Hammock
    Starting out: Bear Butt
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Pad/Reflectix
    Suspension
    Kodiak Straps
    Found a ground stake that may help that is commercially made.

http://www.deltagroundanchors.co.uk/...oduct_Ordering

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just wanted to say Thank You, to the OP and everyone else who has contributed.
    I have a unique setup; that I have been planning/thinking/fabricating about and many of the challenges I thought I might have to overcome have been covered in this thread and the boom stake thread. Many thanks.
    I have been working on an Adventure project that will feature lightweight fabricated and curved poles. (curved hollow birdsmouth poles- with a little carbon fibre laminated in for stiffness- just cause I can).
    Might sound a little complicated or perhaps overkill, but once I can reveal the completed project.... I hope will make perfect sense.
    Anyway, I really appreciate the open spirit of sharing on this site and I'm looking forward to hopefully giving something back, in due course.

Great design! Do you think whoopee slings or URC would work for the guy-lines from the top of the pole down to the stake booms? I saw a video on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5ASOhWbCfg) where someone used a pipe horizontal to the ground with a spike driven through it. The bottom of the pole went other spike to hold the bottom the pole from sliding out. Any thoughts would be helpful! Thank you for your help.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Whoopie slings or UCR's would work, but are really unnecessary. Having static loops on the line makes the setup simpler and the adjustment is easily made by driving the stake booms where the ropes are adjusted appropriately.

That video is a pretty good demonstration of how to setup the Alamosa Stand. He is using the spike to hold the bottom which is what the bottom amsteel lines do. Where the small cross pipes on the ground are not attached to the uprights, it doesn't give any lateral stability, but it will keep the uprights from being driven into the ground.

I will warn you that this system with the tie-outs does create a trip hazard. Make sure and use some reflective line or tape to highlight the lines Running lines next to a table like that will definitely make you unpopular.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Since this string got brought again (wink face) I thought I would share what I built from the inspiration from this post...

This is version 4 (set up in the tv room upstairs) and a teaser of V 5 (scale model on the work bench.

A big thank you to everyone who has shared their knowledge and experience with hammocks and DIY stands it's been really fun following this string and the evolution of my own Frankenstein creations!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I am using orange amsteel with the hopes that helps with the visibility. I may think about adding some yellow caution tape to aid the visibility of the amsteel.

Did you try adding the tarps over the ends like a tee pee? Sounded like a great idea.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    I think the orange amsteel would definitely help during the day, but I still use something reflective for night time. I would hate to trip going for a midnight stroll.

I have not tried the end tarp tee pee yet, but the idea still intrigues me.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    HH Expedition Classic
    Tarp
    HH Hex Asym
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    HH Stock w/rings
    I know this is a old thread. But I'm hoping that I can still get some advice from people who have made something like this.

When the hammock is loaded, how much tension is on the ridgeline between the 2 posts (the on the tarp is set up on)? Do you think I need to use amsteel for this, or would something like zing-it work? They way I see it, I feel that, when loaded, most of the tension will be on the guy lines going out the the boom stakes. So stand ridgeline wouldn't need to be as strong.

Does this make sense? I'm having a little trouble wrapping my head around where the forces are applied

I'm looking into making 1/2 of this setup so I can set up with just 1 tree.

Fgignac, you are correct. The ridge line in this particular design has little if any tension when the hammock is loaded. Basically that ridgeline is there to keep the posts upright when the hammock is not loaded. Otherwise the posts would be the ground. The structural ridgeline on your hammock could also be used here. Simply connect the cl's from your hammy directly to the posts...

Sent from my LG-Q710AL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    HH Expedition Classic
    Tarp
    HH Hex Asym
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    HH Stock w/rings
    Thanks for the answer Foxy

Confirms what I was thinking. I use a zing-it ridgeline to hang my tarp on, I think I will just use it. That way if I need to tarp, the ridgeline will already be up. Win win

• + New Posts
  • Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast