
    There was an Old Man with a owl,
    Who continued to bother and howl;
    He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
    Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl
    .WOO

Images

Thank You

Alamosa,

I wanted to say thank you again for the information that you have shared in this post as well as your anchor system design. I have worked on making and successfully hanging in a similar style stand and today I did it!!!

I am going camping this weekend (ITOLS training with the Scouts). If there are no trees around, I will still be off the ground and sleeping in comfort.

I am having trouble posting pictures to the post but did upload them onto the site.

I found some rebar protectors that I used for the feet end of the posts. These worked great to keep the posts from entering the ground.

I also found some rebar stakes with an eye welded to them which I will be able to attach a second anchor using a dog-bone or continuous loop to secure the main anchor.

Regards

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Mt. Washington 3
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Alamosa View Post
    I didn't dig back through to see exactly why I made that comment, but here is the gist of it - you want the stake on the left, not the one on the right.

Make a conscious effect to drive the stake so that the boom is flat with the ground or even slightly raised on the tip. That will make sure the stake is driven all the way into the ground so it provides maximum hold and the tip of the boom is more easily accessed for attaching the guy-line.

Simply put, avoid the stake on the right. Less stake is holding and it is not taking advantage of the angles as well.

This is a huge tip! We had a Camporee this weekend and I set up in the dark. One of my anchors ended up like the one on the right and pulled out. I will pay much more attention to the angle in the future.

Tim
    Tim
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. ~ Douglas Adams

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by HangDenAround View Post
    Alamosa,

I wanted to say thank you again for the information that you have shared in this post as well as your anchor system design. I have worked on making and successfully hanging in a similar style stand and today I did it!!!

I am going camping this weekend (ITOLS training with the Scouts). If there are no trees around, I will still be off the ground and sleeping in comfort.

I am having trouble posting pictures to the post but did upload them onto the site.

I found some rebar protectors that I used for the feet end of the posts. These worked great to keep the posts from entering the ground.

I also found some rebar stakes with an eye welded to them which I will be able to attach a second anchor using a dog-bone or continuous loop to secure the main anchor.

Regards
    HangDenAround, my pleasure on the information and welcome to the forum. I lived in Parker for about 20 years (until 2008). If you run into any of my old pals from Troop 16, say hello for me.

Obmit, glad it helped.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Images

Troop 636

Will do Alamosa. I am actually out of Elizabeth with Troop 636. I will see them at the next roundtable and will let them know you said hi. BTW the site we were at had a few trees so I saved myself some set up time. Glad to have the stand tested and will probably be using it quite a bit. May even use it on the Quinzee hut camping trip coming up in January.

Thank you again!!!

Hammock
    WBBB-XLC Multicam 1.7 double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly w/door
    Insulation
    R-11
    Suspension
    Over the Shoulder
    I guess we can wake this up this morning.

While I was reading this thread it pulled up a idea. Light, low cost (not cheap/free) idea for poles. I wanted to share with guys that I have a few "funny trowel" poles (1 3/4) from my years in the concrete business. I pulled them out last night and put up a portable pole stand up like these in this thread. Cost of the poles are about $40ish dollars for two, they are 68" long and as you can see, they work wonderfully and they are WAY light weight at under two pounds I would guess. Like I said, I was just playing around board and here is what I set up. The poles handled me, 220#s and my lab 80#s so about 300#s in the hammock at the same time.

Here is the link to some poles. This was a quick google search. I bet you can find them dirt cheap on craigslist or with some research.
    http://www.marshalltown.com/Products...&S=213&C=C2123

2012-12-04 09.42.15.jpg

Also,

I did not get the picture of it, because it was dark, but you guys posted a three prong "claw" for an idea of not pulling out of the ground. Depending on ground make up, I did a three foot "claw" last night off the top pole with 9" ground hog nock off stakes and it held fast. for me. I will get a photo this weekend, but thei idea is, put in your two side angle guylines then pull those together with a loop knot and then come off it to another ground stake. This forms a tri-pod and the top of the tri-pod load is shared with the three stakes (or more if you wanted) and the load is on the top of the pole. Basically the "claw" but you make it with your guylines at 3' legs. It took a HUGE amount of stress and load off the two normal stake out idea.

I am taking the wife and the dog fishing this weekend. I will get some pictures of my different set ups with these poles. We have a covered table and the foot print a the lake does not allow us to hang comfortable from the patio poles. Now, I can extend us out to 15' and we can get tarps and the hole 9 yards set up. Hammock City, USA Pictures to follow.
    Last edited by Wildman; 12-04-2012 at 13:12.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    That brings back memories. I haven't had my hands wrapped around a bull float handle for many years.

Hammock
    WBBB-XLC Multicam 1.7 double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly w/door
    Insulation
    R-11
    Suspension
    Over the Shoulder
    its been almost 17 years since I gave it up and I still have custom made calloses that fit concrete hand tools; I finished a many of miles of flat work with a funny trowel

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast