Newbee: What I wanna do.

Hi,
    Just finished my introduction up on the intro thread. thought I'd come over here and say just what I am audaciously contemplating to attempt.

Hammock:

Mosquito hammock w/ bridge design to lay flat. I would like it to be able to accommodate two people, in case someone decides to join me in my journey, or just over night. I'm wondering if going with 60 - 65" wide would be sufficient. I'm guessing from how Warbonnet explains it, that I'm going to need heavier ripstock, I can find 1.9. Also thinking double layering for added bug protection.

I'm planning on sticking to warm climates, so It can be rather basic. But as I'll be living out of it, I'm feeling like I'll want a sufficiently large, and versatile tarp, in case I'm stuck in fairly strong and heavy storms.

The hammock body itself is the only fabric I'm planning on not salvaging. I've cut up a couple of tents for my tarp, possible groundcloth, stuffsacks, perhaps for my saddle bags as well.

I've included some webcam pictures (sorry for quality) of the promising fabrics.

The first two are of a blue ripstock tent I removed the lower portion, floor, entry, and back window. I figured it would be perfect to modify for a tarp.
    Second two images are of the wear of the fabric. (twas made in 1980).

The last two are of a floor from another tent. Not sure what kind of fabric it is, but I figured it could be good for ground cloth. Maybe saddlebags. could take more ideas on uses for it.

They both have plenty of netting that I could possibly utilize, and may hit up the salvation army for more tents. Thought that maybe I could also make rain chaps out of ripstock...(?)

Anyways,
    That's probably enough for now,
    -Ano
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Are you going to put a seam down the middle, or how are you going to keep from being packed together like a sardeen? My ENO Double fits two, but elbows into chest and knees into legs isn't comfortable for more than an hour...

Do you mean like as a divider? Such as in the junglehammock double? if so, Perhaps if it could be an optional set up feature. Otherwise, the separation of such designs is what I don't like.

Perhaps it could be designed extra wide with a wall that can be attached to a central ridge line?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Well, I was thinking you could put two pieces of ripstop together no problem, but I would think that even with using a spreader bar that's wide enough, there would be a tendence for the "V" or "U" shape to push people together in the middle - like my ENO. I think that the Clark actually has two separate beds, like "UU", but I haven't seen one in person.

If you put both hammocks side by side, with independent spreaders, then i'd work, but that would likely defeat the purpose you were invisioning?

Haha, exactly. I'm thinking up a few designs, drew some out, that would allow for the hammock to be used in two different setups. there would be 5 separate (ridge-lines?) running lengthwise all parallel. Set up A would utilize 2 and 4, a 1 person setup. Setup B would utilize 1, 3, and 5. They would all have pull tension straps, like on a backpack, so they could easily be adjusted from within the hammock. So say cuddle time is over, my back hurts, just tension 1 and 5, release 2 and 4 a bit, tension 3 a bit, release 2 and 4, and tension 3, etc. until just right.

Perhaps it could be in a v, with narrow shared foot space. This way if someone is getting out, the other person can still fall into the center of gravity. (perhaps then line 3 would not really be a full length line, but just a tension strap at the head.)

I've been reading dblhmmck, and shua's threads on 2 person concepts. Gleaning ideas there, thinking of possible solutions.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Ano, draw up some plans on paper and post a picture here in the DIY section. Read up in there about others designs. Do a search there on a bridge hammock. You'll get a lot of really good info.

• + New Posts