DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    On the subject of bringing "entertainment," I don't like to bring gadgets while camping (other than compass & GPS). I can see that they open up a whole new world of entertainment that a very few years ago was impossible. But, just as a personal preference, I try to keep the wilderness experience, well, wilderness. The book idea is nice, especially if it is an outdoorsy book (i.e. Cormac McCarthy). If it is a short trip, weight can be saved by xeroxing a couple of chapters or so. I'm sure my age has something to do with my opinion; I remember when my Dad brought the first TV into the house
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 single, 2QZQ HH, GTUL
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti / Black Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have done a few solos, and I agree with shug.
    Do a test run or two to get the bugs worked out.

Make sure to tell someone where you will be, and what to do if they don't here from you at a pre determined date.

Take a good survival/bushcraft book. No better ways to hone your bush skills than getting out there and trying a few things.
    Last edited by sonic; 07-02-2011 at 11:20. Reason: Spelling
    Because you fall through the clouds if you try to lay on them, so the next best thing is a hammock.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    For all you Android phone users out there, you can now download the US Army Survival guide from the Android Market. So you can get your Bear Grylls on in the wild.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Jacks-R-better bridge
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    JRB Top & Bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Be Careful of Altitude Sickness

I am surprised that only one person warned you about going from your altitude to a much higher altitude at Vail. Altitude sickness can come on in a matter of hours and totally incapacitate you in a short time. If you get the cerebral edema form, it can cause unconsciousness in a few hours, and eventually death. The pulmonary edema form comes on slower, but can be equally deadly. Years ago a friend and I rescued an elk hunter who had chosen to hunt by himself and came down with a bad case of altitude sickness(pulmonary form). But for us finding him, he would have certainly died. We were hunting ourselves outside Lake City, CO and that evening after the rescue, everyone we met had their own altitude sickess story. It does not matter what kind of shape you are in, and thin or fat. I would read up on it before you go, and unlike many here, I would strongly caution against you going alone. Nature is unforgiving. Break a leg in the back country and you may become dinner for a pack of coyotes or wolves. A man who was a very experienced back country hiker and emergency room doctor just died out there with his daughter, and they were together. I'd never go it alone in the Rocky Mountains.

Hammock
    TX250, NX200, WBBB
    Tarp
    WBSF, Edge, Vertex
    Insulation
    Incu-Burrow!
    Suspension
    Camo w/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Rbinhood, thanks for the warning. You brought up some powerful reasons not to go it alone. I still have a few weeks left and will continue to solicit a hiking companion. I'll also research altitude sickness as you recommend.

Thanks again.
    My YouTube channel: Tool Dude Tony
    "No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbinhood View Post
    I am surprised that only one person warned you about going from your altitude to a much higher altitude at Vail. Altitude sickness can come on in a matter of hours and totally incapacitate you in a short time. If you get the cerebral edema form, it can cause unconsciousness in a few hours, and eventually death. The pulmonary edema form comes on slower, but can be equally deadly. Years ago a friend and I rescued an elk hunter who had chosen to hunt by himself and came down with a bad case of altitude sickness(pulmonary form). But for us finding him, he would have certainly died. We were hunting ourselves outside Lake City, CO and that evening after the rescue, everyone we met had their own altitude sickess story. It does not matter what kind of shape you are in, and thin or fat. I would read up on it before you go, and unlike many here, I would strongly caution against you going alone. Nature is unforgiving. Break a leg in the back country and you may become dinner for a pack of coyotes or wolves. A man who was a very experienced back country hiker and emergency room doctor just died out there with his daughter, and they were together. I'd never go it alone in the Rocky Mountains.
    Geez he's not climbing Everest.

August 05, 2008
    Altitude Sickness in the Vail Valley
    Some tips from CBS 4 News in Denver
    FRISCO, Colo. (CBS4) ― People that are going up to Colorado's mountains to get a break from the heat on the plains have another concern to face -- altitude sickness. It remains a common issue, particularly for visitors from out of state.

At higher altitudes there is less barometric pressure, which is what controls the force of oxygen into people's bloodstream.

In the month of July there has been a large increase in call volume for the sickness, says James Woodworth a paramedic with Summit County ambulance service.

Anyone can suffer from it, and depending on the person, they can suffer for hours or days.

Symptoms are similar to the flu. A headache typically results, but nausea and vomiting are frequent as well.

Dr. Charles Tuft, president of Alpine Mobile Physicians, says "About one fourth of people coming to the altitude of Vail, about 8,150 (feet), are going to get some symptoms of altitude sickness."

The most common prescription to relieve the drastic cases of illness is a night on oxygen. Oxygen will eliminate the symptoms, but doing so beforehand may prevent onset of altitude sickness. Going down to a lower altitude will typically cause symptoms to go away.

Drinking lots of water will not prevent altitude sickness either, but doing so will keep you hydrated in case you do get sick. /quote

FYI- your not going to meet any wolves in Vail but if you'd like to see some wolves talk with Cannibal he works with a wolf sanctuary.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 07-05-2011 at 20:36.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Geez he's not climbing Everest.
    I'll admit, that made me laugh.

Fronkey
    Last edited by Fronkey; 07-05-2011 at 22:37.

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    Well, he's not climbing Everest, but his body does not know that, and will respond to the physical triggers of altitude wherever it is. Do not wish to ruin a planned wilderness trip because of lack of info....that said, one CAN hike alone, although it presumes a certain level of fitness and wilderness skills. Stopping about 1/2 hour before camp to eat, and then hiking on to the campsite is generally a good idea. I like bear canisters better than bags. Saves the hanging hassle, and is more easily available. I like the Garcia canister.

I don't take books, et al, with me. I plan to practice various Bushcraft skills while out there - bow drill sets/fire making, etc. I also plan to hike near someplace that holds fish, then practice primitive ways to catch/cook them. I am not taking a 'tour' in the forest. I am learning to be self-sufficient there. But that's just me! When the Zombie Apocalypse hits, I want to be ready!
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Dudorino: You can look for a hiking partner at meetup.com. They have members from 4,000 different hiking clubs! I'm just sayin'...I have no affiliation with the website or its developers.
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Dutch's prototypes
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    All Dutchware
    2 thoughts.

Parking lots

People aren't very likely to walk miles into the woods to rob you. If anything they'll wait by car for you to come out. A friend of mine, when coming out of the woods, if he saw someone you looked out of place in the parking, he would have a look panic and shout a dog's name. When the person(s) would look his way, he would said something like, "have you seen a 80lb pit bull? he got just got away from me. If you see him yell to me because he does bite" He would throw his stuff in the car and leave. No one ever bothered him because their eyes were watching for the non-existence dog.

Another friend always leaves 2 or 3 gallons of water on his bumper. His thought is that if someone needs water they wouldn't break into his car looking any. Plus it was there (maybe) when he came back.

Besides books.

I have a guide on how to tie knots. It's folds up the size of a map. It's great for praticeing when your bored. Not to menation if you forget how to tie a certain knot out there, you have it with you.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast