WBBB
    Tarp
    SUPERFLY!!!
    Insulation
    No Sniv & Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by rongallant View Post
    I think you just added to my potential anxiety.
    I had a critter bump me in the booty last weekend. I had the tarp pitched way up high. I had seen rabbits cruising through the grass earlier in the night, so I assume that's what it was. No biggie. I have wondered what I would do if a bear came for a visit, but I doubt it will ever happen. Didn't even happen when a wigged out dude camped near our shelter and didn't clean up food well and didn't hang his food. All that said, I can empathize with the anxiety -- sometimes I feel it and have to deliberately relax myself.

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Whoa!!

Just viewed the LOTR video and noticed that at the end, Frodo seemed to have been comfortably wrapped in some kind of "pea pod".. Know that's that's taking "hanging" to a whole new level...

Very Cool! Clearly even Tolkien knew comfort!!!!

(Long time Tolkien fanatic!!!)
    Last edited by Chard; 06-27-2011 at 21:44.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Jarbridge River UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Not trying to hijack this thread, but I want to thank everyone for all the advice and responses. Like the OP I'm struggling to overcome anxiety about solo camping, and what everyone has had to say is really giving me a lot of confidence! In fact, I'm now planning to take my 22 lb dog with me, cause Fronkey's video was just awesome!

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies, ASR
    I would also add that I have never.solo hiked due to the risk of injury. Broken ankle etc. Anyone have input on this? That is my main concern that has kept me from going solo for days.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    @ Matt65. I was trained that the minimum mountain hike team was three, so if one was injured, one could stay and one go for help. Made sense if you were to be fairly self reliant. Now I hike in MA and NH, alone. However, I see other hikers every ten minutes or so and don't (generally) go off trail, so I'm not really "alone" from a safety POV. For overnight camp, we tend to be corraled into group camping centers/shelters, so one is not really alone. It is possible to sneak off trail and hang in the woods alone, but I admit to not having done so to date.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dl HB noseeum modified
    Tarp
    WB BMJ, HH hex
    Insulation
    winter incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt65 View Post
    I would also add that I have never.solo hiked due to the risk of injury. Broken ankle etc. Anyone have input on this? That is my main concern that has kept me from going solo for days.
    Well there is always risk in anything. You just have to mitigate risk were you can. Last fall, while trying to solo through hike the SHT, I fell hard on the trail and separated my shoulder. I had notified friends of my timetable, and had established check in points where I knew from my scout trips I would have cell service. In the end, I had cell reception where the accident happened. It was getting dark so I elected to make camp and hike to a trailhead in the morning but I could have called for help and been evacuated if I was unable to proceed. If the worst had happened and I was unable to continue and not had a cell signal, I would have missed my check in and that would have triggered a help response. Not to mention that other hikers would eventually be by. I had emergency supplies in my pack for just such an event.

It sucked to have my hike ruined but I survived and It really boosted my self confidence. I enjoy solo hikes as much or more because I know I can handle it if something goes pear shaped.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    W.L. Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 30 Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock Blackbird
    Not to mention how much it ups your chances of getting struck by lightning.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Well one concession I've made to my lovely wife is ... Solo ... I carry an ACR PLB. But she still worries. I do love solo trips but when you got great friends ... if they can go ... it's good to have them along!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG INC\TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    See my previous post go where you know there will be others even a few. That way if you have a problem your good. No need to cut limbs off like the hardcore 127 hours guy. Save the week long thru hikes into bfe for going with a buddy and itinerary is everything.

Hammock
    Clark NX150, HH DJ Zip XL
    Tarp
    Clark Camo
    Insulation
    TQ UQ By HG 3 seas
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Soloing is the best test of your outdoor skills. Experience has a way of comforting your mind. Whether it be a bear,( I left the Berkley Powerbaits in my tackle box!) A VERY close encounter. A Moose (Momma kicked him out and I looked like good company) A Closer encounter! Or a Killer SHREW Literally bit my boot! Fear makes you feel alive! Conquer your fears, relax, make video's, keep a journal, Eat well. Have a bump or two. LEARN HOW TO BE STILL. Enjoy your company. If something eat's you, think of the stories your friends and family will tell. You'll be a legend! I'm not an axe murderer, I just look like one!

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast