Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Mountain Man Mike : I just read through your menu.... Man, you really need to give a warning with that!!! I'm now having serious stomach issues of hunger pains!!! Gee do you think you could come down here and be on our next Woodbadge cook staff???!!!!!! I mean, we ate real good. But your menu looks like something out of a 4 star restuarant. I didn't even know what some of those words were!!!

and to keep this post hammock related.... after eatting all that good food, taking a nap in the hammock would have been the perfect ending for each day.

TinaLouise

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    You guys are makin me very excited to be going to woodbadge this sept. Our SM and myself will be both attending this fall.

As far as our troop there are 4 that are consistent hangers, myself and 3 of the kids. The SM tried a month or so ago but he froze when he didn't have any protection underneath, just a 40* bag He will again in July I am sure.

I talked to the Darryl (SM) last night about DIY hammock building and have been charged with making the first one. So I will be doing that in the next couple of weeks. Right before my family and I do a 9 day car camp with our church group. I will have plenty of hang time to in it.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nighthauk View Post
    You guys are makin me very excited to be going to woodbadge this sept. Our SM and myself will be both attending this fall.

As far as our troop there are 4 that are consistent hangers, myself and 3 of the kids. The SM tried a month or so ago but he froze when he didn't have any protection underneath, just a 40* bag He will again in July I am sure.

I talked to the Darryl (SM) last night about DIY hammock building and have been charged with making the first one. So I will be doing that in the next couple of weeks. Right before my family and I do a 9 day car camp with our church group. I will have plenty of hang time to in it.
    Knotty's DIY instructions are awesome and Scott (BWdd) DIY gear just posted some diy instructions. I would link to them but ain't quite figured that out. Hopefully someone else can or you can search diy forum threads. Good luck on your projects. You will love woodbadge and you will make some friends that will last a lifetime as well other social events in Scouting. Making friends here on this forum is cool too. There is a bunch of mighty fine people on here!

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by dkperdue View Post
    Also, used to prohibit driving after dark except for "short trips"
    Now that is not anywhere in there, so you can drive on into the night on unfamiliar roads with a vehicle full of other people's kids as much as you want.
    In my view that's a good thing. If people don't trust me driving their kids, they can file a complaint form--also known as an adult leader form.

Hammock
    HH-HBPA,2QZQ-Mod2L
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx Spinn
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & TiGoat
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64" UCR's
    Images

Advance method for active scouts...

I love the influence hammocking has on scouts. My son went from a Cub with a truck load of duffles, to a self toating external frame WEBELOS, and now is a sub 20# pack long term camping Life scout. His attention to details has grown and he makes his own decisions on what set, weather gear and insulation he will pack. Latest: "He Poppa, my pack fits in my summer camp day pack..."

The challenge of planning combined with the uniqueness of hammocking make a good combination to hold and tweek the interest of Boys who make it in the woods enough to want to try something a bit more edgy and new (and we all know there is no shortage of new stuff to try here.)

Proud dad of a 13 y/o Life scout. Dist Program Chair, Dist OA Advisor, SR-875 Eagle. Past SM & CM.
    H4x
    SM TR49, SR-875 "A boy learns integrity through his eyes, ears and hands."

"You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins, as quoted by Frodo The Fellowship of the Ring

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    Mountain Man Mike : I just read through your menu.... Man, you really need to give a warning with that!!! I'm now having serious stomach issues of hunger pains!!! Gee do you think you could come down here and be on our next Woodbadge cook staff???!!!!!! I mean, we ate real good. But your menu looks like something out of a 4 star restuarant. I didn't even know what some of those words were!!!

and to keep this post hammock related.... after eatting all that good food, taking a nap in the hammock would have been the perfect ending for each day.

TinaLouise
    Thanks so much TL. Indeed a long nap was required. I always seem to get a partial napping merit badge.

A long time scouter and terrific friend of mine was the Scoutmaster for Woodbadge that year. He asked me to head up the food so I agreed, on two conditions though 1) having my "A team" (2 adult leaders and their sons from our troop) and 2) like being a scoutmaster of Woodbadge, it's a one and done situation. The planning was a new challenge for me, but with a super staff we pulled it off and came in nearly $1,000 under budget. The council nearly had a cow when the food service rep called them and reported what I was wanting to order. The program folks were able to benifit from the savings. I wish I had a decent camera then, but the memories are pretty cool.

Thanks again,

Mike

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailH4x View Post
    I love the influence hammocking has on scouts. My son went from a Cub with a truck load of duffles, to a self toating external frame WEBELOS, and now is a sub 20# pack long term camping Life scout. His attention to details has grown and he makes his own decisions on what set, weather gear and insulation he will pack. Latest: "He Poppa, my pack fits in my summer camp day pack..."

The challenge of planning combined with the uniqueness of hammocking make a good combination to hold and tweek the interest of Boys who make it in the woods enough to want to try something a bit more edgy and new (and we all know there is no shortage of new stuff to try here.)

Proud dad of a 13 y/o Life scout. Dist Program Chair, Dist OA Advisor, SR-875 Eagle. Past SM & CM.
    Right there with you. I have a 13 y/o life scout. He is a extreme ultra light packer. But that is only because he forgets a lot and I got tired of reminding him. So he will learn or suffer. Our SM and I are getting into backpacking a lot because we feel it teaches the boys responsibility for themselves and the environment more than car camping. Plus we are getting tired of providing for the older scouts where they need to learn that themselves.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    Hennesy Expedition
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Official BSA policy: NO homemade alcohol(etc) gas stoves allowed. Allowed are the commercially made and sold backpacking stoves. We are also working on current Leave No Trace principle of minimizing campfire impact.

Hammock
    PolyD
    Tarp
    OES MacCat ultra
    Insulation
    New River KAQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Images
    Matthew in his DIY Speer last year at sume camp.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tortoise never for a moment stopped, but went on with a slow but steady pace straight to the end of the course.
    Translated by George Fyler Townsend. Aesop's Fables (p. 18). Amazon Digital Services, Inc..

Hammock
    Hennessey Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    Lots of it!!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have been a scout or scouter for over 40 years. Some of us old-timers find it more and more difficult to get up off the ground and have turned to Hammocking to extend our twilight years with the boys. The kids are very interested once they see the old man drop out of his HH right into his chair. I tried and failed to show all the kids how to make their own hammocks and am now using it as an OA project to further the lower impact camping we are espousing again. My son is away in college but I have high hopes he will return to scouting. In the meantime The boys are adopting quickly from the top down.
    There is a certain sadness about the passing of the old ways and there is talk of a reunion of we old guys using vintage gear. Should be fun. Still have my ol yucca pack and voyageur tent
    Silver on the Sage, Starlit Sky's above, Swingin' from the trees in a Hammock that I love.....

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast