Quote Originally Posted by jred View Post
If you used fence railing, you could possibly have 2-piece poles, 3' or so long. I was thinking of strapping my tripod setup upright to the sissy bar. It'd stick way up, and look funny, but I deal with enough funny looks that it wouldn't matter. Hmmm. I need to figure out a way to have the sissy bar be the support on one side.
If you hung a flag off it, people would just think it was a flag staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
This idea is very close to the one I made. I don't know what it weighs. I used 8' boards and angled them so that they take more of the load off the anchors. I like the idea of your anchors, and my try one of these to cut space more than anything. Nice looking and it works.

My stand, using a 2"x4", the end has sunk in the ground a little, but only about 1" to 1.5". And that was with 2 days of rain. So I understand your concern with using pipe.
I had seen stands using poles and anchors before (and I like your's by they way). The big advance I was going for was minimizing the transport size. That is what made the nesting so appealing.

It sounds like my sinking should be similar in soft ground. Possibly a bit worse as the end size of the 2x4 is larger than my poles even after they are capped.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
If using a plate like this one, you could also carry 4 extra stakes, 2 on each plate, to keep it from slipping. Then you would not need the rope at the bottom. Just a thought.
As the poles will probably sink a bit, the pole moving is probably not that big of risk after they have been loaded. However, what I really like about the lower cords is that it makes setting the position of the pole relative to the pegs is very quick and easy.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
What he said! Great stuff. I was thinking "hammock stand" from the word go during the "stake boom" thread.
Yea BB, based on the beefy booms I was showing, I figure many people saw the writing on the wall.