Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    1. Do I need to hang my food in a bear bag?
    Yes, we don't want to habituate any animals to feeding on our food. As other said, raccoons and rodents are problems too. Many people won't cook in camp to keep the food smells at a minimum-- they cook on the way instead.

2. Do I need to be concerned about any non-human predators?
    Keep the food under control as above. Make some noise so you don't surprise a bear, especially one with cubs. Attacks are rare-- you're in more danger driving to the trailhead.

3. Is going alone a bad idea?
    I usually go alone. It is my re-creation and I like the peace and solitude. I like hiking at my pace, stopping when and where it suits me.

Always let someone know where you are going and have a deadline. I leave a copy of the trail I'm going to and a "call by dark" deadline with my wife or adult kids. I don't do any technical stuff when alone--- falls are more a problem than anything. I always use maps and compass and carry the essentials.

It can be freaky to get out of your shelter at 3 AM to pee under a full moon. Your head just doesn't turn far enough around

Hammock
    Clark NX150, HH DJ Zip XL
    Tarp
    Clark Camo
    Insulation
    TQ UQ By HG 3 seas
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Solo

I don't know a thing about altitude sickness, however I have decades of solo canoe trips in the bdub.
    1.) I switched to bringing nothing but dehydrated food. I quit hanging my food years ago. I stash it away from where I sleep. I don't cook where I sleep either.
    EVER.
    2.)l I always filter AND boil. ALWAYS.

3.) The world would be a better place if everyone knew a few simple knots with quick releases.

4.) Leave travel plans with a loved one.

5.) Leave the electronics at home, give yourself a break. Learn to be STILL.

6.) Read the Field Guide to Wilderness Survival by T. Brown and keep a journal.

7.) If you camp in Grizzly country without a Desert Eagle, You deserve to get eaten.
    Last edited by Fishpig; 07-23-2011 at 10:49.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    DD Tarp 3x3
    Insulation
    GarQuilt/Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by sr1355 View Post
    My only recommendation would be to leave a trip detail with someone and what they should do if you have not made contact by the predetermined time...
    This should be a 'must do'.

Hammock
    BIAS 11 footer
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    pitbull Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleW View Post
    It can be freaky to get out of your shelter at 3 AM to pee under a full moon. Your head just doesn't turn far enough around
    No truer words spoken (or typed).

2 cents: Take map and compass, learn to use map and compass, pre-plan exit routes if you need to bail. Talk to folks who know the area, be a little social to people on the trail so they will remember your face and where they saw you. Do the same for them.
    Ken T.

“Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world.”
    ― John Muir
    Watches synchronized, sharp mind and empty bladder. You get caught, demand an attorney and don't ever say my name. - Agent Simmons
    "With your eyes closed you can't tell the difference between Tyvek and Cuben." - Knotty

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek Edge
    Insulation
    LeighLo FL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbinhood View Post
    I am surprised that only one person warned you about going from your altitude to a much higher altitude at Vail. Altitude sickness can come on in a matter of hours and totally incapacitate you in a short time. If you get the cerebral edema form, it can cause unconsciousness in a few hours, and eventually death.
    You can acclimate yourself easily by spending one night at moderate to high elevation (8000'). Car camp at the trailhead. If you have a headache in the morning, you may have mountain sickness, but it's not likely. This is how I prepared to climb Whitney, and I started getting mountain sickness only abot 12,000'. As soon as we hit the summit I rested and the headaches went away, especially when we started descending.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek Edge
    Insulation
    LeighLo FL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishpig View Post
    7.) If you camp in Grizzly country without a Desert Eagle, You deserve to get eaten.
    No glizzlies in Colorado. Black bears are pansies, even mamas with cubs. I used to haze them all the time as a park ranger. Mountain lions on the other hand......

Hammock
    Eno. Not sure its my favorite
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Primaloft
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Dont count on other people being arround.
    Do not go solo thinking i dont need to
    Know the trail like the back of my hand because
    The parks always have people going up and down
    the trail.
    Thats when the park is empty
    Plan on being alone.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by shumway View Post
    Here's a suggestion from my experience. Don't camp too close to a rushing river. I did that once. It masked all other sound. It had me freaked right out knowing something could approach and I wouldn't hear it. I spent the day looking over my shoulder. My imagination was playing tricks on me. I didn't see anything that was actually a concern.
    I on the other hand love sleep by a river, I like to travel by kayak.. I also like to take a book, but I almost never read it.
    Ive done lots of solo camping and the 1st few times I was nervous. Now is rather camp in NF alone than in a campground.
    Deffinetly hang your food. Don't eat near the hammock. "There more scared of you than you are of them" ya right.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleW View Post

And no matter what if the creepy music starts playing...don't go into that dark place (grove of trees, cave, or basement).

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456