WBBB
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG INC\TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

make sure you hike longer

Itinerary is very important more detail the better where you will be camping each night and the intended route. My suggestions is never very from this while alone. For your first outing go to some place that you are familiar with that you will have at least a few others there to see if you like it. Make sure you hike a good distance. My first solo trip I got to camp early set up my perfect hang, collected and stockpiled wood, filtered water for an army and then ran out of things to do. To be safe always hang your food or cannister it in bear country. It is easy to be sillent when hiking by yourself so sing a song every once in awhile to alert predators of your presance. I hike in moutain lion country and as long as you are loud they avoid your presence. It is definatley better to leave those type of encounters to when you are with others. No cougar food for me!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudorino View Post

1. I'm thinking of using a Steripen for water purification. What do you think of that idea?...
    Since water is priority #1, always have a back-up. Water purification tablets are easy to use, weigh next to nothing, and have a long shelf life.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    2 thoughts---the advice about bringing a book is great! Make sure its a great book---I usually read during rest breaks, whle dinner is cooking, before bed etc. It really makes the trip fun for me!
    As far as water filters go, My Pur hiker has never let me down. Eventually I plan to mod it into a gravity feed. Several years ago my old filter broke on day one of a 4 day trip. Fortunately, I had a home made wood stove on that trip, and just boiled my water. (Thats a huge advantage to wood stoves---unlimited fuel!) What could have been a show stopper was just a minor inconvenience. Im not sure i would trust a purifier that requires batteries! I like the advice about bringing some tablets along as a back up---I might start doing that my self!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Home Made from Acer
    Tarp
    Kelty
    Insulation
    Body Fat
    Suspension
    Mule's Special
    Images
    Got a friend that uses one of those " light pens"....he likes it, I fear it...( of course i dont understand it ) I use a PUR filter and love it....weighs little and i can clean it as I go.....

Now on the solo hike....

I was in the miltary, and "solo'ed" many times in the mountains....desert, and jungles for training....Always hang the food ( just a good idea ) I never did eat near my camp site always 50 yards or more away.....

I agree with the book....I have an E-Book ( Nook ) and love it...it holds 500 books, and weights less than 8 oz. and the battery lasts up to 2 weeks with constent run time...I always read just before sleep calms the mind, and relaxes me....

and like everyone else.....

HAVE FUN!!!!!! you will enjoy it I promise....

Jerry
    The only Easy day was yesterday.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Jerry, the nook is a great idea! My last trip, the book I brought along looked great, but after reading a little of it, it was a dud------I wouldnt have had that problem if I had brought a nook! Thanks for the idea! Somewhere on this forum, a fellow hiker mentiond that he brings his blackberry , or some type of pda and watches movies before he goes to bed at night! I thought that was pretty origional and clever!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Colorado solo hiking

I have hundreds of nights solo hiking in Colorado.

Yes, please use bear protection. I hung for years, but now have converted to Ursack. I do not care that you might have to walk out hungry, but a fed bear is a dead bear, and I do care about the bears.

Generally the water in Colorado is very clear. UV is a very good method considering the water sources, but a back-up is important.

Take enough pictures that you need to edit your pictures in your hammock each night. No pictures = never happened.

Babbling brooks do babble - you will swear you hear voices.

IMHO the more remote you are the safer you are. In the foothills west of Denver there are bears and cougars that sometimes eat household pets. The transition zone of woods and city is dangerous.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    DIY or SpinnUL BMJ
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    Um, haven't you seen 127 hours? Just kidding. Sounds like an awesome trip. I would love to go on a solo trip sometime but I would probably go to the Boundary Waters.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    DownMat 9
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudorino View Post
    You definitely brought up quite a lot that I hadn't previously considered like not camping too close to a river so you can hear noises and bring a book.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtbradyl View Post
    and bring a radio (with ear phones for use in case there are other hikers in the area)
    A radio or MP3 will drown out the noises even more completely. I can only bring myself to listening to music when I'm trekking up in the mountains where there are no trees and you can see for 10 miles in all directions. No surprises that way.
    - Tanstaafl.
    - Whoever said "No smoke without fire" never went camping.
    - It's just badass to have a yak.

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by food View Post

Babbling brooks do babble - you will swear you hear voices.
    +1 on that- I have a fan that sounds exactly like a news/talk show happening 2 rooms away, you'd swear they were just far enough away that you can't make out the exact words...

PS no help on the solo camping- I like hiking solo, but usually end up camping with friends.

Hammock
    ENO Double/HH Ultra Explorer
    Tarp
    OES 4 Season
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Don't forget about podcasts! I especially enjoy "things you should know" by howstuffworks. Really fun to learn about everything under the sun while being under the sun..

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast