Tarp
    Ghill Gorilla 12
    Insulation
    stratus insul.pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by dxhansen View Post
    Alamosa,

I love your set up and am planning on building one for myself and demonstrating for my scout troop.

You had mentioned having drilled holes at different points to hang the hammock on while leaving the full length in order to put your ridge line for your tarp. Doesn't this significantly weaken the pole? And what are you using to attache your hammock to the pole with?

Can you share some updated photos of your set up? I would love to see a close up of how you are attaching your hammock.
    I would also like some more details on the poles, connections, etc.. I have some chain link fence pole its like 12' was thinking of cutting it in 1/2 and using it instead? thoughts? its pretty strong..

I love this idea but would rather have something that can fit in a duffle bag or backpack. Might be an idea for the cyclists in the group as well. Saw the following clip using two poles per side, but I like Alamosa's one per side version better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paJi...yer_detailpage

As for connecting to the hammock, I simply put a prussik loop around the top of the pole, and then use a separate line with a loop in the end, larkshead it around the loop in the prussik and then through the double decender rings on my hammock. Very simple, adjustable and fast to setup, and no holes for hardware are needed.

Great idea, Alamosa!
    Last edited by jaitch; 08-29-2014 at 16:51.

Hammock
    Yukon w bugnet
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Suspension
    Eno Atlas, Whoopie
    Yeah... I found drilling a 45 in the pipe to be a challenge as well. I ended up appoximating (somewhat badly) where the exit point would be.

I drilled holes top and bottom, and used a step drill from Harbor Freight (You know how this goes... you want one, you just don't know why, and HF makes it cheap. So now you know!) -- to bore out the holes. Not exactly precision fit.. but gets the job done.

Drilling much smaller holes in the pipe is a whole lot easier than trying to drill...say... a 1/2 hole. Trust me on this one.

I did mine for Scouts as well -- took it to 2 campouts and summer camp, only to find a plethora of perfectly acceptable trees! Haven't actually used it yet, but I have it!

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 11"
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    I am having some new and exciting ideas on how to make this work, although it might not be as versatile as far as changing the height at which you hang from on the pole. My idea was to make a webbing "cap" that would fit over the end and have 2 strips of webbing coming off in opposite directions, one for hammock/rainfly lines and one for the tent stake lines. That way you can use a solid (no holes drilled in it) pole and not compromise structural strength. It might help cut down on weight of hardware used as long as you can find a "one size fits all" type of hang height to be used rain or shine. I typically just adjust the angle of my rainfly but I understand that some prefer to hang lower in bad weather.

Hammock
    Canvas when possible
    Tarp
    Camo Rain Fly
    Insulation
    Trees / Spead Bar
    Suspension
    Webbing Based
    If you want the Aluminum 4ft Aluminum poles. If all you need is two to complete your hammock stand or 16 to make a complete stand this is a good place to get them! http://www.militaryfieldgear.com/cborhamraanp.html

Hammock
    Dutchware netted
    Tarp
    Ghill Gorilla 12
    Insulation
    stratus insul.pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Im working on trying to get this setup to use for my jeep events, i generally can always find 1 tree. and if not, i can just use my Jeep! will try and take some pics maybe post once i get it worked out

I was inspired to build a version of this, and have used it successfully one time so far. I haven't been able to fashion the stake booms (yet), and so have just tripled up on 10" canopy-tent stakes; works well so long as the soil is good. I hope to be able to fashion some booms to make it as portable as possible, but this is working for now. My poles are 6.5' total height, to allow for a high-tarp in calm weather. Other observations:

-I drilled several sets of holes for adjustability (5 sets, 6" apart, starting 1.5" from the top); (so far) have not seemed to weaken the conduit enough to matter. Of course, the suspension and guy-lines should be at the same height on the pole to eliminate shear loading.

-Went with dog-bones (7/64, 7' long) for the guys instead of continuous loops; the bottoms of the poles are not going anywhere once the rig is set-up and loaded. I do use a "ridge line" (1.8 mm polyester covered dyneema because that's what I had; isn't really load bearing so doesn't have to be very strong) to connect the two poles to keep it standing though. It also aids in set-up (guy out one pole, stand it up and use the ridge to stake it out while you set up the other end, then connect that end to the ridge as well.)

-In all but the most firm soil, blocking/planking under the poles goes a long way. For the 1", just plugging the end might not be enough.

Thanks Alamosa for the inspiration!

Images
    [QUOTE=Streamline73;1314323]If you want the Aluminum 4ft Aluminum poles. If all you need is two to complete your hammock stand or 16 to make a complete stand this is a good place to get them! http://www.militaryfieldgear.com/cborhamraanp.html

Speaking of which… not really suitable for backpacking, as the poles are 4-ft sections @ 2.2lbs each. More suitable for canoe/kayak camping (winter on the beaches and estuaries) or car camping etc…

I use two tripods with these and 6-9 8-in Ty-Raps per tripod to tie the eyebolts together.

20140914_190615 (1).jpg20140920_011540.jpg

Aluminum 4-ft Military Surplus Poles combined with all-thread rod, flat washers, rod connectors, nuts and eye-bolts.

Two stacked poles are right at 92.5-inches or 7-ft 8-in tall.

The installation is for the eye-bolt/lock-washer/nut/flat washer to be removed from the rod connector, which is then slid into the bottom and the assembly re-connected and torqued down. I used Loctite Red 271 for everything from the rod connector on down. One could always epoxy the washers to the top of the aluminum poles.
    Last edited by joe_guilbeau; 09-20-2014 at 02:12.

Anybody know if using an aluminum painters pole on this will work instead of a fence post or something of that nature?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_2412.jpg

My rustic version
    Rope is attached via icicle knot to 2 foot coated rerod stakes
    75 cents at Home Depot
    Worked amazing at the beach for 2 hours in heaven wind
    Brought nothing but rope 4 24 inch stakes and hammock
    Picked up wood at beach but I don't want to tie this every time lol

• + New Posts
  • Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast