ENO Double
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    Experimenting
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Straps

Welcome to Cordage Anonymous

Hi. I'm Mark and I have a cordage addiction...

Stopped by Omaha Surplus in Ft Worth today on the way home from work, just because...

Passed the 1/16" poly bin. Three times! Mental checklist says I have 600' at home. But not in THAT color. Soon, another spool snuggles up for the ride home with me (it looked so lonely).

Tonight, I chat with a cable installer. You know where this is headed. I brought up mule tape. After his initial "WTF?" look, I explain the whole LNT thing and my quest for suspension nirvana. He hands me ~100' from his truck, mumbles something that sounded like "stalker" or "psycho" and speeds off.

As of tonight, my "cordage bag" weighs more than most expedition backpacks. I'm very ill and I need help.

Anyone else suffer this desparate mental disease that leaves one lterally tied in knots?

Are there treatment options? I looked into gene splicing, but can't find a fid that small.

HELP ME!!!!
    Ignorance is temporary. Stupid is forever...

I'm not high maintenance! I'm simply low tolerance.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    Too awesome! You've got friends here who are just like you, who know your pain, but who are not likely to be able to help you (at least to kick the habit (maybe help hook you up, though)). I've been slowly accumulating cordage of all types, and I thought I was doing it on the sly until the Missus caught me with 30 feet of Amsteel and shouted, "Just how much rope do we need!?!" I know... she called amsteel rope. She also calls mule tape, paracord, mason's line, and polyesther webbing rope as well--it's painful to hear. Even when she calls braided nylon rope "rope" that bothers me, but I think it's just a knee-jerk emotional response by this point. I pray that she is not doing this merely to be hurtful.

I don't know what the disconnect is. I thought she would be thrilled when 900+ feet of mule tape showed up in the mail (from a very generous member of this forum to help get some scouts up off the ground (thanks again, John)), and I was equally surprised when she was nonplussed at my retiring to the garage to sort it all out, and when she gave me a look that a person might give to someone who just asked if they'd like to kiss a tarantula when all I selflessly had asked was "Feel how awesome this is; wanna bundle some up too?", I realized that she had a significant problem. Obviously, I have no idea who this woman is, but this I do know--she has threatened me with death if she finds one more stash in an air conditioning duct, toilet tank, refrigerator (bottom shelf way in the back... what kind of person GOES there anyway?), floorboard, or "rope rack" (I figured if I hide new stuff behind the old stuff she'd never notice, but her inventory skills are as sharp as mine). It's just a matter of time... Death is coming.

'Cause quitting is not an option.
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Tree straps & CRL
    Just ... one ... more ... 10 inch bury ... whimper. Really. That's all I need and I will be through making, uh, things!! Really needed things!! really ... can anyone help a cordage brother out?? just a little more amsteel is all I need ... anyone?

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by timabababaluka View Post
    Too awesome! You've got friends here who are just like you, who know your pain, but who are not likely to be able to help you (at least to kick the habit (maybe help hook you up, though)). I've been slowly accumulating cordage of all types, and I thought I was doing it on the sly until the Missus caught me with 30 feet of Amsteel and shouted, "Just how much rope do we need!?!" I know... she called amsteel rope. She also calls mule tape, paracord, mason's line, and polyesther webbing rope as well--it's painful to hear. Even when she calls braided nylon rope "rope" that bothers me, but I think it's just a knee-jerk emotional response by this point. I pray that she is not doing this merely to be hurtful.

I don't know what the disconnect is. I thought she would be thrilled when 900+ feet of mule tape showed up in the mail (from a very generous member of this forum to help get some scouts up off the ground (thanks again, John)), and I was equally surprised when she was nonplussed at my retiring to the garage to sort it all out, and when she gave me a look that a person might give to someone who just asked if they'd like to kiss a tarantula when all I selflessly had asked was "Feel how awesome this is; wanna bundle some up too?", I realized that she had a significant problem. Obviously, I have no idea who this woman is, but this I do know--she has threatened me with death if she finds one more stash in an air conditioning duct, toilet tank, refrigerator (bottom shelf way in the back... what kind of person GOES there anyway?), floorboard, or "rope rack" (I figured if I hide new stuff behind the old stuff she'd never notice, but her inventory skills are as sharp as mine). It's just a matter of time... Death is coming.

'Cause quitting is not an option.
    This is why you rent a storage unit with a prepaid credit card.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    Experimenting
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Straps
    Thanks Tracy... I just had a flashback of a Cheech & Chong skit. Only this one was called "Let's Make A Rope Deal, with Bob Stitchin".

And if one more person asks me if Amsteel Blue is a light beer, I swear I'm gonna *&#%^@( them up!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    oh Barefeetz,
    you've got a problem. This is serious, very serious.

But you know, hammockforums is here to help. We can get you into a 12 step program. It has worked for others, it can work for you too.

The first step is to send me all your cord
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    Experimenting
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    The first step is to send me all your cord
    I can't quit cold turkey. Besides, if I sent you all my cord, what would I tie the parcel up with?

It's getting bad though. Wifey sneezed earlier today and I swear I said "Klemheist"...

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Yeah, send it all to Grizz before you start receiving un-vetted invitations to share your "cordage addiction", accompanied by URLs to web sites the moderators would strike if they appeared here. "Rope, hammocks? And you're not into "decorative knots" yet"?

It may be less expensive to get into archery. Strands instead of cords instead of ropes. Fits in a smaller bag. Get to roll, braid, and tune your own. No double entendres come to mind.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Yes. I understand your pain. My wife cannot understand why i have spools of paracord, fling-it, zing-it(both colours), Amsteel in 7/64 and 1/8, dacron kite line, mason's line and speer no-tangle all over my work area.

I guess it's just not in some people to understand!!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Hello, my name is Raiffnuke, and I am a cordaholic.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast