DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Nighthauk View Post
    Lol I have done more camping since January this year then I have in the last 10 years. I have done 17 nights since. I have at least that many nights for the rest of the year.

So how many have made hammocks with their troops. So we may be able to plan for this does anyone know what the cost per hammock run. It would be nice to be able to budget for it.

You are off to a good start there, keep the schedule up!

We did a make your own gear project a few years ago that was a good experience for the boys and the leaders learned a few things too. We also saved a ton of money building our own gear rather than writing a check, but to me the most valuable lesson was that we could indeed make our own gear and even if it's not a perfect stitch it holds up and that sense of "I made this myself" is a pretty cool thing to pass along to our youth.

A few yards per hammock at Hancock Fabrics or your store of choice along with a large spool of high quality polyester thread will get you headed in the right direction. That and a pattern, either from Papa Smurf (which might be at camp at the moment) or one of the many other members here.

Happy Trails...

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    I have seen a few different patterns laid out and personally I am a interested in the double layered hammock. Though I am also looking into leading the way with getting a new tarp for my HH. So we might have the kids throw in some money and get the fabric for the DIY Hammocks and see how that goes.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    Sorry Nighthauk! I fully intended to give you a link to papasmurf's scout kit thread and then spaced it (stupidity is a crippling disability, but I bravely plod on and live a mostly fulfilling life ). Here 'tis...

Insanely helpful scout kit thread

Hope this helps
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    That is awesome. Thank you very much. I was wondering if anyone had done this and broken out the cost for a hammock and this makes it all the more simple to budget for.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    Hennessey Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    Lots of it!!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've been in scouting for 40 years this year and made the hammock switch a few years ago as it became more and more difficult to get up off the cold ground. I've been spreading the gospel in our district and as I got involved with the OA got a lot of them swinging. All told I think I scored about 12 boys and a mess of adults. I posed it as a challenge to the older boys. Do it right and you will be more comfortable than you have ever been. Make a mistake and you will either succumb to gravity, or have a miserable night. So far they are doing well. I am trying to teach them how to make whoopie slings and that is proving a bit of a challenge. We will get it yet. Central Ohio has plenty of trees, and plenty of boys to hang from them.
    Silver on the Sage, Starlit Sky's above, Swingin' from the trees in a Hammock that I love.....

Hammock
    Grizz Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Pinnacle& Greylock
    Suspension
    Whoops
    Maybe it is time for the BSA to start reviewing what it deems safe and unsafe. I have been in scouting for 11 years now. 7 as a scout(eagle) 3 as a Committee Chairman and 1 as a Scoutmaster(current). I think scouting was a huge importance in my life and I hope it is for our scouts we have now.

Alcohol stoves. Personally I see them as very safe, as long as they are used properly. Normally only loaded up with 1 oz of fuel at a time and not under any kind of pressure. Use it like it is intended and it is a cheap, safe, and fast way to cook a meal.

2 campouts ago we avoided disaster. One of the approves BSA stoves malfunctioned and caught fire, it was not user error. The stove and the canister were enveloped in flames. If not for some quick thinking....... well it would have been horrible. We were 5 miles from the truck and 2 hours from a hospital after that.

I love the BSA, please dont read me wrong. I just think they should update their allowances every decade. One thing: I will never trust anyone else to tell me whats safe and whats not. And thats why my trangia is always first in the pack.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images

Conversion

I demoed my HH at a summer camp about 3 years ago for the scouts in my troop. I got looks like I was some kind of idiot, even from the other adult assistant scoutmasters. Since then, the previous scoutmaster has moved on as well as the majority of the couch-potato members of the troop.

Now almost everyone is in a hammock. Our last trip consisted of 17 hikers, 12 of which were hanging and I'm sure the other 5 wished they were. For FL in the summer (or most any time of the year for that matter) it's the only way to go.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Well my patch on my shirt say "Committee member" but that's not the end of it in my Troop. Any adult leader in my troop is encourgaged to step up and help with whatever they feel comfortable with doing. For me that's teaching some of the merit badges like hiking and backpacking and taking the younger scouts to summer camp each year. On any of my camping trips, I'm in a hammock and I (and any other adults in hammocks) will always get loads of questions about hanging from the scouts and the other adults.
    This year I'm gonna be working out how to do a DIY hammock making class for any adults and scouts that want to do this. One thing that's working in my favor is that my husband just came across a great deal on a parashoot from the military. It's one of those HUGE one's that was used to drop a tank or truck with. I'm thinking I can cut it up and make quite a few hammocks out of it. Anyways, I think it's worth a shot at least.

One thing I do try to do when I'm camping is to intentionally pick the very worst camping spot to hang my hammock and then the next morning ask all the scouts how they slept. Then when they ask me how I did, I tell them fantastic. This works even better if it rains and some of them get a bit damp while I'm totally dry. Next thing I know, one or two are asking to try my hammock.

Another thing I do is to bring an extra hammock and tarp to summer camp. Sometimes I'll go ahead and set it up, sometimes I just wait until a scout asks to try my hammock. Summer camp lasts for a week and usually there's a scout sleeping in my spare for that week.

Oh, about the pepsi can stoves. The guy that owns "anti gravity gear" promotes scouters and has come by my troop meetings and taught "how to make your own pepsi can stove" to our scouts. Great class and the scouts loved making their own gear. BUT.... we do not allow any scouts to use alcohol stoves on any BSA camping trips. These stoves are great for adults, I use one on all my backpacking trips. I also will demo it to the scouts on these backpacking trips. In the demo, I'll show why we don't allow the scouts to use these stoves. I think we as adults in scouting are here to teach/inform the scouts, so that they can then make wise choices in their lives. It's a program that I'm very proud to be a part of and I think will pay off later in life for the scouts. You just never know when some tid-bit of info you taught a scout will come in handy and save someone's life.

Oh, and to the guy that posted about the "foxes"..... ha ha... everyone knows "Eagles Rule"!!!! (ok, my husband is a fox and I'm an honerary fox due to being on staff at Woodbadge) But Eagles still Rule !!!

TinaLouise

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    Howdy there, was the CS Den leader until my boy crossed over, now have been the Troop Committee Chair for a couple years. Getting ready to transition our boys into a venturing crew, and plan on taking the route of UL and Hammock Camping, to promote LNT. This is one of the best methods to do, never did like how we flattened down ground cover. The ones in the troop that have started camping are enjoying the bliss of it, and we find many more potential areas to back country camp than with tents.

Foxes, Eagles, blah blah blah. It's all about the BobWhites.
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Hammock
    PolyD
    Tarp
    OES MacCat ultra
    Insulation
    New River KAQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Images
    My first wood badge W4-45-84 I was a Bobwhite. 2nd WM-45-99 a Fox, and WE4-33-08 Fox again. Now on staff for WE4-45-11-2.
    And my wife is a Fox too.
    Tortoise never for a moment stopped, but went on with a slow but steady pace straight to the end of the course.
    Translated by George Fyler Townsend. Aesop's Fables (p. 18). Amazon Digital Services, Inc..

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast