Hi there, this is me, and what I wanna do!

Hi,
    I just became aware and interested in hammock camping over the last few months. Was planning on buying a hammock, as I thought It would definitely be too difficult to sew my own. After browsing what's available, I didn't find any design that was exactly what I wanted. I don't know exactly what I want, or how to do it, and that's why I am here.

I'm located in the northern US, and am planning to hit the road once again by winter, or rather late fall, or maybe earlier fall. This time however, I am planning on travelling by bicycle. I'm thinking of not only building my hammock and tarp, etc, but also my saddlebags.

I've been lurking these forums for quite a while now, and have gleaned quite a bit. But I think it's time for me to get more involved and find some guidance and help. I'm going to post some detailed threads about fabrics I have, and questions on what I should get, and also design considerations for my hammock/tarp system.

Please feel free to answer in detail, refer me to other posts or links, or just ignore me.

Anyways,
    -Ano

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Welcome to the HF from Canada! You've come to the right place.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    welcome to Hammock Forums and hey from high point nc.
    there is a ton of stuff here to read, learn and ask about.
    if it's hammock related it's here or still waiting to be invented.
    hang on and have fun.

home is where your hammock is.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    If you want very cheep, super-durable, and water-tight* panniers get:

Plastic cat-litter pails. (The ones with a snap-top lid)
    Use angle iron and rubber grommets and you will be laughing.

Reader digest version of hammock advice:
    WBBB Dbl layer hammock is the bees-knees around here. You will NEED insulation under you if you hang in temps lower then 70F, so get a pad or even better and Underquilt (UQ).
    You can use an old sleeping bag as a TopQuilt (TQ).
    All of the gear-makers that populate the forums make great grea, you won't be dissappointed in by any of them.
    Also, look into Whoopie Slings to make your setup quicker/easier and lighter.
    I ride a recumbent.
    I like to HAM it up on the CW.
    I use Linux.
    I play go.
    Of course I sleep in a hammock!

Rug.

Hang On!

Yeah, I had been considering wbbb, just am considering design options, and am now getting hooked on the companion hammock concept. But if I can't come up with a solution, I'm liking the bridge hammock designs I'ms seeing. Will just have to tough out the occasional night with a companion. Then just redesign and build something new if my situation changes. But I do like the idea of a 2 in one design.

Thanks everyone for your replies! I'm feeling rather motivated and excited. The whole project (of making a hammock) seems a whole lot less overwhelming than a few months ago. this forum is truly rich with information and ideas.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Ano,

See if you can meet some guys out in your neck of the woods and try some different ones out. You may not like a bridge (or it might be the best since sliced bread). I was thinking about doing my own too. But my time is worth more than my money with 4 kids...

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Welcome to HF from Mass.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by anofields View Post
    Yeah, I had been considering wbbb, just am considering design options, and am now getting hooked on the companion hammock concept. But if I can't come up with a solution, I'm liking the bridge hammock designs I'ms seeing. Will just have to tough out the occasional night with a companion. Then just redesign and build something new if my situation changes. But I do like the idea of a 2 in one design.

Thanks everyone for your replies! I'm feeling rather motivated and excited. The whole project (of making a hammock) seems a whole lot less overwhelming than a few months ago. this forum is truly rich with information and ideas.
    IMO two people in one bridge at the same time is the worst combination ever. I used a DIY bridge for a while and it jus simply would not be feasible to cram two of us in there. In general... two people in one hammock is an acquired skill if nothing else. You will tend to roll together which may be nice for the short term.. but trying to sleep that way would not be a fun thing for me. There are folks who do it. But even then I believe the consensus would be it is not the easiest feat to accomplish.

There is at least one commercial hammock available which is truly a two person hammock. The Clark Vertex is designed to sleep two people in one unit. There are a couple of DIY models floating around, but no good tutorials on them that I am aware of.

Generally speaking hammocks which are called "double" are best suited for extra room and comfort for one person. IMO this is the biggest downside of the camping hammock. Trying to sleep two. It just doesn't work too well.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Ano, Rablinrev is saying what I've seen too. I have a couple of Eno doubles and they're fine for an hour or so. When taking my daughter, I'm putting the straps from both (independent) hammocks up on one tree and then the other ends up on trees/branches that are about 3' apart.

• + New Posts