DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by s2sailor View Post
    I'm probably old school in this thinking (and heretical for this forum) but I feel that hammocking should be reserved for the older boys. I think it is best for the younger scouts to start off learning tenting skills and reinforcing the buddy system and then moving to hammocks after they have learned the basics.

For those of you just starting out in your scouting careers, I envy you. You are in for a very rewarding time. When I started it was mainly to just enjoy the experience with my sons. That has been wonderful, but equally rewarding, and very unexpected, was how much fulfillment and enjoyment I received helping and mentoring the other boys and watching them mature and advance to eagle. Seeing kids that you have known since they were 11 (or even earlier, in addition to your own son(s)) grow up, mature and head to college is a rewarding experience. The time passes quickly ... savor the moments.
    +1 to both and believe me, you are rewarded tenfold with the satisfaction that your leadership and direction have influenced so many lives in a positive manner. Your service is not exactly like those in the military, but your contributions to your community and our country do not go without notice or appreciation. I aspire to near your level of contribution and you are to be commended for all you do and have done.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    Well, I was talking to the Committee Chair for our local Troop last week and mentioned hammock camping. He was very interested and said that he had a scout bring one to summer camp but only used it to lounge in during free time.

He said that he was happy that my son was crossing over next year so that I can introduce the scouts to hammocking......

Guess I need to learn as much as I can myself then, LOL!

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    HH Hex / Noah 9
    Suspension
    Strap/buckle/rings
    Images
    Just got back from a week at Camp Raven Knob, around Mt. Airy NC. The trading post there was selling Byer Traveller Lite hammocks for under $25. One adult bought one after his cheap net hammock tore and then one of the boys bought one.
    I helped them with setting their new hammocks up. But after they tried theirs and mine, they all said mine was more comfortable.
    DKPerdue
    ASM, Troop 212

Hammock
    DIY Test, Bugnet/Tarp In progress
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mountain_man_mike View Post
    Relax, it's only an hour a week...
    Per kid in the Unit
    Not all who wander are lost......

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by Rythos View Post
    Per kid in the Unit
    That's more like it!

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Rythos View Post
    Per kid in the Unit
    The fine print... must read the fine print...
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    DYI UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    I'm a Bear den leader, packing for Cub Scout Adventure Camp that starts on Thurs. My son andI are packing our hammocks. Glad to see other Scouters on the forum.

BearClaw

Hammock
    ENO Single Nest and Reactor
    Tarp
    ENO DryFly
    Insulation
    Thermarest and bag
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Ressurecting a slightly old thread...

I was at Raven Knob the week after you for scout camp. Like many on this thread I am both an Assistant Scout Master for the Boy Scouts and a Cub Scout Den Leader in the Cary, NC area.

I actually purchased one of those byer moskito hammocks from the trading post at raven knob (awesome scout camp by the way!). Then, I realized I had no suspension so I went back and purchased the Byer Micro Hammock Rope Suspension (about $60 for both the hammock and suspension, all of this before I found HF) and hung it up for the last few days of the week. I love the pack size of the Byer Moskito! So small! Very compact! Unfortunately, the mosquito net does not work well for me. I am 6'1" and cannot get into a position where the net is not draped across my face. It also is a single layer hammock and as has been discussed many times here at HF is not a gathered end hammock but has a bunch of cord at each end. This means that a standard underquilt may not fit quite right though a 3/4 or 2/3 underquilt may work just fine. The netting would work if you had two ridgelines to make the netting more like a cube than a triangle (if that makes sense). Due to the cut of the netting and how it attaches at the ends of the hammock it hangs loose from the ridgeline to the side of the hammock but tight from the ridgeline to the ends of the hammock. If the sides could be pulled tighter, the netting could be held off the occupants face and head. I'm thinking about trying to mod the netting to either fully replace it with a better cut, add lines from the side of the hammock to a stake ala WBBB and/or changing from a single ridgeline to a dual ridgeline to pull the sides of the netting tighter to keep it off my face... Ah if the world could only take 30 hours to spin instead of 24, time is not my friend right now...

Back to scouts and hammocks... We are getting more and more boys and adult leaders hammock camping in the boy scouts. Right now we are up to 3 adult leaders and 5 scouts hanging with many more very curious about our systems. Some use DIY hammocks and some use HH or WBBB hammocks. It's definitely spreading and with winter coming I am going to have to pull the hangers aside at an upcoming meeting to talk about staying warm in a hammock. We had a couple boys very cold last month when the nighttime temp dropped to around 60. Maybe even have a DIY underquilt / topquilt creation meeting to make the necessities. With all the great plans here on HF I'm sure we could come up with something that would work for North Carolina...

Cheers!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by dkperdue View Post
    Just got back from a week at Camp Raven Knob, around Mt. Airy NC. The trading post there was selling Byer Traveller Lite hammocks for under $25. One adult bought one after his cheap net hammock tore and then one of the boys bought one.
    I helped them with setting their new hammocks up. But after they tried theirs and mine, they all said mine was more comfortable.
    DKPerdue
    ASM, Troop 212

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    DYI UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Nighthauk View Post
    I was curious and I see that it pops up from time to time but how many Scout Leaders or at least adults that help the leaders do we have here? I myself am a Assistant Scout Leader for the Boys Scouts and a Cub Master for the Cub Scouts. It would be cool to maybe throw out different ideas and activities that we can do with the scouts that pertain to Hammocking and Camping in general.

Example: Last meeting that we had I helped them all make coke can stoves with mess stands. They all loved doing the project and now they all have something to cook on when we all go out backpacking in July.

Including myself and the other other leader there are three other boys that hang.

What do you think?
    I was thinking about a Scout Hang, just not sure how many Scouts would be interested? I can contact the Lawhorn Scout Base to see what we would need to do to hold it there?
    http://ini-to324.org/WTGCG/lawhorn.htm

P.S. I believe in the guide to safe Scouting, the use of homemade coke can stoves are on the no fly list. Alc stoves in general are not recommended.

Bearclaw

Hammock
    Home Made from Acer
    Tarp
    Kelty
    Insulation
    Body Fat
    Suspension
    Mule's Special
    Images
    Asst. Scout leader Pack 528 here in Indiana......

We will be crossing over to Hammocking hanging next year.....cant wait...

Jerry
    The only Easy day was yesterday.

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast