Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    W.L. Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 30 Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock Blackbird

Cheap (Synthetic) Under Quilt?

As I'm sure everyone getting into hammocks feels: UQ's are expensive! I'm looking for a simple UQ that will defrost my butt from mid-spring to mid-fall (45 degree and up). I don't need goose down, and I don't need an UQ that will keep me warm in the winter. If it helps any, I will be using a sleeping bag that matches or exceeds the forecast night lows. I'm looking to keep it cheap (under $75) and hopefully somewhat compact when folded (hence the 45 degree rating).

I'm not totally adverse to DIY, but that will be the next stage if I can't find one premade for cheap enough...

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    NCAA
    Not in your budget but close is the Arrowhead Equip, KAQ Lost River 2/3 UQ at about $125. I have one and like it.

Hammock
    Hennessy 1.6ULB, WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbidge,Sierra
    Suspension
    Straps
    Hi I just got an email from CampMor and they are running a sale on sleeping bags. Some as low as $20.00. I wouldn't mind cutting one up at that price. Sew the cut ends. Slap some shock cord on it and you have an underquilt.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    well ... cheap,compact and synth all together is not going to be easy to find
    the cheapest UQ that is Synth out there is the AHE lost river at $125
    you are not going to find a Quality UQ for under $100 not even used
    there is a reason they cost so much.... alot of work goes into a UQ
    you can do what someone just posted and get a cheap sleeping bag and cut it up and sew an UQ out of it.... that is one way to do it
    you can also "dirtbag" around for ripstop and down and make one for under $100 easy... i never paid more then $75 for everything needed to make my UQ's
    or keep an eye out on the for sale threads for a cheap UQ ... like i said even used UQ's are not cheap... most down UQ's only sell for $10-20 less then they are new ... and the last AHE lost river to sell sold for around $100
    i do see from time to time used DIY UQ's go for around your price but it's not often ..... you best bet is to save up a few more $$$ and get yourself the AHE Lost river for $125 ... Paul makes some really nice gear well worth the money

i tried the same thing when i first started out in 07 by trying to go cheap and trust me.... i didn't go far in the end you will end up saving up for an UQ
    it looks like alot of money now... but in the long run it's worth it .. and they don't lose value ... so if you don't like it... or end up going back to the ground you will get you money back

i know it's not the answer you were looking for... but i hope this helps
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    i also see you are using a dbl layer hammock.... you can use a pad as well..
    a cheap wally world blue foam pad will work great till you can save up for a good UQ ... or if you want something alittle better get a pad from here

http://gossamergear.com/sleeping.html

there pads are wider then a WW blue pad .... just put it in between the layers of you hammock and your good to go...
    will work fine till you find an UQ
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    A little work may greatly enhance the chances you'll be satisfied with the cheap pad. From posts elsewhere here:
    Know the best orientation for the way you sleep in the hammock
    Be sure it is large enough, because your shoulders come in contact, too
    Remove corners and shape it so the pad doesn't move to move to suit itself,
    Make it more flexible, to conform to the hammock with you in it. That may mean cutting the skin. It may mean removing wedges.
    Find a way to have it stay in place. A few velcro tabs?

There are plenty of thin, used sleeping bags on the market to be washed, laundered and recycled. If the comparison is a summer UQ, then the options are even greater, with inexpensive new indoor-quilts to be considered. The cutting and sewing is even easier. You will not, obviously, have the finish, or all the benefits of $8-10 yd premium DWR tafetta. But you may have saved $75 and be just as comfortable.

There gets to be a mindset that isn't much different than one that has someone never appear in public without a suit coat and tie, or if a woman, ever wearing shoes without heals. In another thread, on top-quilts, going over the cottage industry down-filled jobs, it took a while before someone ventured that he just used a sheet, and for someone else to refer to flannel. Right, not every hammock needs to wear down or couture garments.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 06-21-2011 at 10:44. Reason: editing

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    W.L. Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 30 Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    A little work may greatly enhance the chances you'll be satisfied with the cheap pad. From posts elsewhere here:
    know the best orientation for the way you sleep in the hammock
    be sure it is large enough, because your shoulders come in contact, too
    get rid of corners that may cause the pad to move to suit itself, not you
    make it more flexible, to conform to the hammock. That may mean cutting the skin. it may mean removing wedges.
    I have tried the pad thing, but it wasn't very comfortable. I think I will follow the advice from several of you here and pursue the pad option a little further. I do like the idea of using just a pad, I guess I figured I'd jump to an UQ too soon...

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    there are a few diy threads that may be helpful or WL has a 3/4 synth for a few $ more. i use a WL full synth UQ and their quality is easily worth the price.

Hammock
    DIY/Hammock Bliss/GT UL
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    diy uq
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Don't know if you can stretch up you budget just a hair, but the cheapest (in price only) underquilt I've seen on the market is this one from wilderness logics. It's only $95. I own one of their tarps, and it's top notch. A lot of folks on the forums have been getting their stuff lately, and everybody has seemed super pleased. Flatline here on the forums owns a different model from them, so you might want to pm him about it. I don't think you'd be disappointed in anything from them.

Hammock
    DIY/Hammock Bliss/GT UL
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    diy uq
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by flatline View Post
    there are a few diy threads that may be helpful or WL has a 3/4 synth for a few $ more. i use a WL full synth UQ and their quality is easily worth the price.
    Haha. What did I tell you? I thought flatline might chime in, just didn't know it would be while I was posting!
    Last edited by jraffini; 06-21-2011 at 10:57.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast